Dumb, then I got dumber

Wrknrvr

Yesterday I set off another can of bear spray in our Jeep. This time is was a 1/2” whole in the bottom. Several years ago I did it. But apparently did not learn.

I pulled the drivers side seat forwards and pinch the bottom of the can. So liquid cam out all at once.

This a good way to keep people away from me.

blank Vern

Well since I cannot post a link he the University of Montana on bear spray. It is locked. But umt.edu may get you there.

There is some good info on being as blank as me. It does show about bear spray cans exploding because of heat sitting on a dash in a car.

The other thing it has is about what soap to use to clean your skin. Not regular soap. Something like Johnson’s baby soap.

And do not get liquid on your skin of your hands. I can still feel it as a lite sting. Hot water makes it worse. Showering gets it on more places on your body  Try not to wash your face at such time, bad word will get on your face.

Today I will remove the carpet from the Jeep and treat it with Simple Green. And scrub the rest of the interior of the Jeep with simple Green also.

I also noticed that bear spray discharged in your vehicle gives you  the abilities to test N 95 mask for effectiveness.

I did remember last summer I accidentally set off some bear spray while riding a bicycle. Stopped to look at bear tracks and bad word got on my face as I apparently triggered the can of bear spray while not looking for that bear that I am sure he was laughing.

Wife cannot get into Jeep yet either.

Bad words can happen when you least expected it.

Vern

Have a good day,   Vern

On 2/25/2022 at 9:21 AM, Wrknrvr said:

Yesterday I set off another can of bear spray in our Jeep. This time is was a 1/2” whole in the bottom. Several years ago I did it. But apparently did not learn.

I pulled the drivers side seat forwards and pinch the bottom of the can. So liquid cam out all at once.

This a good way to keep people away from me.

blank Vern

We are planning a trip up to Montana and Wyoming this summer. I believe you are from around that area. Is bear spray, something we need to pick up and carry around with us? I would hate for it to go off in our smart car as it's concentration in a small area might make it much worse than your jeep!

2005 Freightliner Century S/T, Singled, Air ride ET Jr. hitch
2019 46'+ Dune Sport Man Cave custom 5th wheel toy hauler
Owner of the 1978 Custom Van "Star Dreamer" which might be seen at a local car show near you!

Check out http://www.hhrvresource.com/

for much more info on HDT's.

1 hour ago, Star Dreamer said:

Is bear spray, something we need to pick up and carry around with us?

Bear spray is one of those personal opinion things. Just traveling through and spending time in an RV in bear country doesn't make it vital in my opinion, but it is just an opinion. I have spend much of my life in areas where bears are present and have done a lot of hiking in such remote areas but never did carry it. We volunteered in a national wildlife refuge with the highest density bear population outside of Alaska and were put through training on what to do if confronted by a bear, but bear spray was not part of that training. But there were 2 of the staff there who always had a can of it on their belts when going into the more remote areas. While I never carry bear spray, I do go to some lengths to assure that bears know that I am coming and to avoid surprising them and to keep a good distance between us. I have never known anyone who has used bear spray at close quarters but I have read that it has happened. I think that if I were to go hiking into the back country like I used to do, I would probably get one of the belt pack containers of bear spray but I don't keep one in my vehicle as Vern seems to have.   ☺️

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

2 hours ago, Star Dreamer said:

We are planning a trip up to Montana and Wyoming this summer. I believe you are from around that area. Is bear spray, something we need to pick up and carry around with us? I would hate for it to go off in our smart car as it's concentration in a small area might make it much worse than your jeep!

It depends on if you plan to do backcountry hiking in bear populated areas or not. My wife and I spent time in Grand Teton, Yellowstone, and Glacier National Parks and hiked many of the backcountry trails. Since we are birders and photographers we walked quietly, and on one occasion came around a blind trail corner to find ourselves within about 50 feet from a bear (that had its back turned toward us). We were able to simply reverse our walk and head back the opposite direction, but I felt a little better having a large can of bear spray on a belt holster. 

We've never even come close to having an accidental puncture of the can, so I wouldn't think it a significant issue. They have safety clips and as long as you keep the can in a reasonably secure location (not rolling around on the floor or on the dash!!) it shouldn't be an problem. 

Mark & Teri

2021 Grand Designs Imagine 2500RL, 2019 Ford F-350

Mark & Teri's Travels

Yes the Jeep is still has a bear resistant interior. 

Unless a N 95 mask is used.   Yes the N95 mast does filter out bear spray. I sure hope the bears don’t start distributing N95 mask.

I have cleaned the carpets, seats doors windows and other stuff. Loaded the Jeep on the back of out truck for travels back to Montana. Will have windows open a tad. We have a custom van back in Montana to use while things evaporate out.

I also found my can of bear spray in the HDT. Just Incase.

Vern

Edited by Wrknrvr

Bear spray is more effective on brown then black bears.  On a search several years back another handler and his dog had an encounter with a black bear and deployed his bear spray.  He recalled his German Shepherd when he spotted the bear but the bear started following the dog, slowing only when the dog sat by his partner.  The bear continued to advance so at 25-feet the handler sprayed, hitting the bear directly on its face and shoulders.  This caused the bear to finally stop and sit, but not for long.  The bear again advanced and continued to do so into a direct facial spray, finally sitting 15 feet in front of the team.  This time while the bear was rubbing it's face and licked it's lips (yes really) the team backed away and escaped while the bear sat in the same spot.

Later,

J

2012 Landmark, San Antonio

2013 Silverado CC, 3500HD, Duramax, DRW, 4x4

Backup, side and hitch cameras, Tireminder TPMS

Bear spray is a very effective deterrent when used properly. In a 2008 review of bear attacks in Alaska from 1985–2006, Smith et al. found that bear spray stopped a bear's "undesirable behavior" in 92% of cases. Further, 98% of persons using bear spray in close-range encounters escaped uninjured.

Compared to a firearm, bear spray is more effective at interrupting a bear attack and using it reduces the chance that you, or the bear will be injured. Start spraying once an agitated charging bear is within 60 feet. The charging bear and the bear spray cloud will meet at about 30 feet. Bear spray has a high success rate of stopping charging bears before contact when the bear spray is deployed at this distance.  Studies show bear spray is a much more effective deterrent than a speeding bullet. Evidence of human-bear encounters even suggests that shooting a bear can escalate the seriousness of an attack, while encounters where firearms are not used are less likely to result in injury or death of the human or the bear.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

• 2 weeks later...

Wife and kids and I went for a hike in Glacier. Getting late and wife says we need to hurry and get back to the truck. Its getting late and the bears will be coming out. Get back to parking lot and there's a mamma grizzly and to cubs beside truck. Parking lot was closed the next day. Bear Alert

Updated news on cleaning bear spray from Jeep..

if you ever do such a blank thing. When you are cleaning the stuff out of a vehicle, wear clothes that you can throw away? Throw them away before ever going back into rv, or another vehicle.

Next thing not todo is handle any other stuff, like tools, coffee cup, keys or a coat.

Just yesterday I handled something that had some residual blank on it. Yep apparently touch lips after afterwards  Yep that stuff was on something I touched yesterday.

lips still can tell I did it yesterday.

Ok ok. I said I was blank in the beginning. Put moth balls in Jeep yesterday morning.

Will not need Jeep for a few weeks, so I will see if mothballs help.

Vernnnnnn

Edited by Wrknrvr

A friend of mine who has lived half his life in MT said to use vinegar as a neutralizing agent.  Don't know how "odiferous" the Jeep is, but you might try spraying vinegar on carpets, seats, etc.  Just a thought.

Renee

Dave, Renee & furkids Casey & Miss Kitty
1998 Volvo 610 Straight 10 "Leather n' Lace"; Herrin bed w/Rampage motorcycle lift; 2010 40' New Horizons Majestic; 2008 Harley FLSTC; 2006 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited; 1999 Yamaha 4X4 Kodiak (that is NOT with us!)

We were told this story by a Ranger in Wyoming. Take it for what it cost you.

A family from a large city was visiting Yellowstone and asked about bear spray. They were told that some people like to have it and others don't want to be bothered. They decided that they would take a can. As the clerk was ringing up the purchase they asked if one can was enough, since they had two children. Would one can cover all four of them? The clerk was tempted to sell them another can, but was laughing too hard.

David Lininger, kb0zke
1993 Foretravel U300 40' (sold)
2022 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS

Just so you know, the last line is supposed to be a the punch line to the joke...

Wildlife officials in Alaska are alarmed at the increase in grizzly bear attacks on humans, and they are advising the public to be extremely careful when hiking, fishing, hunting or camping.  They also advise people to wear small bells when they walk so they will alert grizzlies to their approach, and also to carry pepper spray in case of a close encounter.

The officials also say it would be wise to be alert for fresh signs of grizzly bear activity, such as piles of fresh bear poop.  Of course, you must be able to differentiate between brown bear and grizzly bear poop, so they offer the following:

Brown bear poop is usually small, and contains the remains of berries and sometimes squirrel fur.

Grizzly bear poop is larger, contains small bells, and smells like pepper.

+++++++++++_____________________________________+++++++++++

2021 Ram 3500  2017 Arctic Fox 25W(to be traded??)
HAM guy (Ke7FIX), photography, woodworking (mostly sawdust),
Electronics Technician,  USAF DAV

Going where everyone has gone before

event.png                                             

If I never post again it could be because I am going to walk among Grizzlies tomorrow.

Yep I am. Going fishing tomorrow on the Swan River in Montana. I do have another can of bear spray and  a side arm.

But not going to be in the Jeep.  It is still being deodorized. 

On a side note, bear spray could be used for Mexican food to spice it up. We had Mexican food a few nights ago, and it sure had something similar in it.

Also if you use used clothes that were used for bear spray cleanup. Make a note that bear spray stuck on buttons tends to get back on your lips somehow or other. Even weeks later.

Safe Travels,    Vern