What's your favorite way to get bugs off the front of the trailer, while traveling?

franco-bolli

Long term - You'll want to have a clear bra installed to save the front end from long term bug damage.

Short term - prerinse with a foam spray and let it soften up the bugs, use a bug remover spray like CarPro Tarx let it sit for a little bit and pressure wash the bugs off.

https://printsbery.com/digital-planners/productivity

Edited by cowolter

1 hour ago, cowolter said:

Long term - You'll want to have a clear bra installed to save the front end from long term bug damage.

Short term - prerinse with a foam spray and let it soften up the bugs, use a bug remover spray like CarPro Tarx let it sit for a little bit and pressure wash the bugs off.

The body shop where I worked as a bookkeeper loved vehicles with bras because stones get inside the bra and scratch the surface.

Linda

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

Out West many self car washes have outside bays for RVs.  I don't think I have seen them in the Midwest or East.  Anyway washing is the best solution.  I did try Bounce dryer sheets.  They sort of work if you don't have many bugs and are willing to take quite a bit of time trying to remove them.  

A couple of really good coats of wax on the front of the RV will help.  When I switched to Zep acrylic finish, it worked much, much better than regular wax in keeping the RV clean and bug free.  All measures failed me once.  I will never forget driving around Klamath Lake when a bug hatch was on.  I must have hit tens of thousands of them in a few miles.  They baked on for a month and by then it was too late.  I had to do a lot of scrubbing and repeated washing once I got home.

If you'll be in Florida or anywhere in the southeast the early morning is the best time to clean the bugs off.  The morning dew will soften them quite a bit.  BTW love bugs if left on too long can pit your paint.

Back on the road again in a 2011 Roadtrek 210P

2011 Tahoe 4x4, 2006 Lexus GX470, 2018 Ranger XP1000, 2013 RZR 570LE
http://finallynewellin.blogspot.com/

458863254_cabinavatarcopy.jpg.7751792e372f5959d079d77730f9290d.jpg

4 hours ago, folivier said:

BTW love bugs if left on too long can pit your paint.

Dare I ask when Love bug season starts? or does it never really end?? I imagine they can leave a stain on white fiberglass surfaces too.
I've been working on putting some screen material, like what is put over house gutters to keep leaves out, (1/8" Diamond shapes) on the inside of the grill of the truck to keep the radiators from loading up.  I did this on my 2004 truck with good success of keeping the big bugs out. The holes in the screen material didn't seem to affect the air flow and they didn't plug up with bugs. BUT bugs on the truck is a differnt topic altogether.

I bought some Lucas Slick Mist for my first attempt to make the bugs easier to remove. I also now have a bug sponge to help with the more tenacious globs.

It appears from the suggestions that applying a preventative of some sort before travel will help. Then using a soaking method of either just water in a towel or early morning dew is appropriate, then beatutifying the trailer (washing) to keep it up to the standards of the RV park, using very little park water. Then reapplying the preventative.

Thanks again for sharing your experiences.

+++++++++++_____________________________________+++++++++++

2021 Ram 3500  2017 Arctic Fox 25W(to be traded??)
HAM guy (Ke7FIX), photography, woodworking (mostly sawdust),
Electronics Technician,  USAF DAV

Going where everyone has gone before

event.png                                             

19 minutes ago, franco-bolli said:

Dare I ask when Love bug season starts? or does it never really end?? I imagine they can leave a stain on white fiberglass surfaces too.
I've been working on putting some screen material, like what is put over house gutters to keep leaves out, (1/8" Diamond shapes) on the inside of the grill of the truck to keep the radiators from loading up.  I did this on my 2004 truck with good success of keeping the big bugs out. The holes in the screen material didn't seem to affect the air flow and they didn't plug up with bugs. BUT bugs on the truck is a differnt topic altogether.

I bought some Lucas Slick Mist for my first attempt to make the bugs easier to remove. I also now have a bug sponge to help with the more tenacious globs.

It appears from the suggestions that applying a preventative of some sort before travel will help. Then using a soaking method of either just water in a towel or early morning dew is appropriate, then beatutifying the trailer (washing) to keep it up to the standards of the RV park, using very little park water. Then reapplying the preventative.

Thanks again for sharing your experiences.

Love bugs are only spring and fall, typically the months of May and September. Often, they seem to literally follow the calender month, so on June 1st. they're already disappearing. Jay