Calyx Institute?

LindaH

Anyone familiar with Calyx Institute and, in particular, their Internet plans?  I'm looking specifically at the MiFi M2000 5G Hotspot device.  According to the Calyx website, this is an unlimited plan.  It uses T-Mobile, but not their partners.  I've used the T-Mobile coverage map to track a route from our house to where we usually stay during the winter and coverage looks pretty good, with a few areas of either no service or partner coverage.

What I'm looking for is a WiFi device that we can use while traveling in the RV to be able to stream to our TV using our Amazon Fire Stick.  I'd like to be able to use our Visible phones as a hotspot, but the 5Mbps that they limit the hotspot usage to is simply not quite fast enough for a good streaming experience -- too much buffering.

The biggest limitation of this device for us is that it is not a pay-as-you-go plan.  But if it works at home, we can cancel our Century Link Internet plan.  

LindaH
2014 Winnebago Aspect 27K
2011 Kia Soul

I'd recommending checking with EZMobileData.  Been using them for two years now.  (We aren't an affiliate or anything.)  We've had good service from them when needed.  We just added a second SIM (added Verizon in addition to our existing AT&T.)   We were turned onto them initially from MobileMustHave.com where we bought our equipment.

Their Facebook page is here: https://www.facebook.com/ezmobiledata  Their website is https://www.ezmobiledata.com/

Though we're not affiliates, you can say Will and Lucinda with DWO sent you!  Nothing wrong with a little goodwill!

MyRVRadio - Streaming online 24/7 at MyRVRadio.com and via mobile apps! Content for RVers from RVers.   2018 Grand Design Momentum 399TH • 2019 Ford F-350 (DRW)
2016 Harley-Davidson Heritage • 2013 Harley Sportster with a sidecar
Web: https://MyRVRadio.com • Facebook: https://fb.com/MyRVRadio  

Wow!  I just checked out EZMobileData and they're a bit on the expensive side!  Even the Pink Plan which is with T-Mobile and is their cheapest plan, is about twice as much as Calyx Institute's plan which also uses T-Mobile...and that's just for the first year.  The second year with Calyx Institute is about $250 a year cheaper.

I'd still be interested in hearing from anyone who's used the Internet plan from Calyx Institute.  

LindaH
2011 Kia Soul

I am using the Calyx Institute plan on the M2000.  I had the plan on the Linkzone 2 for one year and decided to upgrade last month.  It is working great where we are for the winter.  I will know later in spring if it works better than the Linkzone 2 while we travel, but I suspect it will.  

Edit: I have done some speed tests over the last few weeks here in Mesa AZ.  The fastest was 162Mpbs and the one I just did was more typical at 92Mpbs down and 27Mpbs up.  The Linkzone 2 plan was 15 to 20Mbps here.

Edited by Bill Joyce

2004 40' Newmar Dutch Star DP towing an AWD 2020 Ford Escape Hybrid, Fulltimer July 2003 to October 2018, Parttimer now.
Travels through much of 2013 - http://www.sacnoth.com - Bill, Diane and Evita (the cat)

33 minutes ago, Bill Joyce said:

I am using the Calyx Institute plan on the M2000. 

Thanks, Bill.

RV Mobile Internet has a review and a couple of You Tube videos about Calyx Institute and the M2000.  They were favorable, so I think I'm going to go ahead and order it.

LindaH
2011 Kia Soul

DW has a prepaid Verizon phone and a prepaid (monthly) Orbic jetpack that may be turned on/off as desired. Because she added the Orbic to her prepaid plan it costs $30/month for 25GB, the 50GB plan is $40/month, the unlimited plan is $50/month.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

• 1 month later...
On 2/22/2022 at 6:17 AM, Bill Joyce said:

I am using the Calyx Institute plan on the M2000.  I had the plan on the Linkzone 2 for one year and decided to upgrade last month.  It is working great where we are for the winter.  I will know later in spring if it works better than the Linkzone 2 while we travel, but I suspect it will.  

Bill, I'd be interested in your update to how the M2000 works for you as you start traveling.

Do you use a booster for the M2000?  If so, which one?

I don't plan on purchasing the M2000 through the Calyx Institute until around September, a couple of months before we head south.

LindaH
2011 Kia Soul

On 2/25/2022 at 5:16 PM, Ray,IN said:

DW has a prepaid Verizon phone and a prepaid (monthly) Orbic jetpack that may be turned on/off as desired. Because she added the Orbic to her prepaid plan it costs $30/month for 25GB, the 50GB plan is $40/month, the unlimited plan is $50/month.

Unfortunately, it appears that Verizon no longer offers the unlimited plan for the prepaid data only plans.  Currently, their highest plan is 150GB for $100 a month, although they're offering a special deal right now where you can get it for $70 if you add it to your prepaid plan.  I'm not sure 150GB a month is enough data for us to use to stream and computer use.  Plus, $70 per month is more expensive than the Calyx Institutes' data plan using the M2000.

LindaH
2011 Kia Soul

We will be heading into California on Monday and will see how the M2000 does.   Last year the 4G plan worked in most places.  Been told that boosters don't do anything on the 5G bands, but we do have a weBoost Drive Reach booster.

2004 40' Newmar Dutch Star DP towing an AWD 2020 Ford Escape Hybrid, Fulltimer July 2003 to October 2018, Parttimer now.
Travels through much of 2013 - http://www.sacnoth.com - Bill, Diane and Evita (the cat)

Thanks for the information on the boosters.  I was not aware that they didn't help with 5G.  

Using the T-Mobile coverage map, it looks like we'll be in Extended Range 5G on all of our stops.  The only exception is when we're at Lake Mead NRA -- it's showing as an Ultra Capacity 5G area.  So, hopefully, we'll do okay with the M2000.

9 minutes ago, Bill Joyce said:

Been told that boosters don't do anything on the 5G bands, but we do have a weBoost Drive Reach booster.

LindaH
2011 Kia Soul

12 hours ago, LindaH said:

Unfortunately, it appears that Verizon no longer offers the unlimited plan for the prepaid data only plans.  Currently, their highest plan is 150GB for $100 a month, although they're offering a special deal right now where you can get it for $70 if you add it to your prepaid plan.  I'm not sure 150GB a month is enough data for us to use to stream and computer use.  Plus, $70 per month is more expensive than the Calyx Institutes' data plan using the M2000.

That review  also says "network management after 50gb."

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

Verizon has a history of cutting off without warning resellers who abuse their educational discounts.  I had to rapidly find new service for a half dozen mountaintop transmitter sites before I retired when they did this.   I don't know if T-Mobile has a similar policy but you should be aware these kinds of plans can be cancelled without notice.

On 4/5/2022 at 9:01 AM, LindaH said:

So, hopefully, we'll do okay with the M2000.

Just gonna throw this out there but I have not been very happy with the M2000 as a device. When it is working it works well. We have the T-Mobile 100gb plan and that uses the M2000. They have replaced it once after it apparently caused the SIM card to fail. So far we are on the second SIM card in the replaced unit. It will generate an error that says "invalid SIM card" and then it just quits. I'm about ready to cancel that line of service because I am tired of fighting with the device. I have had no reason to complain about the T-Mobile 5G service.

Also, Lake Mead NRA Headquarters has 5GUC coverage but not in the actual NRA. You'll only find UC in cities and even then not everywhere in a city. The UC towers are strange in that they have a very sharp delineation. I can literally go from our RV park across the road to be in UC coverage. 

SignatureNewest.jpg.a1bc8322b0862056fd28e25d5b1458db.jpg

On 4/8/2022 at 2:34 PM, Chalkie said:

Just gonna throw this out there but I have not been very happy with the M2000 as a device. When it is working it works well. We have the T-Mobile 100gb plan and that uses the M2000. They have replaced it once after it apparently caused the SIM card to fail. So far we are on the second SIM card in the replaced unit. It will generate an error that says "invalid SIM card" and then it just quits. I'm about ready to cancel that line of service because I am tired of fighting with the device. I have had no reason to complain about the T-Mobile 5G service.

Also, Lake Mead NRA Headquarters has 5GUC coverage but not in the actual NRA. You'll only find UC in cities and even then not everywhere in a city. The UC towers are strange in that they have a very sharp delineation. I can literally go from our RV park across the road to be in UC coverage. 

I'm on my second month with the Calyx plan/M2000.  The jetpack is ok, but I've had issues with it.  I've got an RMA to return it when I get to someplace I'm staying long enough to get mail, hopefully that fixes the issues.  Issues include randomly shutting off and dropping to 4G service vice 5G, even when I know there is 5G available.

With that being said, when it work, it's great.  Anywhere from 60 MBPS to 200 MBPS downloads, and 10-90 MBPS upload speeds, and no network management.  I've burned thru a several hundred GB of data per month so far on it.

2001 VNL 660

2018 DRV Fullhouse JX450

2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon

12 hours ago, aknavy said:

With that being said, when it work, it's great. 

Heh! Isn't that true of many things? I have to say that after many years as a T-Mobile subscriber this is the first time I have been disappointed in an offered device or service.

SignatureNewest.jpg.a1bc8322b0862056fd28e25d5b1458db.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I have the latest 5G box, and as long as your in the signal range of a T-Mobile tower you can get Internet access!  I am getting anywhere from 160 to 240 megs down, and anywhere from 10 to 70 megs up on a daily basis at home with the unit in my window.  That is on 3 bars of signal too.  Just watched 786 gigabytes of TV and it is still going strong!

• 8 months later...
On 2/21/2022 at 12:47 PM, LindaH said:

What I'm looking for is a WiFi device that we can use while traveling in the RV to be able to stream to our TV using our Amazon Fire Stick.  I'd like to be able to use our Visible phones as a hotspot, but the 5Mbps that they limit the hotspot usage to is simply not quite fast enough for a good streaming experience -- too much buffering.

I don't have a Fire Stick, stream using a Roku Ultra. 5Mbps is plenty fast enough to stream at 720dpi which works fine for us on our 50" Jensen TV that came with the trailer. The Roku has the ability to speed test to the device. They consider above 1Mbs as good. Less than that gives a poor signal warning. A couple of things I do to get the best speed possible is to tether the phone/tablet/mifi to the router and connect the Roku to the router by ethernet cable. This greatly reduces the speed loss that results if the connections between devices are made using wifi.