Wally Dish Receiver w/OTA Tuner & Other Ways to get TV in the RV

Can someone explain to me how the Dish Wally OTA tuner works with the Wally?  Is it a simple plug and play or do you have to hook the Wally up to the OTA antenna on the roof in some manner?

This article seems to say it's just plug and play, but I don't understand how the OTA tuner can pick up OTA channels all on its own.  Is it an antenna of some sort?

We're nearing the time when we're going to stop our home subscription to Dish in favor of streaming and OTA, but we need some way of getting TV in the RV when we head south this fall (OTA *only* is not sufficient for us).  One option, among others, that we are considering is purchasing a Wally and sign up for Dish Outdoors for the 4-5 months we're gone from home.  Looking at the accessories we can get, I'd be interested in the DVR, Wi-Fi adapter, and the OTA tuner ( DISH Wally HD Receiver - MOBILE-WALLY | DISH For My RV ).  But I'll forgo the OTA tuner if it's not a plug and play device.

LindaH
2014 Winnebago Aspect 27K
2011 Kia Soul

The add-on OTA receiver module for the Wally receivers requires a coax connection from your OTA antenna on the roof. The reception will only be as good as your antenna and location (distance, line-of-sight from the broadcast towers). We pay $10/month for locals on our Dish RV plan and change the locals with the phone app when we move. It's worked very well for 6-1/2 years full-timing.

Rob

2012 F350 CC LB DRW 6.7
2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
Full-time since 8/2015

StatesVisited20210913_small.jpg

Thanks, Rob.  I had a feeling it couldn't be a simple plug and play.

And you answered another question I had -- the cost of locals.  I know we pay an extra fee for locals on our home subscription,  but nowhere on the Dish Outdoors website, that I could find, do they state that locals are an extra fee.

LindaH
2011 Kia Soul

12 minutes ago, LindaH said:

Thanks, Rob.  I had a feeling it couldn't be a simple plug and play.

And you answered another question I had -- the cost of locals.  I know we pay an extra fee for locals on our home subscription,  but nowhere on the Dish Outdoors website, that I could find, do they state that locals are an extra fee.

You have to dig keep in the Dish information to find what you're looking for, but if you have an outdoor-only account (no Dish account for a stix 'n brix), what you want is called the Flex Pack. You can mix and match what you want (sports oriented vs. news vs. entertainment, etc.) and add locals. You may have to go through the "Dish For My RV" rigamarole or call Dish to get specifics.

Rob

2012 F350 CC LB DRW 6.7
2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
Full-time since 8/2015

StatesVisited20210913_small.jpg

I just got an answer back from Dish Outdoors regarding local channels:

"Local channels are included in all of our packages except the Flex pack. If you are interested in the Flex pack the charge for local channels would be $12.00."

LindaH
2011 Kia Soul