Truck fire Ford 6.7L Diesel

agesilaus

My truck caught on fire for no obvious reason. 2012 F350 6.7L 4WD. Has about 170K on it. Parked, engine off, no electrical gear on. Right side of the engine compartment caught on fire.
I had a wheel off to check the brakes pads, went inside for a minute, came out smoke coming from the truck, seemed to be small fire.
Got a pot of water from camper, came out and it was blazing.
Finally put it out with the hose but that whole side of the front end and the front of the truck incinerated. All that plastic burned like crazy.
Fire department and sheriff came out. FD said it looked to be electrical. Waiting for Allstate.

No one hurt, did not have a fuel fire and did not blow up so it could have been worse.

A rodent chewed through a wire on my 2015 6.7 diesel in Pinnacles National Park.
The truck gave a warning screen but still ran okay.
At the Ford dealership, they replaced a module and finally did the troubleshooting to find the broken wire.

Thankfully, the wire was broken, not shorted.  I hope that no other "undiscovered" damage occurred from that event.

Lance-white-sands-500.jpg

~Rich

Wow bummer! I'm glad it was not worse.

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

I encourage you to check on replacement values in your area.  Truck prices are very high and esp so if the insurance company's basis for value is KBB or NADA.  Checking on sale prices  of available replacement trucks might provide some perspective on what it will cost you to replace the truck they are offering $30K on.  I bought a 2015 Chevrolet 3500HD for my business about 16 months ago and in todays market, I can make 20% more if I was to sell it today, and that is on a truck that is 16 months older than when I bought it.

Marcel

We went out and looked at trucks yesterday. There did not seem to be a shortage in this area with the exception of new trucks. One Ford dealer must have had 40 to 50 used trucks on his lot. Weirdly we could not get a salesman out on the lot, the guy just told us to look online for prices. Every truck we saw yesterday was a crew cab

The nearby GM dealer's lot was almost empty of all vehicles tho, place looked almost shut down.

Went to the next set of dealers, found a good one at the Dodge place. He only had 2 on the lot but had quite a few gassers, all 2018 or newer. Looked at one 2019 3/4 ton diesel @ the mid 50K range. Test drove it and liked it. It was 2WD tho. My wife really wanted a 4WD so the salesguy took us out in a 3/4 ton 2020 Powerwagon gasser. Very nice but 69K, seems to something like a Ford Raptor. But claims it's good to tow up to 11K. I liked it but very pricey and I have my doubts about towing with. It was electric blue not a positive feature for me.

The salesman was only the second one who actually knew trucks, used RV jargon too like 'bumper pull'. Said he can find other trucks if we want him to.

Went by the big Ford dealer and his lots was almost empty, strange. The GM dealer had a full lot next to the Dodge place. I refuse to buy a GM. Stopped at Carquest and they had an identical Powerwagon at $60K.

And they had a almost exact duplicated of our truck except it is a short bed and had no topper and is a 2014. Asking $54K. Think that Dallas price must be for a different trim level or had high mileage or other problems.

The Dodge guy said we should get a check within a week once we agree with the Allstate people. Will try to talk up the price to say 40K.

We are planning to sell our other car, a 2017 Corolla, so will trade that in on the truck along with the cash. We are on the road so much it is just sitting most of the year.

• 1 month later...
On 2/17/2022 at 12:45 PM, agesilaus said:

Right side of the engine compartment caught on fire.

Got a pot of water from camper, came out and it was blazing.

Finally put it out with the hose but that whole side of the front end and the front of the truck incinerated.

All that plastic burned like crazy.

Pot of water?

When you find (or "have found") your replacement truck - suggest you add an "on board" dry chem extinguisher with a minimum of a 2A - 10BC rating.

Ditto one (or more) in "the camper".

😉

I have refillable deionized foam extinguishers in my workshop, basement, I also have large 10 pound charge CO₂ extinguishers on the bedroom floor and main floor. Our offices and computers are on that floor and CO₂ extinguishers do less damage in electronics.

Here's a good size foam extinguisher for vehicles:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/234320385611?hash=item368e95564b:g:LLcAAOSw8FxhrWpN

For folks unfamiliar here's a two minute video detailing types and which fires each are best for.

Here's a good size foam extinguisher for vehicles:

For folks unfamiliar here's a two minute video detailing types and which fires each are best for.

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

13 hours ago, Pappy Yokum said:

Pot of water?

When you find (or "have found") your replacement truck - suggest you add an "on board" dry chem extinguisher with a minimum of a 2A - 10BC rating.

Ditto one (or more) in "the camper".

😉

better to get a gas ex (used to be called halon--today's name?) not the dry chem. as the fire pulls in the gas, and the powder just packs in place.

A CO2 extinguisher would be worthless, the gas would escape out the open bottom of the engine compartment. I've been to Navy fire fighting school multiple times and am quite familiar with the various types of extinguishers.

CO2 extinguishers are effective when the gas is 'trapped' around the fire or you can supply new gas faster than it escapes. They are rated BC anyway not ABC

On 3/29/2022 at 6:48 AM, agesilaus said:

A CO2 extinguisher would be worthless, the gas would escape out the open bottom of the engine compartment. I've been to Navy fire fighting school multiple times and am quite familiar with the various types of extinguishers.

CO2 extinguishers are effective when the gas is 'trapped' around the fire or you can supply new gas faster than it escapes. They are rated BC anyway not ABC

Duh! - You said CO2 - not me !  (& a pot of water, ROTFL)

"They are rated BC anyway, not ABC" -   B = Flammable liquids, C = Electrical

C02 will work OK, even though it does not have an "A" rating (ordinary combustibles, like wood, paper, etc.).  Have done that (on vehicle fires) when it was the only option.

So, yes C02 - is *not* rated for class A fires....but most 10# dry chem (dry powder) -  or larger - *ARE* 2A 10BC rated!  Even those little 1 lb (one hand held) extinguishers are rated 1A, 10BC by UL.....which does equate to - - better than nothing!!

Been to all kinds of fire fighting schools, live fire flam liquid, etc. - and taught same (Del Val, L.A. County)  as well as many, many car/truck fires - large and small and those requiring a Class D extinguisher (Some VWs -beetles & vans- & Porsches have magnesium trans-axle center sections...the mag reacts with H2O) - but you knew that already!

Been on newly commissioned Navy ship/s which still had NAP nozzles & "overshots" - cause the specs from years previous called for them  (along with black & white TVs in crew areas). Worked with several Navy fire folks, both officers (he flew helos) and enlisted - who readily admitted the Navy was ahhhh.....".behind".... with equipment ("protein" - fish base foam) & training.

For gasoline tankers inc'l "doubles" at a bulk plant  (auto "overflow" shut off for tanker failed - driver left diesel engine running while he BS'd with watchman)  - foam (AFFF & "variants") is very "spectacular".   Extinguished fire - unfortunately, driver was DOA as he ran back to his tanker - just before engine "inhaled" gas fumes.

Even Mac the Fire Guy sold water extinguishers with AFFF additive.  Knock the heck out of your plastic & "leaking gasoline"  (been there done that) -  refill, & re-charge for "next time" by you - a bargain compared to "real" foam type!  (Still have one - 1 1/2 gal with nice in-line eductor!  Lighter at 15# charged, than the lightest C02.  Tested that on/at flam liquid demo along w/ lots of ABC types - did outstanding! RIP Mac - and thanks!)

Oh yeah - the std for car/pickup fires on one of the busiest fwys in the US - is/was *one*  large (Ansul) ABC rated dry chem.  (Ansul = legally refilled by FD).  Extinguish fire,  use water to wash away -and dilute- any leaked gas.  (large amts of gas = absorbent time).  Never failed, never needed -or used- the C02.....even for those beyond "saving" owned by dummies who didn't need *any* on-board extinguishers.

Yes dry chem is messy - but Insurance would take care of vehicle "rejuvenation" if possible.  Ignition source investigation provided by the Officer (for 'CFIRS' reqs) - or an Arson Investigator if deemed suspicious in/at whatever location.

Even *paid* Class 1 FDs (like where your son is employed) may be about 5 min -or more- away from your pickup fire!

😁....😁...☹️

Edited by Pappy Yokum
MILES of smiles & the ABCs & for Agesilaus

Guys, I said foam for vehicles and other fires and in my post I said that: "Our offices and computers are on that floor and CO₂ extinguishers do less damage in electronics." They are there only for TV and computer fires and I know fro USAF training their limitations thus the foam. If you have a fire on a vertical surface good luck with powder-it just slides off

Where do you get vehicle fires out of that? LOL!

and then I went on to post a link to what I carry in my vehicles - foam extinguishers:

"Here's a good size foam extinguisher for vehicles:

For folks unfamiliar here's a two minute video detailing types and which fires each are best for."

CO2 a trigger for some I guess. Watch the video? Sheesh guys! 😂🙄

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

"RV" my reply was to/for Agesilaus, not you.

However" - although real *FOAM* extinguishers are outstanding - they are "pricey"!  If you can afford same,  - go for it.  Downside - expensive to replace or pay to recharge!  Still better than replacing your vehicle.  The alternative -refill & recharge by YOU- from Mac is/was equally outstanding!

He supplied a small bottle of AFFF for refills (I had plenty aleady).  Wish I knew who supplied Mac with the 1 1/2 gal water "can"  w/eductor he sold (supplied empty).

BTW - variations of hand-held HALON are still avail for Acft  & some "remote" applications (like fusible link activated in RV fridge enclosures)  but equally "pricey"!

Bottom line - whether from an extinguisher service outfit - or the local big box store.....read & understand the UL certification.  Also, stand your ABC dry chem (large or small) on it's head from time to time to loosen up the dry powder- AND check the gauge!

Most jurisdictions require any/all *commercial* occupancies to have their dry chem re-charged & all types on site annually re-certified & tagged by a licensed agency. You can too - but cheaper to buy a new one. 

Many businesses did just that ....replace req'd (no telling how long on store shelf) ...-or- recert....annually.  Owner's business - his choice.

Edited by Pappy Yokum
Fire Code req's added

Uno Mas !!

Stop by your local Fire Dept Station - whether Vol or Paid.  Often they do periodic fire training for hospital nursing staff  (required in the state where I live).  Or demos during fire service day, etc.

Sooo - when the extinguisher servicing was due (at the hospital) we would provide classroom training prior to the visit by the extinguisher guy.  Live fire - small flammable liquid ("supervised") fire, steel pan in pk lot - with extinguishers that were to be serviced after use. Three major hospitals = lots of training!

BTW - well attended by nurses & (reqd) & some physicians (not req by the docs - but they did like the classroom info - extinguishers for their boats, LOL). 

Many of those nurses never realized.... "pull the pin - first!".....in order to operate!  Does your DW?

😉