RV Heater Not Continually Running

CalebJ

I have a 2012 Keystone Cougar, and have recently had issues with my heater not maintaining the temperature I set the thermostat to. It will turn on initially, but after it reaches that desired temperature, it won't kick back on. I typically have to turn the system off, then back to heat in order to get the furnace going again. If the heater has been running and then stopped running, I can turn the desired temp to max and the furnace still won't kick on. I replaced the analog Coleman Mach thermostat today, (having read a bad thermostat could cause this issue), but no luck. Propane tanks are full, I tried swapping the tanks just in case. 

Would appreciate the help, got a one year old I'm trying to keep warm in below freezing temperatures at night. Thanks!

8 hours ago, CalebJ said:

Would appreciate the help,

Welcome to the Escapee forums! We are here to help so will do the very best that we can to find a solution. Based on what you have shared my first suspicion is that your furnace needs the ignitor probe replaced. Without knowing what make and model your furnace is, it is difficult to diagnose for sure but that is a very common failure in most brands/models of RV furnace that is in the 10 year old range. You probably have either an Atwood or a Suburban furnace. Has it been working properly until recently? How long has it been since the furnace was cleaned and serviced? Are you connected to 120V shore power? If you can share more information it will be helpful in narrowing the possible causes of they problems.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

There can be a number of issues that can cause your problems.  But in order to help you the best we will need to know the make and model of the furnace.  Most of us do not know what furnace was used in a 2012 Cougar RV.

It could be a high temperature sensor locking the furnace out until the thermostat is reset.

Ken

Amateur radio operator, 2023 Cougar 22MLS, 2022 F150 Lariat 4x4 Off Road, Sport trim <br />Travel with 1 miniature schnauzer, 1 standard schnauzer and one African Gray parrot

Worth mentioning is that some thermostats, such as the Dometic's, can have their on/off set point or delta adjusted.  When set to 3-degrees it can feel quite cool before restarting the furnace especially in an RV that is less than weather tight. Tried to post Dometic's pdf instructions for reprogramming but it was was too big. 

Later,

J

Edited by KodiakJack

2012 Landmark, San Antonio

2013 Silverado CC, 3500HD, Duramax, DRW, 4x4

Backup, side and hitch cameras, Tireminder TPMS

2 hours ago, KodiakJack said:

Worth mentioning is that some thermostats, such as the Dometic's, can have their on/off set point or delta adjusted.  When set to 3-degrees it can feel quite cool before restarting the furnace especially in an RV that is less than weather tight. Tried to post Dometic's pdf instructions for reprogramming but it was was too big. 

Later,

J

You could simply post a link to that pdf , maybe ??? ;)

Goes around , comes around .