StarLink

dewilso

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've had Starlink (round dish) for several months.  It performs exceptionally well.  Can't understand why the OP says he is anxious.

Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/brake system
WiFiRanger Ambassador
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

Getting the rectangular one, I’m at Rainbows End.

My daughter is a RN & she coordinates nurse support for pediatric critical home care working remotely….with 3-5 MPS on a good day. They ordered the same time but haven’t received anything. I told her to call Starlink to see if my service address could be temporarily changed to their address.

Dave W. KE5GOH

Stuck in the 70's ---

In E. Texas

2 hours ago, dewilso said:

Getting the rectangular one, I’m at Rainbows End.

My daughter is a RN & she coordinates nurse support for pediatric critical home care working remotely….with 3-5 MPS on a good day. They ordered the same time but haven’t received anything. I told her to call Starlink to see if my service address could be temporarily changed to their address.

Yes, StarLink will move the dish to her location.  HOWEVER, when you want to move it back to your location there might ZERO OPEN SLOTS so you COULD be unable to use it at your location.

Depending how far away your daughter is from your location, it might work at BOTH LOCATIONS.  I moved my dish from my second home to my primary home.  The distance as the crow flies is exactly TEN MILES. 

It works at both locations.

Your just over the hill from me in Wenatchee.  I wonder how far south they are filling orders??

Edited by Vladimir

Vladimr Steblina

Retired Forester...exploring the public lands.

usbackroads.blogspot.com

Vl

10 hours ago, Vladimir said:

Your just over the hill from me in Wenatchee.  I wonder how far south they are filling orders?

I'm at Rainbows End in Livingston Texas, Google doesn’t even know of a Wenatchee close to me.

The daughter lives 100mi north so I know that I’d loose my slot, but it would be a lot more beneficial for her.

I still haven’t received shipping conformation.?

Dave W. KE5GOH

Stuck in the 70's ---

In E. Texas

2 hours ago, dewilso said:

Vl

I'm at Rainbows End in Livingston Texas, Google doesn’t even know of a Wenatchee close to me.

The daughter lives 100mi north so I know that I’d loose my slot, but it would be a lot more beneficial for her.

I still haven’t received shipping conformation.?

That is because in the entire world there is only ONE Wenatchee!!  Google gave me the Rainbows End Coop on the Olympic Pennisula.

Zulu, thanks for posting the graph.  That was interesting.

Vladimr Steblina

usbackroads.blogspot.com

• 2 months later...

Actually talking with a gentleman here in this park we in. He is using Starlink and says it is a game changer for them. Loves it. Has had no problems in all the areas he has been in. 

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

Howdy!

I’ve had our Starlink up and running for a couple of weeks now and it’s doing great. 
I was unable to get one at our homebase here in Livingston. I check the Starlink map and found an open area in the Coldsrings area near by. I used a campground address there and it shipped to my Escapees mail within a few days. Setup went without a hitch.

” Happy Trails “

Chiefneon 

"Class of 2007 Fulltimer's"

Gary & karen

Smoochie & Michaela (fur babies)

2018 Chevorlet 3500 HD/LTZ 2L Custom Hauler

2014 Heartland Cyclone 4000

2016 Smart Car Prime

55 minutes ago, Vladimir said:

At the campground or your homebase??

Howdy!

If this question was for me. I used a different address to order. Shipped to my Escapees mail address and set it up at my homebase located just outside the Escapees park here in Livingston. The address to the campground I used to placed the order is about seventeen miles from my homebase. Starlink states the area my homebase is full and wouldn’t be shipped until sometime next year. The address I used was available tand shipped and delivered within a week. 

“Happy Trails”

Chiefneon

Edited by chiefneon

Gary & karen

2016 Smart Car Prime

18 minutes ago, Vladimir said:

Yep, it was to you.

That is interesting....you used a address with an open cell, and set it up in a "closed" cell, but it worked.

Is that correct??

ABSOLUTELY! It’s up and running no problems. There is a FaceBook group “Starlink for RVers and other mobile users”. This group has a lot of information for RVers using Starlink and being able to move around the country and by all accounts is working, some including Canada an Mexico. That FB group is we’re I learned about changing the address and being able to quickly receive my Starlink.

Edited by chiefneon

Gary & karen

2016 Smart Car Prime

Starlink_ videos. There is a lot more but you get the jist.

Edited by Ray,IN

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

That availability video is worth watching.  It explains a LOT.

Basically the towns and cities are OUT.  Which is what StarLink said........... it is for rural areas.

Basically, the video says that order outside of town and it will probably work in town, if close.

That is what happened with me in Wenatchee, but we have had fiber for over 20 years now thanks to the county government in Wenatchee.  The dish stays 10 miles away at the second home.   

Only "blow" I saw was Missoula was light green, while the Bitterroot Valley was dark green.   

Vladimr Steblina

usbackroads.blogspot.com

16 hours ago, Vladimir said:

Basically the towns and cities are OUT.  Which is what StarLink said........... it is for rural areas.

Basically, the video says that order outside of town and it will probably work in town, if close.

Here is a quote from an interesting article in the MIT Technology Review. 

“It’s really meant for sparsely populated regions,” SpaceX founder Elon Musk said at a conference in June. “In high-density areas, we will be able to serve a limited number of customers.” 

What strikes me from that quote and from the map is that the waitlist areas are all in urban areas where it would seem that it has been snapped up already. A couple of possibilities come to mind. One is that the urban areas were allowed to get it first without a long waiting list initially because the disposable income is higher and it is income that Starlink clearly needs. Since there has already been an increase in monthly fees I think that is evident. Personally, if there is another monthly fee increase in the near future again I will likely drop the service no matter the speed or convenience.

SignatureNewest.jpg.a1bc8322b0862056fd28e25d5b1458db.jpg

5 hours ago, Chalkie said:

Here is a quote from an interesting article in the MIT Technology Review. 

What strikes me from that quote and from the map is that the waitlist areas are all in urban areas where it would seem that it has been snapped up already. A couple of possibilities come to mind. One is that the urban areas were allowed to get it first without a long waiting list initially because the disposable income is higher and it is income that Starlink clearly needs. Since there has already been an increase in monthly fees I think that is evident. Personally, if there is another monthly fee increase in the near future again I will likely drop the service no matter the speed or convenience.

Not sure disposable incomes are higher in urban areas. 

Lots of professionals in rural areas that make good money and have very low living costs.  That is how I ended up retiring at 56 and owning three homes in retirement.  Never made much money, but then again, it didn't cost much for living expenses.  Yeah, being country before country was cool, helped a lot.

I remember sitting in a Forest Economics class where all of us students were complaining about NOT having enough disposable income.  The Professor, just laughed, and said "right now in your life, you have MORE disposable income than you will for years and years".  He was right.

But I am not if sure StarLink filled urban orders first.  There is a huge waiting list for StarLink dishes.  I have a friend, that ordered FOUR dishes for his properties in a very rural area.  He had to place the orders under different names, since StarLink was limiting orders even in rural areas.  As of a few months ago, he only has ONE dish.

Dropping the StarLink service depends on your location.  At my second home, I have NO grid electricity, NO cell phone service, except for voice with amplifier,  NO TV service (neither cable, nor from antenna), and of course NO internet.

I have a VERY BAD quality landline for voice only for 911 emergencies.  I pay $50/month for that.

So for me, I will keep StarLink it is a bargain.  BTW at my urban house, ten miles away as the crow flies, I pay pretty close to 300 dollars a month for all those services.

I really don't understand why Musk wants to buy Twitter.  He needs to buy Verizon and offer cell service as well as StarLink. 

It makes total sense.

Edited by Vladimir

Vladimr Steblina

usbackroads.blogspot.com

We've had Starlink at our homebase site in Rockport TX for about 6 months and it has been great.  Until then our only internet connection was via cellular.  We typically get 150-200 Mbps download speeds although they can drop suddenly and the past 24 hours have been particularly rocky.  Some people blame that on yesterday's satellite launch, but that's not it since it takes them many weeks before the satellites are in position to be used.  But it's a lot better than what we used to have.  We've not going to take it traveling since I don't want to lose my "slot" in our cell.  Furthermore, we have the older round version with the permanently attached Ethernet cable.  No easy way to get it back out of the ~50 feet of conduit it is sitting in.

Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/brake system
WiFiRanger Ambassador
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

• 4 weeks later...

I ordered my starlink set up and paid for roaming last thursday, it was delivered today.  I will be doing some modification to the RV to make set up in a camp site easier.  looking forward to ditching the spectrum/charter junk that has given me issues at home for 3 straight years. 

My Starlink speed&latency has, in the past few weeks turned to crap here at Rainbows end. Is anyone else having similar experiences? I've rebooted, reset, stowed, unstowed with no change, & there are NO obstructions. High 30’s down with latency over 100 is my norm now.

Is there a market place for used equipment ?

Dave W. KE5GOH

Stuck in the 70's ---

In E. Texas