Battery Lock? How are you securing your batteries from theft?

franco-bolli

With the cost of LiPo batteries $450+ each (most times more) I'd like what ever batteries I purchase, to stay on the trailer until I decide to remove them.

I know a lot of folks are fortunate enough to have space inside their rigs to put batteries, but for the sake of this dicsussion, let's say that the only space available is on the tongue.

I found a couple of battery locks on-line  such as the California Immobilizer battery lock (2 for about $160) and another battery shackle on Amazon for about $150. Those would probably work Short of putting an enclosed metal battery box on the tongue  with a single lock on it.

What, if anything, have you done to protect your batteries from being stolen?   

I guess more importantly, have you ever had batteries stolen while you were away from your rig (not including storage)?

I could ask the same thing about LP tanks...

Thanks for your time in responding.

+++++++++++_____________________________________+++++++++++

2021 Ram 3500  2017 Arctic Fox 25W(to be traded??)
HAM guy (Ke7FIX), photography, woodworking (mostly sawdust),
Electronics Technician,  USAF DAV

Going where everyone has gone before

event.png                                             

1 hour ago, franco-bolli said:

What, if anything, have you done to protect your batteries from being stolen?   

I guess more importantly, have you ever had batteries stolen while you were away from your rig (not including storage)?

I could ask the same thing about LP tanks...

I have never heard of a battery theft or a propane tank theft but our son did have a spare tire stolen from the RV while in storage on an Army base. Of that reason I do have a lock on the spare tire on our travel trailer and this year I did pull the battery off and bring it home but that was mostly to be able to keep a float charger on it all winter. Now that you mention the possibility of propane bottle theft, I may bring that home as well. 

If you are thinking about while the trailer is in use, I would think that the risk is pretty minimal but may well have happened somewhere, sometime. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

I think you have a point Kirk, I've not heard of anyone losing a battery or an LP tank while they were at a campground, Thats why I'm wondering if it ever happens.   

A generator or a bicycle being taken, yes. 

I've also not heard of anyone actually losing a trailer to theft while at a Campground while they were out sight seeing, but I see a lot of TT hitch locks and 5th wheel collars during the nightly stroll in the campgrounds..

Thanks for the reply.

BTW, This is quite off topic. but I came accross this device that generates small amounts of electricity from an open flame.  Might be good for dry campers that want to charge their phone while sitting around the campfire...  This is a much smaller thermoelectric convertor than what was used on mountain top of radio repeater sites that had LP tanks to fuel them.

https://espressomilkcooler.com/thermoelectric-power-generator-systems-for-sale/

event.png                                             

• 2 weeks later...

Someone I know through a manufacturer specific RV forum reported having his lithium batteries stolen while his trailer was in storage.  The batteries were in a battery compartment with a cabinet type lock (OEM) that wasn’t very secure - the thieves used pliers or something like that to rotate the whole lock.  Apparently his trailer wasn’t the only trailer targeted in his storage facility, and all of the ones targeted had some sort of Bluetooth capability.  The thieves just go down a row and look for a signal - something to think about when choosing batteries.  My lithium batteries don’t have a Bluetooth capability but my solar system does, not sure what I would do if I weren’t full-time.

I’ve heard of lockable battery boxes but haven’t looked recently for them.  I ended up moving my batteries inside since they fit into a spot that wasn’t particularly useful for anything but a perfect size for the batteries.  I started to look for some sort of locking box to put on the tongue where the batteries used to be but wasn’t interested enough to really research it.

Several people on that forum have reported stolen trailers from various storage facilities in the past year or two.  I don’t know anyone who’s had a trailer stolen at a campground or out boondocking.  I do know someone who once had a smaller propane tank that was attached to his grill stolen at a densely occupied boondocking site near Quartzsite a couple of years ago, but that’s been about it.

I have a coupler lock and will use it when I’m boondocking but tend to not bother if I’m in a campground.

I have friends who have made their own “lockable” system for their generators, mainly for when on their service/welding trucks. While not full proof it does keep honest thieves (or atleast ones that don’t have proper tools or time) from stealing them. They use a piece of steel flat stock for the top plate, drill two holes for the side posts and place rebar through them. Then weld the rebar to the top plate. They put the plate over top of their generator and wherever they put their generator they secure it. (One has theirs at back of his cab, and drilled holes through his bed. He then welded a plate underneath to the rebar) You could do something like this to the storage plate of your trailer. 

PITA, yes! Pretty effective, yep!

Edited by Backcountry1

I've had thoughts about changing all of the CH751 locks on my camper since adding LFP batteries.
Even more persuasive is the increasing number of rolling homeless and As the small population of thieves becomes more knowledgeable about RV's and the simple lock systems employed,
I expect there will be more theft from RV storage compartments.
Speaking for myself, every item I carry is important.  Theft of a drill motor could be equal to the cost of replacing all the locks. 

Lance-white-sands-500.jpg

~Rich

There are commercially made battery shackles that lock the batteries that are exposed on a travel trailer but they are somewhat expensive. My son fabricated his own with some leftover electrical strut material.

The batteries for my fifth wheel are in their own compartment does not have a lock but I have considered putting a lock on that cabinet if I can find one that uses the same double sided keys that that rest of the bay doors use. 

SignatureNewest.jpg.a1bc8322b0862056fd28e25d5b1458db.jpg

59 minutes ago, Chalkie said:

There are commercially made battery shackles that lock the batteries that are exposed on a travel trailer but they are somewhat expensive. My son fabricated his own with some leftover electrical strut material.

The batteries for my fifth wheel are in their own compartment does not have a lock but I have considered putting a lock on that cabinet if I can find one that uses the same double sided keys that that rest of the bay doors use. 

You mean the same key that fits almost every other bay door in America ? ;)

I know , every little bit supposedly helps . :)

But , I'd rather replace batteries than a bay door . 

Edited by Pat & Pete

Goes around , comes around .

2 hours ago, Chalkie said:

Actually, no I don't. I think Montana actually made an effort to have a large number of different keys, kind of like cars only not so many as that I think.

Great , if it's true . ;)

I still wouldn't bother .

Edited by Pat & Pete

Goes around , comes around .

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting thing about the blue tooth as an identifier of the location. I've tried to remember to turn my bluetooth off on my phone when I enter a store or mall. Not that I'm paranoid, but the store doesn't need to know how long I spend at a given location while I'm there..

There is a fabrication shop near by, maybe I'll stop by to see if he can dream something up to secure the batteries in place, once I get the lithium batteries that is..

I just bought a hitch lever lock from PACLOCK and is seems to fit well. I've heard they (PACLOCK) are working on the  hitch lock, similar to what Masterlock and "california immobilizer" have. 

Thanks for the comments.

event.png                                             

• 1 month later...

if someone wants mine, i hope they enjoy the wrecked back.

bunch of 6V lead acid deep cycles. and they are bolted down.

if i can ever afford the fancy lithium, then again weight, (something like this https://amperetime.com/products/ampere-time-12v-400ah-lithium-lifepo4-battery?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI-vmdgqXs9gIVdBatBh0cQw2cEAQYASABEgIFgvD_BwE )     as i would buy the larger units. and bolt them down. as well as engrave them with a ID info.  might help some?

I look at locks much the same as insurance.  What does the item cost v. what does the insurance cost?  What are the odds something will happen that I need to replace said item?

I have very little insurance (except liability umbrella) and very few locks. Locks just keep your friends out......

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

• 3 weeks later...

Think about the damage the thief might do to your bay doors as well. How much will it cost to repair them?

I doubt that many thieves would be interested in stealing either of our house batteries, as they weigh 150 pounds each. When it is time to replace them I'll make sure the store has a couple of strong young men to do the work....

David Lininger, kb0zke
1993 Foretravel U300 40' (sold)
2022 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS

I've been rving since 1976; I've never heard or read of a battery or LP cylinder being stolen from an RV, other than when in remote storage.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

On 1/28/2022 at 2:30 PM, franco-bolli said:

With the cost and the weight of a LiFePO4 battery, we may start to hear of thefts of them as they would be far less difficult to carry away. Probably more likely to happen in places like the COE parks or boondocking, but like you I do think that it could start to happen once the people who steal catalytic converters learn of the value of them. I was just looking at Amazon and they have several options.

On 2/21/2022 at 7:01 PM, franco-bolli said:

I just bought a hitch lever lock from PACLOCK and is seems to fit well. I've heard they (PACLOCK) are working on the  hitch lock, similar to what Masterlock and "california immobilizer" have. 

I use the Reese coupler lock that I got from Amazon. I only put it on if storing the trailer.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI