Travel with alergies

Fred Dantzler

6 minutes ago, Fred Dantzler said:

We want to travel but my wife takes weekly alergy shots.

Welcome to the Escapee forums! There may be a couple of options that would work such as self administered shots or the doctor could teach you to give the shots, as our doctor taught our son to self administer and my wife to be his backup. Most allergy shots can be handled that way and the medication could be shipped to you like other prescription medications. 

There may be others here who have dealt with the allergy issue so hopefully they will join in. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

I'd first recommend that you talk to your doctor.  He may have recommendations.  It might depend on what kind of allergies - food, environmental.  As you travel you're going to be surrounded by different pollens.  Perhaps if you get your doctor's OK you could carry your prescription and stop at an Urgent Care facility as you travel.

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

I was strongly considering taking the tests and then the shots but traveling would make that difficult.  My doctor gave me an Rx for Singulair.  Normally taken for asthma but is used also for allergies.  Remarkable results.  I'll occasionally feel something allergy related but take a Zyrtec at night and have been cleared the next morning since I started the daily Singulair.

Back on the road again in a 2011 Roadtrek 210P

2011 Tahoe 4x4, 2006 Lexus GX470, 2018 Ranger XP1000, 2013 RZR 570LE
http://finallynewellin.blogspot.com/

458863254_cabinavatarcopy.jpg.7751792e372f5959d079d77730f9290d.jpg

On 1/25/2022 at 11:46 AM, Fred Dantzler said:

We want to travel but my wife takes weekly alergy shots. Anybody know if these can be taken in dif. cities?

Best place to go for answers to that question is to have your Wife inquire from her "Allergy" physician

Depending on they type of allergies, her reactions to said allergies  and how long she has been taking the "Shots". In the initial phase of those injections they must always be done at an office with the appropriate emergency equipment available. Some are able to be done by a trained family member only if the injections have been successful for an extended time and attempts to wean from them have failed. 

I am a licensed health care provider, but the information provided is not a prescription nor a consultation, just a general answer to the question posed above. 

Rod

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

The problem I see is the definition of allergies. So many different allergies.

I'm a bad hay fever sufferer. So we travel with a bag full of hay fever pills.

We all so both have bad food allergies. The ones caused by visiting too many restaurants!! 😁

Don't let allergies stop your dreams. There are many ways to work with or around them. I suffer from cluster headaches and migraines. If I let them rule my life it would be a sad sad existence.

It sounds like she is taking desensitization shots.  These sorts of programs are specific to the individual, their allergies, and the plan to desensitize.  You are not likely to be able to just drop in on another allergist and have them administer the correct shot.  If you are going to a specific location and there is an allergist nearby, perhaps your wife's current allergist can consult and make arrangements with the new allergist to continue therapy.

For a short trip it might be possible for an allergist to provide a dose or two for self administration, but I doubt it.  Desensitization means being injected with a substance the individual is allergic to.  The idea is to administer small amounts to deplete the patient's antibodies without causing a reaction or stimulating more antibody production.  It is all but black magic and something the allergist needs to assess constantly.

2 hours ago, JimK said:

It sounds like she is taking desensitization shots.  These sorts of programs are specific to the individual, their allergies, and the plan to desensitize.  You are not likely to be able to just drop in on another allergist and have them administer the correct shot.  If you are going to a specific location and there is an allergist nearby, perhaps your wife's current allergist can consult and make arrangements with the new allergist to continue therapy.

For a short trip it might be possible for an allergist to provide a dose or two for self administration, but I doubt it.  Desensitization means being injected with a substance the individual is allergic to.  The idea is to administer small amounts to deplete the patient's antibodies without causing a reaction or stimulating more antibody production.  It is all but black magic and something the allergist needs to assess constantly.

I would agree with this. When I was doing the desensitization thing, I administered my own injections (I'm a retired Army nurse, so not a big deal). I she or her husband are willing to learn how - and it's OK with her allergist - this is an option for the road. The vials are just stored in the refrigerator and she'd need to have Epi-Pens with her.

Rob

2012 F350 CC LB DRW 6.7
2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
Full-time since 8/2015

StatesVisited20210913_small.jpg

See if her doctor would set her up with allergies-drops (for lack of a better term).  These are brewed/mixed after testing for a particular persons  allergies and simply put under their toung as prescribed.  Works well both the wife have done this.

Later,

J

2012 Landmark, San Antonio

2013 Silverado CC, 3500HD, Duramax, DRW, 4x4

Backup, side and hitch cameras, Tireminder TPMS

Also, you are going to be subjected to many different allergens than the ones handled by the allergy shots.  I do a lot of traveling as I full-time, and I found that southeast US allergens are worse for me--mostly pine and other plants that thrive in warm, moist places.  These change when I go to the Northwest, where the climate is cold and moist.  Deserts are usually good, but depends on time of year.

Just telling you this so you will not be surprised when place and time of year affect your wife's allergies.  Medications such as Singular are a big help in those cases. 

Don't give up traveling, but do keep in touch with your allergist.