Unwanted Text messages on your Cell Phone

lappir

Why is it when you provide your phone number to places they automatically assume that you will accept text messages on that phone????????

My plan has unlimited data, but a limit on the amount of Text Messages I can use. At first I didn't think much of it. I didn't text much and didn't receive many either until I texted a recruiter once and then had a barrage of texts that brought me close to my limit one month. From that time on I refused text messages from anyone other than a few family members and close friends who have all been told if they abuse it they may be "BLOCKED". 

I made a Dr's appointment last week and expected a "Call" to remind me, but got a "Text" instead. I wonder what they will say when I inform them they don't have permission to use my phone number for anything other than phone calls. I did not provide a "Text" number. 

That's my rant for today. 

Rod

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

I've never heard of a phone plan that didn't have unlimited talk and text.

I'd much rather get a reminder text than a call, which I'll likely miss and it'll go to voice mail, which I have "disabled" by allowing it to fill up to capacity because of all the spam voice mails, and Verizon's incredibly slow and annoying announcements about each message.

I've also been seeing an increase in Spam texts.  I guess the law doesn't matter to these people.

Edited by hemsteadc

Go to CVS, Bed Bath & Beyond, Pets Smart, Best Buy etc and if you give them you phone or email to get rewards you will be barrage with texts and emails. I stopped all rewards programs for this reason. 

2015 Itasca Ellipse 42QD

2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Hard Rock Edition

2021 Harley Street Glide Special 

Fulltimer

3 hours ago, Twotoes said:

Go to CVS, Bed Bath & Beyond, Pets Smart, Best Buy etc and if you give them you phone or email to get rewards you will be barrage with texts and emails. I stopped all rewards programs for this reason. 

If they want more than my name and money for the rewards  then it's a no go for me too. I don't share my email or phone number with any businesses any more. 

Rod

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2007 Honda GL 1800

20 hours ago, hemsteadc said:

I've never heard of a phone plan that didn't have unlimited talk and text.

Really?  You must be very young or have a short memory. 

Cellphones began for most people with a pay by the minute plan.  My first cell plan was $.25 per minute.  Text didn't exist then.  I later moved to a plan with free Talk for a limited four State area, then a per minute fee for elsewhere.  Still no Text.  I had several different plans after that, none with unlimited Talk or Text.

My most recent plan before I got my current one, was Nationwide 450 Minutes of Talk and 100 Texts with unlimited Data.  I kept that plan for many years and used it while full timing for my internet access.  I was able to increase my Texts to 1,000 for $10 month.  Verizon kept increasing the price of the plan until I finally dropped it.

My current plan is a 5 gb data one from Verizon.  It is the first plan I ever had with unlimited Talk or Text.  Recently, Verizon offered me a bonus 1 TB of data for $5 month extra.  I took them up on that.  I still don't use but a couple of gb per month, but it's nice to have that extra for hotspotting while camping if I need it.

3 hours ago, durangodon said:

Really?  You must be very young or have a short memory. 

Allow me to rephrase.  I've never heard of a *current* cell plan that does not have unlimited talk and text.  I doubt the OP has a plan from 20 years ago.

Edited by hemsteadc

22 minutes ago, hemsteadc said:

Allow me to rephrase.  I've never heard of a *current* cell plan that does not have unlimited talk and text.  I doubt the OP has a plan from 20 years ago.

Tracfone has plans with 500 minutes, 500 texts, and 500 Mb of data per month.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

10 minutes ago, Dutch_12078 said:

Tracfone has plans with 500 minutes, 500 texts, and 500 Mb of data per month.

On a flip phone? :)     I guess we won't know what the OP's plan is unless he returns.  500 texts would be virtually 'unlimited' for me.

Edited by hemsteadc

Just now, hemsteadc said:

On a flip phone? :)     I guess we won't know what the OP's plan is unless he returns. 

On any phone they offer or accept, including 5G phones. They also have unlimited voice and text plans though.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

4 hours ago, hemsteadc said:

On a flip phone? :)     I guess we won't know what the OP's plan is unless he returns.  500 texts would be virtually 'unlimited' for me.

I'm not sure if I've had the plan for 20 years yet, but it's been a long time. I should have stayed with the $9.99 unlimited data when I got it for my first trip to Florida for a winter job. I was only there for 3 months and had very good internet at home so I cancelled it. Next time I think it was $20 and I've kept the same plan for many years. When I up grade my phone I just buy one from ebay and so far have had very good luck. Now that I'm full time, I don't even consider changing the plan and my limit of 250 text messages per month. Not too long ago I got information that I no longer had a limit on the minutes used for talk. I never went over it anyway. I think it was 1000 per month and maybe for a while had rollover. For a long time it was just under $100 per month. It's a bit over that now, but I've had internet everywhere even when the phone didn't work all that well. I was near Golden Colorado for a 3 month job and had to carry a pager when I was on call because the phone wouldn't ring many times. I could usually call out, but the connection would drop out fairly frequently. Verizon sent a tech out and he could not help. Said I was in a "Dead Zone". They would be happy to let me out of my contract though. That was 10+years ago 

Rod

Here's a copy of my potential new business card. 

x9N11nkl.png

2007 Honda GL 1800

• 4 weeks later...

biggest problem is company's sell your info, and scammers text, phone, email you, and make it sound like a company you do deal with is sending it.

i just received a text saying if i do not download something my phone service will be cut off. No listing of any company.

just a 898 number.

and this was a hr after i received a text about a poll about a coming election.

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/18/2022 at 9:28 AM, hiljoball said:

My current AT&T plan is the pay as you go 25c per minute for calls and 20c per text.

Consumers Cellular also offers it. So that type of plan still exists.

John

CC dropped offering that plan, but existing users are allowed to keep it if they wish. I used to have it, but upgraded to unlimited talk/text + 1gb data for $20/month.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

6 hours ago, sandsys said:

My health insurance company is now sending me texts messages recommending I do things I have already done. Irritating but at least I don't pay per message.

Linda

I wish I knew when providing a "PHONE" number to persons they automatedly  assume you can or will accept text messages.  At least I have seen questions regarding the acceptance of Text or SMS messages recently. 

Rod

2007 Honda GL 1800

2 hours ago, lappir said:

I wish I knew when providing a "PHONE" number to persons they automatedly  assume you can or will accept text messages.

None of the financial organizations or other places that I do business with send text messages to me unless previously authorized to do so. I have noticed that there are a few cases that I had to opt out of "special notices" but my insurance, credit cards, and bank all have very specific types of messages that I must first authorize to receive them. What I find to be annoying is that we now receive unsolicited texts from spam and phishing outfits more and more frequently. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

2 hours ago, Kirk W said:

What I find to be annoying is that we now receive unsolicited texts from spam and phishing outfits more and more frequently. 

Yep, it's beginning to make it very annoying to own a phone.  During election season, I get dozens of them, very irritating and at all hours.

I think it is very rude and inconsiderate.  I don't know what makes people think they have a right to intrude on others in such a way.  To me, spammers are one of the lowest life forms.

If they want to espouse their political ideology, let them set up a table on a street corner with a sign inviting political discussion.  I don't even have an issue if they want to stand on a soap box on a corner and preach their beliefs, at least I can avoid them if I wish to. 

If they want to sell me something, let them set up a business phone line and advertise their wares.  That way I can ignore them if I choose.

2 hours ago, durangodon said:

I get dozens of them, very irritating and at all hours.

I put my phone on Do Not Disturb every night so they don't wake me with their messages. Plus, I turned off notifications so I don't always know I've received a message even during the day. My theory is: I get to control my time.

Linda

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

I guess I'm fortunate.  Voice spam isn't a significant problem for me.  I realize the original topic was text spam, but this seems like it may be relevant for some.

Android has supported a function named Call Screen for a couple of years.  I have it on my Google Pixel 4a phone.

When I get a call, that is not in my contacts list, the app takes control of the incoming call and provides the caller with a message something like: "The person you have called is using a call-screening service.  Please leave a voice message about the reason for your call."

Most callers (robo-callers) immediately hang up.  Some dumb robots continue with their recorded message and then automatically hang up.  The call is added to my phone calls log and I'm not interupted.

When a potentially legitimate caller, from someone that is not in my contacts list, leaves a voice message, I'm notified. I can then decide whether to return the call, mark them as a spammer or just ignore the call.

https://support.google.com/phoneapp/answer/9118387?hl=en

Edited by DanZemke
clarity

Volvo 770, New Horizons Majestic and an upcoming Smart car

9 minutes ago, DanZemke said:

I guess I'm fortunate.  Voice spam isn't a significant problem for me.  I realize the original topic was text spam, but this seems like it may be relevant for some.

Not many get through with the system that we use either but, that really doesn't do a thing for the growing problem of texts. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

" that really doesn't do a thing for the growing problem of texts."

Texts to my phone aren't a significant, or growing, problem for me.  The vast majority of the text spam I receive appears to be automated robo-dialing.  I have two phone numbers, one in Connecticut, and one in South Dakota.  Both are linked to the same phone.  I get about the same number of texts from both phone numbers.

None of them appear to be associated with purchases I've made.

Volvo 770, New Horizons Majestic and an upcoming Smart car