Do it now or wait for later?

Luis

48 minutes ago, Star Dreamer said:

Yep, the small black tank would be hard to simulate!

You could always use the neighbor's to simulate being dry camped and using the campground facilities.....   😄

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

6 hours ago, Star Dreamer said:

Yep, the small black tank would be hard to simulate!

I suppose we could have bought a bucket toilet but we weren't buying anything at that stage.

Linda

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

• 4 weeks later...

Welcome to the club!

Boy, do you bring back some memories! Back in 2010 we realized that retirement was coming up , so we started talking about it. Long story short, we discovered that both of us had always wanted to be full-time rv'ers, even though neither of us had really ever done much rving. We spent a couple of years doing research, with the idea that if anything said "NO" that would be it. At first, every answer seemed to generate five or six more questions, but eventually we got enough answers that, in 2013, we purchased our Foretravel. I retired that same year, two years earlier than originally planned, and we hit the road in the fall of 2014.

I'd suggest that you spend some time discussing exactly what your full-time journey will be like. If you can find jobs that pay you by the project, or let you work at your own pace as long as you get in 80 hours in two weeks, or something similar, you should be good on that score. Internet connection will be your biggest issue. I suggest that you look at getting service with one of the big three as your primary and another as your secondary. That way you will most likely have service.

What kind of RV? Spend time visiting every dealership and RV show you can. Look at everything there, from the rattiest little trailer way in the back to the multi-million dollar motor home out front. You are looking for two things: floor plan and quality. If you don't know construction quality, go to one of your local cabinet makers and look at how the drawers and hinges are done. Then go to Wal-Mart and look at the drawers and hinges. You'll soon be able to tell quality. Most full-timers choose either a motor home or a fifth wheel. Advantages and disadvantages each way.

Health insurance may or may not be an issue. If you have to get your own you will have to search for something that allows you to go anywhere. If your employer provides it, it may or may not be good anywhere. Ask.

David Lininger, kb0zke
1993 Foretravel U300 40' (sold)
2022 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS

On 1/20/2022 at 8:46 AM, Luis said:

We recently have started to consider the minimalistic life. Sell everything we owe, get some good remote jobs and just become full time RV’ers. 

You have had some valuable input and close to a month to think about this.  If you are still interested I have some additional considerations.

First, every "good" job I have ever had required considerable effort, dedication, commitment, time.  Any "remote" job is likely to mean that you need to be in contact with bosses, fellow workers, clients or all three.  That will greatly limit where you can go and stay.  

I wonder about your vision of living full time in an RV.  What is it you are looking for?  Cheap living.  You can typically live with lower cost and more comfort when not traveling in an RV.  Are you planning on parking the RV and staying in the same place for long periods of time?  If so, then there can be some sort of "community".  Otherwise, not so much.  Actually in my travels the "community" was virtually non-existent.  I traveled through the National Parks and other areas of great scenic beauty.  I did not sit in the same area and when I did I was not sitting in the campgrounds but was out hiking, taking pictures, exploring.  None of that would have worked well when trying to handle a "good" job especially because I had no consistent internet or cellphone coverage.  I would guess a third of the time I lived as a full timer, I had neither.

Anyway, RV living means different things to different people.  Consider carefully what you are looking for.  Consider other options that might work better to meet your long term goals.  You could save money now and later on afford to take off for months or a year or two without needing to work.  You could hunker down, live that minimalistic life while working and retire at a young age.