Gander charged us but failed to winterized our motor home.

Maren H

We live in MN where you must winterize your RV. Our new (purchased June 2021 from Gander/Camping World) spent most of the first six months at Gander for repair. We got the same song and dance about why it takes so long for repair that many others have already shared on this forum and others. We were assured that they had winterized our motor home and we paid for that service.

We left MN on Jan. 4 for Florida. We stayed in hotels on the way south until we reached our first campsite in Destin. My husband hooked up the water and I was in the back of our home making the bed. I came into the living area to see a flood of water running across our floor. I called an emergency RV tech who came to us on a Sunday night, driving 75 min. from Alabama. Heck of a great guy. Our water filter and hot water heater had ruptured because our home hadn’t been winterized. There wasn’t a drop of antifreeze in it. We were able to get the water filter issue repaired but had to move on to our next camping reservation b4 he could get a new water heater shipped.

We were able to find another emergency tech who came to our next campsite in Apalachicola. Another great guy! He was able to get the water heater sent overnight and replaced it. Gander does not want us using these services. They wanted us to find a Camping World and take it there. Problem with that is you have to take it there once for an assessment, and then return later for the repair. I was told that it would take two weeks for parts to be shipped. There’s no chance in heck that we’re driving 90 -100 miles for an assessment and then returning at a later date. Especially since we’re moving campsites weekly as we work our way down FL to Key West. None of this would not have happened if the motor home had been winterized. I think Gander should be bending over backwards to help us but it took three days just to get a return call.

Gander has accepted full responsibility (verbally over the phone with the service manager) but have been insistent we use their service, their techs. “Emergency tech repair is more expensive.”

I’m out of pocket $1,400 so far. I’ve asked when I could expect reimbursement and I am still waiting for a response. 
And this isn’t our first issue with Gander. The first six months that our home was at Gander for warranty work was a nightmare. It didn’t get any better until we met with the general manager of the store and I had a fit. Communication at least improved after that.

If we had done our due diligence, we would never have bought our motor home from Gander/Camping World.

And, don’t get me going on the very expensive, extended warranty we purchased. $8,000 later and they tell me we only have tow coverage. We purchased through Gander instead of directly from Good Sam or other provider. We are going to cancel that. Wish us luck. I’m not optimistic.

10 minutes ago, Maren H said:

If we had done our due diligence, we would never have bought our motor home from Gander/Camping World.

So sorry to hear of your problems. Camping World, which Gander is now part of has a terrible reputation on this and most RV forums. Like so many others, I used them several times and eventually had problems caused by their service that I paid someone else to fix.  Please do drop in from time to time to share your adventures with us and join in on the forums. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

So sorry that you had to learn about Camping World/Gander the hard way.  There are plenty of people that have related to others the misdeeds by these clowns.

We had a pretty simple awning repair done by the CW in Katy, TX and it was a disaster.  The canopy was replaced with the wrong material, and the wrong color.  When I went to pick up the RV, they had lost the paperwork, then the keys and finally they could not find our 38 ft 5th wheel.  I had the manager out on the lot looking for our RV after he had found the paperwork and keys.

I complained to the manager as well as headquarters to deaf ears.  Never again will CW touch any of my RVs.

Ken

Amateur radio operator, 2023 Cougar 22MLS, 2022 F150 Lariat 4x4 Off Road, Sport trim <br />Travel with 1 miniature schnauzer, 1 standard schnauzer and one African Gray parrot

8 hours ago, TXiceman said:

So sorry that you had to learn about Camping World/Gander the hard way.  There are plenty of people that have related to others the misdeeds by these clowns.

We had a pretty simple awning repair done by the CW in Katy, TX and it was a disaster.  The canopy was replaced with the wrong material, and the wrong color.  When I went to pick up the RV, they had lost the paperwork, then the keys and finally they could not find our 38 ft 5th wheel.  I had the manager out on the lot looking for our RV after he had found the paperwork and keys.

I complained to the manager as well as headquarters to deaf ears.  Never again will CW touch any of my RVs.

Ken

Here's one option for you: Take the receipt from Gander and the receipts from the repair shops to an attorney and ask him to write a letter for you requesting reimbursement including the attorneys fee. That has been known to wake up reluctant providers who would prefer not to be sued for damages.

Linda

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

Yep, I would do want Linda suggested and then ask the lawyer if it is worth it to take them to court to try to get it back.

2005 Freightliner Century S/T, Singled, Air ride ET Jr. hitch
2019 46'+ Dune Sport Man Cave custom 5th wheel toy hauler
Owner of the 1978 Custom Van "Star Dreamer" which might be seen at a local car show near you!

Check out http://www.hhrvresource.com/

for much more info on HDT's.

They charged you for winterizing but did not perform the service. That is theft by false pretense, which resulted in damages to your RV. Definitely consult a lawyer.

2015 Itasca Ellipse 42QD

2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Hard Rock Edition

2021 Harley Street Glide Special 

Fulltimer

Back in 1998, I paid for a dealer to winterize the morothome and they failed to drain the refrigerator ice maker resulting in a broken water valve. I called them since we were 120 miles away and the sent me the new valve at no cost and without proof and I installed it myself.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI