Baton Rouge to Yellowstone

mark1958

I love traveling in spring and fall.   

Spring in many ways is safer since the weather will tend to get better, rather than worse like in the fall.  When I worked for BLM we had a travel trailer stuck at 6000 feet in the Rockies.  It did NOT winter well.  The roof was actually over a foot lower by the following spring and it was a total loss.

One thing about spring travel in the mountains is soft shoulders on the road.  That is the one thing I keep a close eye on when pulling off pavement or gravel roads in spring.   

With a large, heavy RV you can be buried up to your axels just a couple of feet from the road.  

Yellowstone is truly a world treasure.  No place on earth like it. 

The one similar area in Kamchatka got buried in a avalanche and the thermal features were ruined.

Vladimr Steblina

Retired Forester...exploring the public lands.

usbackroads.blogspot.com

49 minutes ago, agesilaus said:

If you mean the route thru Cody to the east gate then it has a steady climb up. You can do it just take your time. That goes past Fishing Bridge. Very scenic drive. That's assuming the snow is cleared. Stock up in Cody when you go thru.

Actually I meant from Rawlins to Moran but I am looking at going on to rock springs and take 191 to headwaters RV park. after we leave there we will be going thru Yellowstone east to Cody then buffalo then Custer. thanks for the help and info.

4 minutes ago, mark1958 said:

we will be going thru Yellowstone east to Cody then buffalo then Custer.

Be sure to plan on at least 2 or 3 days in Cody to see the Buffalo Bill Center and at least some of the other Cody attractions. Leaving Cody you will have several options for your route but I suggest taking US14 to US20 to US16 east via Ten Sleep and across the southern Bighorn Mtns to the town of Buffalo. That is a very scenic route and not difficult with the mountain driving experience that you will have by that point. I would then take I90 from Buffalo to Moorcroft as there isn't much to see along that stretch and then shift back to US16 into Custer, SD, 

You have not said, but I am assuming that you will be spending a long time on this trip as there is much to see and do all along the route and the Custer area is another that should have a lot of time spent. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

1 minute ago, Kirk W said:

Be sure to plan on at least 2 or 3 days in Cody to see the Buffalo Bill Center and at least some of the other Cody attractions. Leaving Cody you will have several options for your route but I suggest taking US14 to US20 to US16 east via Ten Sleep and across the southern Bighorn Mtns to the town of Buffalo. That is a very scenic route and not difficult with the mountain driving experience that you will have by that point. I would then take I90 from Buffalo to Moorcroft as there isn't much to see along that stretch and then shift back to US16 into Custer, SD, 

You have not said, but I am assuming that you will be spending a long time on this trip as there is much to see and do all along the route and the Custer area is another that should have a lot of time spent. 

8 Nights headwater, 4 in Cody, 2 in buffalo, 5 in Custer. also 2 or 3 in aurora Colorada so if someone has a must do there, please let me know

I may be prejudiced but I think that you are moving far too fast. Are we still talking about early May? If so the first 8 days may be enough as most NP programs will not yet be open for the season but there will be plenty of wildlife around to observe and all of the natural feathers, so long as the park doesn't get a lot of late snow, which could have some areas still unaccusable. While many of the summer visitor programs will not be available, the number of visitors is also low so it won't be crowded and traffic will not be bad. In May there will probably still be at least some elk on the National Elk Refuge to your south.

Custer will be your most challenging stop on that itinerary as there is as much to see in that area as in Yellowstone and it is as spread out. Mount Rushmore is of course a must see but it likely won't require all day. Having visited at several different times, I suggest a late afternoon stop and stay for the closing ceremony in the evening. Custer State Park is so large and has much to see so I suggest that you look through this planning guide and select the things that attract you. When you go into the park be sure to enter via the Needle's Eye Tunnel as it is a must see. Iron Mountain Road is also a must see but with your truck only as is the Needle's Eye. That road has 2 tunnels that each frame Mt. Rushmore if you pass through from south to north, so plan your route that way. A good plan might be to enter Custer SP via the Needle's Eye and then travel through the park to Wolf Camp and the take US16a to Keystone which follows Iron Mountain Road. At some point you need to visit Hill City and while there plan to have dinner at the Alpine Inn as it is world known and deserves that. If you enjoy wine there are several excellent and unique wineries in that area. Both Jewell Cave and Wind Cave are nearby and we visited both but with limited time I think that I'd lean to Wind. Many people also recommend a visit to Crazy Horse Monument, but for us after visiting it we would not rate it very high. Near Hot Springs is the Mammoth Site & Museum that we found to be well worth our time.

There is so much to see and do in that area and an almost endless list of tourist attractions, so hopefully others will add some of their favorites. 

12 minutes ago, Kirk W said:

Custer will be your most challenging stop on that itinerary as there is as much to see in that area as in Yellowstone

You must visiting a different YNP, we've spent months there, 3 weeks last year and still haven't seen every thing in the park. The park is larger than several eastern states.

14 minutes ago, Kirk W said:

I may be prejudiced but I think that you are moving far too fast. Are we still talking about early May? If so the first 8 days may be enough as most NP programs will not yet be open for the season but there will be plenty of wildlife around to observe and all of the natural feathers, so long as the park doesn't get a lot of late snow, which could have some areas still unaccusable. While many of the summer visitor programs will not be available, the number of visitors is also low so it won't be crowded and traffic will not be bad. In May there will probably still be at least some elk on the National Elk Refuge to your south.

Custer will be your most challenging stop on that itinerary as there is as much to see in that area as in Yellowstone and it is as spread out. Mount Rushmore is of course a must see but it likely won't require all day. Having visited at several different times, I suggest a late afternoon stop and stay for the closing ceremony in the evening. Custer State Park is so large and has much to see so I suggest that you look through this planning guide and select the things that attract you. When you go into the park be sure to enter via the Needle's Eye Tunnel as it is a must see. Iron Mountain Road is also a must see but with your truck only as is the Needle's Eye. That road has 2 tunnels that each frame Mt. Rushmore if you pass through from south to north, so plan your route that way. A good plan might be to enter Custer SP via the Needle's Eye and then travel through the park to Wolf Camp and the take US16a to Keystone which follows Iron Mountain Road. At some point you need to visit Hill City and while there plan to have dinner at the Alpine Inn as it is world known and deserves that. If you enjoy wine there are several excellent and unique wineries in that area. Both Jewell Cave and Wind Cave are nearby and we visited both but with limited time I think that I'd lean to Wind. Many people also recommend a visit to Crazy Horse Monument, but for us after visiting it we would not rate it very high. Near Hot Springs is the Mammoth Site & Museum that we found to be well worth our time.

There is so much to see and do in that area and an almost endless list of tourist attractions, so hopefully others will add some of their favorites. 

we are suppose to arrive at headwater on 5/16. do you think this is to early from your experience? i know we cannot predict the weather.

1 hour ago, mark1958 said:

we are suppose to arrive at headwater on 5/16. do you think this is to early from your experience? i

It is early, but should be OK as current snowpack is 15% below normal so unless there is more late snow than usual thing should be open and accessible. With March being the second highest snow month, it is still pretty early to predict. I suggest that you visit this link and look at the typical weather chart. Also if you check the YNP site the expected dates to open park roads would anticipate that one section of road (Beartooth Highway a favorite of mine) is not expected to be open until May 27, after you leave. Those dates are based on current snowpack and long range weather projections but could change dramatically in either direction.  Based on having spent a lot of time in the park over 30+ years, I would expect that you will see most days warming into the mid 60s and nightly temperatures to fall to near freezing. It just depends upon what you want to see and how much aversion to crowds and traffic you have. Yellowstone is a very different place depending on the season that you visit. In my view, May is early for a first time visit and June would be a much better choice, but visiting in May is much better than no visit. That same thing could probably be said for your entire trip as you will have a risk of snowy weather at any point from about Denver on. SD would be lower risk but still possible. Would it mean your visit would be ruined if it snows while you are there? Or if you had to drive in snow? That risk is far less in June. Updated information on road conditions in Yellowstone is available 24-hours a day by calling 307-344-2117.

As to the 8 days, that is more than most first time visitors. I read somewhere that the average visitor spends 4 days and 8 will give you enough time to see all of the major attractions without rushing. It will not give you time to do much hiking or waiting around to see wildlife or geyser eruptions, but you will have some. Our first visit was only 2 days, which inspired us to go back later with our family and spend 5 days and then a year or two later we spent a week there with our family. For some people a week is enough but for others it is just a beginning. While on the road fulltime we spent 3 months near the park and made repeated visits to a total of 26 days.

Edited by Kirk W

Beartooth Hwy can easily be done from Cody.  That highway can have snow anytime in the summer so don't plan around specific dates.  Likewise, we've been in Yellowstone and Grand Tetons mid-May with good weather..... warm days; bring an extra blanket for nights..... lots of baby animals, less crowds.

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

59 minutes ago, Kirk W said:

It is early, but should be OK as current snowpack is 15% below normal so unless there is more late snow than usual thing should be open and accessible. With March being the second highest snow month, it is still pretty early to predict. I suggest that you visit this link and look at the typical weather chart. Also if you check the YNP site the expected dates to open park roads would anticipate that one section of road (Beartooth Highway a favorite of mine) is not expected to be open until May 27, after you leave. Those dates are based on current snowpack and long range weather projections but could change dramatically in either direction.  Based on having spent a lot of time in the park over 30+ years, I would expect that you will see most days warming into the mid 60s and nightly temperatures to fall to near freezing. It just depends upon what you want to see and how much aversion to crowds and traffic you have. Yellowstone is a very different place depending on the season that you visit. In my view, May is early for a first time visit and June would be a much better choice, but visiting in May is much better than no visit. That same thing could probably be said for your entire trip as you will have a risk of snowy weather at any point from about Denver on. SD would be lower risk but still possible. Would it mean your visit would be ruined if it snows while you are there? Or if you had to drive in snow? That risk is far less in June. Updated information on road conditions in Yellowstone is available 24-hours a day by calling 307-344-2117.

As to the 8 days, that is more than most first time visitors. I read somewhere that the average visitor spends 4 days and 8 will give you enough time to see all of the major attractions without rushing. It will not give you time to do much hiking or waiting around to see wildlife or geyser eruptions, but you will have some. Our first visit was only 2 days, which inspired us to go back later with our family and spend 5 days and then a year or two later we spent a week there with our family. For some people a week is enough but for others it is just a beginning. While on the road fulltime we spent 3 months near the park and made repeated visits to a total of 26 days.

great info

31 minutes ago, 2gypsies said:

Beartooth Hwy can easily be done from Cody.  That highway can have snow anytime in the summer so don't plan around specific dates.  Likewise, we've been in Yellowstone and Grand Tetons mid-May with good weather..... warm days; bring an extra blanket for nights..... lots of baby animals, less crowds.

thanks

Hi mark I just saw your reply. We pulled a 43 ft with hdt. We saw a lot of 3/4-1 ton trucks pulling up and over the 9500 peak. Great stops at the top no reason to rush it and didn’t seem real steep just long uphills. We drove it in our smart car too. Drove to Jackson one day in the smart. You wouldn’t have any problems unless there’s snow. Anyone can see museum but free for military.