Winnebago News Release

Kirk W

2 hours ago, Kirk W said:

To date, that hasn't meant the engine is electric. It has meant there is no propane system so all appliances are electric or run off the fuel tank. My last van was considered to be all electric but my furnace ran off the van's diesel fuel tank.

Linda

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

2 minutes ago, sandsys said:

To date, that hasn't meant the engine is electric. It has meant there is no propane system so all appliances are electric or run off the fuel tank. My last van was considered to be all electric but my furnace ran off the van's diesel fuel tank.

Those kind of "all electric RVs" are common enough these days that you wouldn't think they would warrant such a press release.  I'll wager this is an electric propulsion RV.

Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/brake system
WiFiRanger Ambassador
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

35 minutes ago, sandsys said:

To date, that hasn't meant the engine is electric.

Do you mind sharing with me where I said otherwise?  All that I did was to post a link to the story, so anyone can draw their own conclusions. Time will tell who, if anyone is correct in what they will be showing. 

31 minutes ago, docj said:

I'll wager this is an electric propulsion RV.

10 minutes ago, trailertraveler said:

I am thinking that it will be based on one of the currently available electric vans or an upcoming model

I would tend to think so for several reasons. First is the statement that it is an all-electric concept motorhome, not something that will be for sale, yet. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

4 hours ago, Kirk W said:

Do you mind sharing with me where I said otherwise?  All that I did was to post a link to the story, so anyone can draw their own conclusions. Time will tell who, if anyone is correct in what they will be showing. 

You didn't say otherwise and I did not imply you did. Just as I didn't say it was not an electric engine. I was simply sharing my experience with the term for those who might not have any familiarity with it at all. In my experience, there are now a goodly number of Class B's out there with no propane system but I haven't seen a Class A advertised as such yet. So, to me, that might be what they are introducing. We're all just guessing anyway.

Linda

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

Winnebago did unveil their e-RV at the Tampa Show yesterday during Industry Day which wasn’t open to the public.  But they did stream the announcement and the unveiling which I watched.  It is a concept and no details on when it will be available for purchase.  We are heading to Tampa today and will be at the show tomorrow and Friday so I’ll get a better look at it but this link should tell you what you want to know.

Electric Concept Motorhome (winnebagoind.com)

Couldn't help but notice this particular bullet point:

• Evolving battery technology and applications continue to drive capabilities and mileage range increases are anticipated as the concept vehicle further develops. Currently, an industry standard, 86-kWh battery configuration provides a range of 125 miles while powering on-board systems. This range will meet the needs of a majority (54%) of new RV buyers who prefer to make trips under 200 miles (1).  

Mark & Teri

2021 Grand Designs Imagine 2500RL, 2019 Ford F-350

Mark & Teri's Travels

47 minutes ago, mptjelgin said:

Couldn't help but notice this particular bullet point:

Also this one...    I added the link.

• A chassis based on a readily available Ford Transit platform that has been modified with an advanced electrical power system from Lightning e Motors that powers the drivetrain, vehicle controls and living quarters. 
2 hours ago, Ropeshaft said:

I’ll get a better look at it but this link should tell you what you want to know.

We will be looking forward to your next report.

We went by and took a look at this RV and it is an interesting concept but still not practical for all. The current limited range would be an issue for us as well as charging times and available charging facilities as we often camp of the grid. Another major issue is what to do if caught in cold weather by a bad wreck or the situation that happened to hundreds recently on I-95 in Virginia. Stuck for 24 hours with only limited battery power and no way to recharge. With an ICE engine, I can fill the tank before getting into a mess like that and be able to go several days and still have sufficient heat to survive.

I know that the feds are pushing in this direction and I am looking forward to seeing what will happen with EV's in the future

2017 Kenworth T680
2015 DRV 38RSSA Elite Suites
2016 Smart Prime

6 hours ago, GeorgiaHybrid said:

I know that the feds are pushing in this direction and I am looking forward to seeing what will happen with EV's in the future

As I read the information, this is only a concept RV and is not available to the public? And did you also see the one shown by Thor?

Kirk, the Winnebago is a demo only and not for sale but is a good representation of what it will be. The production units will have a larger battery for increased range.

I didn't look at the Thor model as I got a little sidetracked looking at a very small (17 foot) european designed baby motorhome. I have to give to the Italians, their vehicles always have style.

2017 Kenworth T680
2015 DRV 38RSSA Elite Suites
2016 Smart Prime