need help with TX DMV Form 130-U (moving a vehicle to TX: title and registration)

GreyDawg

I will be moving my domicile back to Texas in the next couple of months, and am struggling with Form 130-U (application for Title / Registration).

I have two "Passenger cars", both owned free/clear (ie, no liens)

• #1, purchased new in 2017, titled/registered in FL and sales tax paid to FL.   Now at 105K miles
  • #2, purchased used in Oct 2020, titled/registered in FL and sales tax paid to FL.  Now at 60K miles

[The vehicles are spending the spring in New Mexico, so I will fill in the VTR-270 form for each.]

I've tried calling the Polk County Tax Office, but those poor folks are so overworked and stressed (and hold times long) that I thought I might try here first:

QUESTIONS: 

Box 20   -- "previous owner."    Relevant?  This isn't a car purchase, it is a move from out of state.  Do I fill in my name or leave it blank?

Box 29 --  "location"   As noted above, the cars will be parked in NM when registered, but their "permanent home" will be at my Polk County Escapees mail address.  What do I put here

Sales Tax or Use tax:   I assume that since these are vehicles I have owned for a while (ie, not new purchases) I pay the $90 Use Fee on each vehicle, rather than submitting the 2017 or 2020 Bills of Sale and FL Tax Receipts, right?

Proof of address:  they don't seem to ask for proof.  The Rainbow Drive address will, of course, be on my "Proof of TX Insurance."  Do I need to submit any other proof (eg, bank statement with Rainbow Drive address)?

Where to mail the plates:    Does the Tax Office have to mail the plates to my permanent (Rainbow Drive) address, or will they mail them to where-ever I happen to be (ie New Mexico). Do I just ask for that in a cover letter?

Thank you for helping take some of the "stress" answering basic questions off the folks at the Tax Office!

Edited by GreyDawg

I am a little surprised that nobody has responded after 7 hours and 23 viewing it. My only suggestion would be to call Polk Co. as it has been far too long since I did anything of that sort for it to be of any help. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

9 hours ago, GreyDawg said:

Box 20   -- "previous owner."    Relevant?  This isn't a car purchase, it is a move from out of state.  Do I fill in my name or leave it blank?

Leave blank

Box 29 --  "location"   As noted above, the cars will be parked in NM when registered, but their "permanent home" will be at my Polk County Escapees mail address.  What do I put here

Your Escapees address

Sales Tax or Use tax:   I assume that since these are vehicles I have owned for a while (ie, not new purchases) I pay the $90 Use Fee on each vehicle, rather than submitting the 2017 or 2020 Bills of Sale and FL Tax Receipts, right?

Use Fee 

Proof of address:  they don't seem to ask for proof.  The Rainbow Drive address will, of course, be on my "Proof of TX Insurance."  Do I need to submit any other proof (eg, bank statement with Rainbow Drive address)?

Escapees address is your address where you are registering the vehicles.  

Where to mail the plates:    Does the Tax Office have to mail the plates to my permanent (Rainbow Drive) address, or will they mail them to where-ever I happen to be (ie New Mexico). Do I just ask for that in a cover letter?

Just have them sent to your Escapee Address.   Yes, you will pay a little more to get them forwarded on to you, but I have found that it is just easier that way.   

We did this 3 years ago when we purchased a new car in Arizona.   Don't over think this.   

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834