Kirk W

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

For those interested I started a new topic in the ....."Other Topics forum" 

Cost comparison Off-Grid Solar versus Grid Home.....it is the actual cost data for my in town grid house and my off-grid vacation home 10 miles away (as the crow flies) and 25 miles by road.

Edited by Vladimir

Vladimr Steblina

Retired Forester...exploring the public lands.

usbackroads.blogspot.com

4 hours ago, docj said:

Very few of today's drivers would be willing to put up with my 1954 Ford that had to have oil changes and its chassis lubed every couple of thousand miles and whose only creature comforts were an AM radio, a heater and crank-down windows.

And turn signals required sticking your arm out that cranked down window no matter what the weather was doing.

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

1 minute ago, sandsys said:

And turn signals required sticking your arm out that cranked down window no matter what the weather was doing.

My 1954 Ford had turn signals because my father paid $12 extra for them!  😀

Edited by docj

Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/brake system
WiFiRanger Ambassador
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

13 minutes ago, Barbaraok said:

A vacation house 25 miles away?  That would seem to be a 'why bother' type of thing?

Desert vs mountain? 25 miles can easily feel like a whole other world. And being off grid means truly being away from work. Makes perfect sense to me. Our cabin in the north woods was further away than that but it was a whole different lifestyle than what we had in the city and the change was rejuvenating even though we only went for one weekend a month.

Linda 

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

2 hours ago, Barbaraok said:

A vacation house 25 miles away?  That would seem to be a 'why bother' type of thing?

1 hour ago, sandsys said:

Desert vs mountain? 25 miles can easily feel like a whole other world. And being off grid means truly being away from work. Makes perfect sense to me. Our cabin in the north woods was further away than that but it was a whole different lifestyle than what we had in the city and the change was rejuvenating even though we only went for one weekend a month.

Linda 

2 hours ago, Barbaraok said:

Linda, gets it. 

Here is the view from back door at the vacation house.  Everything you see in the photo is public land.  

I almost bought a vacation house two hours away.  That would have been a mistake.  All that time driving!!! 

We do rent as a vacation rental business and having it 25 minutes away really helps with that.  I do use it for astronomy since the sky is much darker there than my city house.

The only real disadvantage, is that you tend to "day use" it.  Go up for a BBQ dinner and then come down.  For 25 minutes I take my dog up there for walks.  It did come in handy during the early stages of pandemic.  Lots of great places to walk without running into people and I moved up there for almost two months.    

I have a view from my city house, it is of sage and grass and the Columbia River.  Lately, the view of the eastern Washington desert also includes more and more homes.  

There are advantages to being a forester.  You know all the good spots before anybody else is even aware that they exist.  It was a very inexpensive piece of property.

camas_elk_in_front_cabin2.jpg

deck_view_jan_11_2008_blog.jpg

Edited by Vladimir

Vladimr Steblina

usbackroads.blogspot.com

Vlad - ah yes, 25 miles away by road means driving UP at lot of the time.   I can see that - - guess I'm use to being in metro areas where 25 miles doesn't get you to the other side of town.   Of course being on the dry side, the metro areas are smaller to begin with - plus if you are renting it out, then being a short drive to do necessary work between rentals makes sense.  

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

We currently have a Ram 2500 with the CTD.  It pulls well, has a decent range and is reliable.  It takes 10 minutes to fill up and is in and out.  We have 40K on it and it will go many more miles.  When EV's arrive and duplicate or improve upon the Ram I will consider moving to one.  The one caveat is they had better hurry as at my age the window is getting closer to closing.

Phil, Carol, Ariel, Grey Lady, SKP# 93039

2009 Carriage Cameo

2016 Ram 2500, CTD, 4X4

With mirth and laughter let old wrinkles come.

http://motojavaphil.blogspot.com/

On 1/15/2022 at 6:53 PM, Vladimir said:

I did try to get a TESLA PowerWall, but again, nope can't just buy the PowerWall you need to BUY EVERYTHING again. 

Start talking and getting REAL BIDS.  As I say it will be a learning experience.

Love your location and vacation rental.

You threw out negatives like a system capable of charging a Tesla would cost $150,000.00!! I will be cashing in some stocks to buy the Rivian R1T EV truck and the Solar system and need to have them in the same year so the solar and EV truck incentives/tax credits, just like Ford EV truck buyers get, offset my capital gains taxes.

Vlad, I am ordering everything as I am not interested in going through what you did. You did not order the whole system from Tesla because whole systems were not available nor the newer Powerwall 2 with significant improvements in power and temp control designs years ago. My son got their panels on his house from Solar city years ago when they just came under Tesla. His house, since sold to move to Europe for a few years, was an hour north of me in a suburb of Denver. They were great from start to finish.

Here in Colorado we have a lot of solar and a lot more going up because of the Colorado renewable friendly approach. We even got more EV charging stations I don't need in addition to the Tesla Superchargers and destination chargers. When EV Motorhomes and HDTs come out 3/5/10 years from now the non Tesla ones will be set here because of how much RV tourism we see here.

I did goof and put the wrong Tesla Energy solar panels and Powerwall estimate in and just fixed that. I posted the wrong quote not my configured one with more panels an Powerwalls, but did have the power specs for the Powerwall correct. I have corrected that post.

That is a real bid from Tesla and includes everything including installation. I only have to add on/pay sales taxes.

From the same CEO/owner at his other company you bought your Starlink system from and had to wait for because of demand and launches for coverage. But it came in as advertised and works great right?

From the same company/CEO I bought my Tesla Model Y from. It came in early since I ordered it in April 2000 and got it in June 2000.  It was  new model, the Model Y and the pandemic was in full swing. Your claims that because they only sell matched systems now instead of being liable for cobbled together system like yours and being responsible for them makes total sense to me.

What about a Tesla bid is not real specifically?

The bottom line, the solar Powerwall system I want costs less than a third of your $150k WAG. That's all. Yes, like all EVs today the batteries are the delay along with COVID issues in workforce and supply. That will ease up for all soon enough I hope. But see, I can charge on the grid just fine until then. And can with my RV TV EV truck.

I will just have to wait a bit for it to come in just like you and all of Musk's SpaceX customers had to wait for their Starlink systems due to demand. You can't have it both ways and have amazing Musk tech solving your lack of any broadband,  reasonably priced, with good service, and say the same CEO's other company's bid for a solar and Powerwall system is not real. Get real bud. And yes we are and have been in the market for a Solar Powerwall that can run the house and the cars two of them, with grid backup only if needed. If there is a problem with an extended need for power then we will just charge one car.

Edited by RV_

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

2 hours ago, motojavaphil said:

We currently have a Ram 2500 with the CTD.  It pulls well, has a decent range and is reliable.  It takes 10 minutes to fill up and is in and out.  We have 40K on it and it will go many more miles.  When EV's arrive and duplicate or improve upon the Ram I will consider moving to one.  The one caveat is they had better hurry as at my age the window is getting closer to closing.

I hear ya Phil. Our need for a truck went away when we moved here and sold our last RV for weekend RVng in 2019. But I had the Ram Diesel trucks too. MY TV for seven years of full timing was 1992 Ram 3500 diesel dually with the long bed, Pac Brake, 64 gallon transfer Flow diesel tank in the bed, custom paint etc. which I Rhino lined. I sold it with about 700k miles on it and it is still running in Louisiana despite the guy who bought it having a number of fender and bumper benders with it. Ours were Cummins 5.9 two noisy ones and two quieter ones. Enjoy! I am only getting the Rivian to be done with the oil industry prices by selling our last gas vehicle, my wife's Forester, and she gets the Model Y.

SA8pC6ql.jpg

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

1 hour ago, RV_ said:

What about a Tesla bid is not real specifically?

The bottom line, the solar Powerwall system I want costs less than a third of your $150k WAG. That's all. Yes, like all EVs today the batteries are the delay along with COVID issues in workforce and supply. That will ease up for all soon enough I hope. But see, I can charge on the grid just fine until then. And can with my RV TV EV truck.

I will just have to wait a bit for it to come in just like you and all of Musk's SpaceX customers had to wait for their Starlink systems due to demand. You can't have it both ways and have amazing Musk tech solving your lack of any broadband,  reasonably priced, with good service, and say the same CEO's other company's bid for a solar and Powerwall system is not real. Get real bud. And yes we are and have been in the market for a Solar Powerwall that can run the house and the cars two of them, with grid backup only if needed. If there is a problem with an extended need for power then we will just charge one car.

The Tesla PowerWall was advertised as 7500 dollars.  Plus installation..  I found out I could NOT buy it for the advertised price.

Your paying 50,000 for the PowerWall.  I would NOT pay that, but I am NOT surprised that the $50,000 price your paying matches EXACTLY the price my neighbors paid for their solar systems from independent electricians.

It is a long, long way from 7500 to 50,000.

StarLink works for me at this point.  That doesn't mean that PowerWall works for me.  Nor does that mean I am a fan of TESLA.

Those are THREE independent products owned by ONE man.  

I won't buy a Tesla, and I have been trying to buy a 7500 dollar PowerWall for four years now.  No luck.

However, I am impressed with StarLink.  One out of three is pretty good in my book.  That will get you into the Baseball Hall of Fame.

Vladimr Steblina

usbackroads.blogspot.com

16 hours ago, motojavaphil said:

We currently have a Ram 2500 with the CTD.  ----------

The one caveat is they had better hurry as at my age the window is getting closer to closing.

I have a 2003 Dodge/Cummins with 136k that I'm sure will do fine for our little travel trailer for as long as we continue to use it. Being 6 years older(9/18/42) than you I do understand about windows getting smaller so we aren't likely to ever own an electric or hybrid tow vehicle. 😏

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Vlad you wrote:

“My RICH neighbors all put in 5 Kwh array's for their homes.  That cost them 50,000 dollars for the complete setup.  So to charge a EV car.....my estimate is in the neighborhood of 150,000 dollars.  The panels are cheap, but the mounting hardware and wiring is very expensive.”

https://www.rvnetwork.com/topic/143589-are-electric-rvs-coming/?do=findComment&comment=1069275

I answered that a full Tesla system cost ~47k for ~19.2kW of panels AND three Powerwall 2. And that Tesla solar quote reflects that it sure does not cost $150k! Do you retract that estimate? Of course not. Please stop blaming me for what you write that is just wrong about Tesla. I don’t care what anyone else buys.

But I’ll be your huckleberry.

This next system is double your neighbor’s kWh and still cheaper. But not $150k what kWh do think is needed? Remember it only needs to recharge ~ 30 miles every couple of days now. Probably twice that when the Pandemic eases. I submit you are a bit out of touch with current pricing. I got this quote today 1/17/2022 for my location.

Panels

System size
8.5 kW

Annual production
12,500 kWh

Local system prices (after federal tax credit) $12,077 - $18,115 (based on current offers from 6 local solar companies)

Source: https://www.solar-estimate.org/residential-solar/solar-estimator?zip_code=80915

So your rich neighbors did overpay even if that was after incentives and in the ballpark I see around. Same range as Tesla

Here is a source you can buy batteries from and they will fill orders in April. I am looking into Generac but have to contact some experts on charging Teslas from batteries to see what I need. Since we will be grid connected some grid charging is fine. My experts will lbe Tesla owners with solar battery systems.  We have a local EV club I belong to but have not attended meetings but I can call the president and get a call from one who does.

For top of the line panels here installed on a quick estimate, meaning I can likely do better with more research.

You don’t have to like the CEO to know that when he says he is going to produce or invent something to do something he executes 100% of the time. Being late beats doing nothing and his products do not appeal to everyone. I did not spring for full self driving upgrade because autopilot does all I need, and I don’t plan on sleeping in any vehicle I am supposed to be monitoring hurtling down a hard surface surrounded by steel moving objects with other unpredictable road ragers at 75 mph at this time. I( hope it happens before I have to hang up my keys so I can still get around assuming my mind is no worse than ever.🤣

https://www.electricgeneratorsdirect.com/Generac-PWRcell-PWRCELL-DLX-MWH-KIT/p113451.html?utm_source=pocket_mylist

You also said you could not get Tesla batteries anyway so here is my first non Powerwall battery backup system research I called Generac directly and got the specs and that the above configuration is as much as they can go kWh wise. Two boxes 12 modules but they said April will fillorders. Will post here what I finds in another thread I start about solar with battery storage systems I think are a good buy now and then buy one.

Generac PWRcell™ 36kWh Deluxe Managed Whole Home Package - 7.6kW (120/240V Single-Phase) Inverter, (2) Outdoor Cabinet w/ (12) 3.0 kWH Batteries + 200A SE

https://www.electricgeneratorsdirect.com/Generac-PWRcell-PWRCELL-DLX-MWH-KIT/p113451.html?utm_source=pocket_mylist

I also told you Tesla changed policy and will not sell the Powerwalls separate from the their solar panels or solar rooftop.

As well, like all things battery and new technology, because the EVs are coming out from everyone in addition to Tesla’s need of a lot more batterie, Tesla prioritized the vehicles first which are delayed like all full production EVs from all manufacturers until next year at least.

So from the beginning I knew you were right that you could not order Powerwalls separately since at least when the Pandemic began.

And back on topic please show me a better/cheaper/as reliable and road tested EV truck or EV SUV/sedan RV TV you can buy or order today (Lots of used Teslas) that you can order now for near the same price, with the same options/features as the Tesla or Rivian you can order buy today.

You can buy a used or new EV RV TV sedan or SUV now, and order a new RV TV EV truck or Sedan SUV now for delivery sometime next year.

And we can charge them free of fuel/electric bills charges after purchase of a solar battery system, laugh at storms.

See, as my wife recently commented, we can’t take it with us and our kids don’t need it so we are going solar with battery backup, as I have been watching/waiting to do for more than a few years now. I believe the pricing and technology is where we want it to be now.

Edited by RV_

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998