PHL to PHX travel recommendations for January

Kimpossible12

We just came across I-70 East -West this past weekend and we can vouch it was COLD the whole way from Colorado, now down around Trinidad off of I-25 we did hit highs in the upper 60's but not for long. I agree head as far south as possible. We came from Taos New Mexico to Delaware, also winds were heavy thru Kansas

2017 River Stone Legacy 38MB

2001 T2000 Kenworth

2009 Smart Passion

ET Junior hitch

I81 to I40 is likely your most direct route, but I would strongly encourage you to head straight to I10, as recommended. Perhaps through Atlanta to Mobile, AL and then west. Several years ago I ignored my own advice and ran headlong into a winter ice storm in Dallas. You just never know when something really nasty in the way of winter weather will pop up and that can happen as far south as I10. Going that far south will help to minimize the risk. Jay

Welcome to the Escapees Forum!! I agree that heading South is the best bet.  I would go at least as far South as I-20 and then South to I-10. We have travelled South to Florida from PA/NJ every year since 2007.   I-81 or I-95 are your interstate choices heading South. I-81 heads more Southwest, but goes through the mountains of Virginia and Tennessee. Wednesday, Thursday and Friday look like they will be a little warmer with no precipitation so I would try to get as far South as possible on those days. Checkout your potential overnight stops in advance as not all campgrounds are open all year along the Northern part of these routes. Most years we head South on I-95 and few campgrounds are open North of the Virginia Beach area in the winter. I would avoid Atlanta. I-81 to I-75 to I-59 will get you to I-20 West of Atlanta. Watch the weather and be prepared to alter your travel plans or wait out bad weather.

Again, Welcome to the Escapees Forum!!!

Edited by trailertraveler

After  the 1st of November, the only sure way is south to I-10 then head west.  And even then, the section of I-10 leading into El Paso has been known to ice over so keep watching the weather as you come across.    It is going to be right around 70 for the high for the next week in Phoenix.  We're running a little warm this winter.

Edited by Barbaraok

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

January 13, 2013, made the trip from Michigan to Congress, Arizona.   Never driven a motorhome before.   Went South as fast as we could, going thru Indianapolis, Sikeston, Texarkana, then state highways thru south Texas to El Paso, then on to Phoenix and beyond.   My advice would be to get to the I-30-20-10 part of the country as early as possible.   Good luck!   

2007 Dolphin

• Safe-T-Plus Steering Bar

Our Blog: Click Here

12 hours ago, bobsallyh said:

mash your motor south on I-81 and get to I-10 as quickly as possible.

From the Philadelphia area you can get to I-81 either by going West to Carlisle on the PA Turnpike or take I-95 to I-695 West to I-70 to US-340 to I-81 at Winchester, VA. There are tolls on both routes. I believe the I-95 toll in Maryland is only collected in the Northbound direction. I-81 ends at I-40 in Tennessee which is why I mentioned I-75 and I-59 for getting further South.

Edited by trailertraveler

1 hour ago, trailertraveler said:

From the Philadelphia area you can get to I-81 either by going West to Carlisle on the PA Turnpike or take I-95 to I-695 West to I-70 to US-340 to I-81 at Winchester, VA. There are tolls on both routes. I believe the I-95 toll in Maryland is only collected in the Northbound direction. I-81 ends at I-40 in Tennessee which is why I mentioned I-75 and I-59 for getting further South.

Tolls on 95 south, one in Delaware, then the Scott Key Bridge on the east side of 695, you can go the west side with no tolls, but the traffic is crazy (just came that way Monday) and a bit longer

2017 River Stone Legacy 38MB

2001 T2000 Kenworth

2009 Smart Passion

ET Junior hitch