Tire Pressure Sensors

Batteries are only active on my TST sensors when they sense pressure.  I install mine in the spring and remove them in the fall and get 2-3 years out of a set of batteries.  I am guessing other brands would be somewhat the same.

U.S. Navy GSMC(SW) (RETIRED) 1993-11-01, 26 years service with 23 years of that active and 3 years reserve.  Now retired after 20 years at local hospital in the maintenance department.

1995 Gulf Stream Scenic Cruiser 34' DP W/6Spd Allison.  Road Master Sterling All terrain, Air Force One, towing new 2019 Jeep Cherokee Elite

1 hour ago, JimK said:

The OEM tire pressure sensors on my Ram truck are rated for 7-10 years and 100,000 miles.  I had one fail at about 5 years and 50,000 miles.

What did it cost to replace the sensor? I pay less than $10 to replace the 10 batteries in my TST sensors each year...

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

On 1/14/2022 at 8:34 AM, Dutch_12078 said:

What did it cost to replace the sensor? I pay less than $10 to replace the 10 batteries in my TST sensors each year...

The sensors need to be replaced when they die.  As I remember the dealer charge was about $70 plus labor which is zero when also replacing tires.  So it seems the cost/year is about the same.

4 hours ago, JimK said:

The sensors need to be replaced when they die.  As I remember the dealer charge was about $70 plus labor which is zero when also replacing tires.  So it seems the cost/year is about the same.

Assuming the sensor dies when you need tires.  Is that likely?

Or are you proposing that you should just change sensors at every tire change, as a preventative measure?  Hmmm.... you might be on to something.

I had sensors on our 5er until one day I had a sudden failure and the the debris of the middle tire took out the other two sensors/valve stem and so I had three ruined tires.  I upgraded tires and now run no senors outside the rims.

Edited by rickeieio

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

6 hours ago, JimK said:

Did you misunderstand the pricing I posted? Put another way, I pay a bit less than $1 per year per sensor for replacement batteries, or less than $10 TOTAL/year for my 10 sensors.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

• 2 weeks later...

With internal sensors, the tire needs to be dismounted, remounted and balanced. Hence the additional cost.

If the TPMS sensor is accessed during a tire change (replacement), I would think the cost would be less but not zero, unless they were replaced under warranty. The TPMS sensors aren't free...

A fellow camper told me that he has TPMS sensors on the valve stems of his truck tires as well as the internal (read factory installed) ones because the external ones show pressure changes a LOT faster than the factory internal ones do.

+++++++++++_____________________________________+++++++++++

2021 Ram 3500  2017 Arctic Fox 25W(to be traded??)
HAM guy (Ke7FIX), photography, woodworking (mostly sawdust),
Electronics Technician,  USAF DAV

Going where everyone has gone before

event.png