Small freezer

rickeieio

We have a toy hauler, and room for a small freezer.  We like to take frozen, home prepared meals, meats and veggies when we travel, but the little chill chest in the rv fridge isn't big enough.  

So, we're thinking a small freezer would be nice, but what kind?  Will a household freezer be insulated enough to be okay while not powered for a day, maybe two?  Are there small, well insulated freezers available?

Thank in advance for your input.....

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

We've been running a 3.5 cuft upright freezer for several years.  Had on in the Carrilite 5'er, and now have one in the DRV.  I run them off a small dedicated inverter so on travel days, it still has power while the rest of the trailer is dead. The DRV has the residential fridge but the extra freezer space means we have packages of bison, crawfish, lamb, etc foods that we can't find in different areas. 

When we were looking for a freezer, we intentionally went cheap with an old fashion non-electronic compressor.  This allows a cheap modified sine wave inverter to power it.

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

So, I looked locally and found a 5.8 c/f upright for 1/4 the cost of an RV type freezer.  I think I can install solar and controller for less than the difference.

One question:  How do I tell if the compressor is electronic?  None of the specs I saw mentioned that.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

56 minutes ago, rickeieio said:

One question:  How do I tell if the compressor is electronic?  None of the specs I saw mentioned that.

Several of the freezers we looked at were like the new(er) fridges that are a dc compressor- either 24v or 48 volt.  They run off their own inverter that is picky about its input power supply.

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

Our freezer is one from Best Buy and like many the energy guide shows just how much power they use.  The power requirements are small and usually easily powered with a PSW inverter.  An inverter and if you want some solar should do it.  Should be a lot cheaper than an RV freezer.  Years ago we had a propane powered freezer.  It worked well but it was expensive and very small.

Randy

2001 Volvo VNL 42 Cummins ISX Autoshift