Very Late 2021, early 2022 Quartszite unofficial HDT rally.

mr. cob

Howdy All,

At last count we have ten rigs in our little unofficial Q rally,  sign in please if you are here.

Dave, Donna, Newt and Willy

2001 Peterbilt, 379, Known As "Semi-Sane II", towing a 2014 Voltage 3818, 45 foot long toy hauler crammed full of motorcycles of all types.  Visit my photo web site where you will find thousands of photos of my motorcycle wanderings and other aspects of my life, click this link. http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Danfreda1 said:

We are here Dan and Freda. Thanks for the ride Dave. Puts more energy into looking for a side by side. 

I’ll help keep that pressure on when we get there.  😎

2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Thread & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.com      West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.png    

AZCACOIDIAKSMNMOMTNENVNMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYxlg.jpg

15 hours ago, Tahoe Shark said:

Hey Dave, it looks like you got a nice pavement spot.😅😅😅😅

0h my mistake, it was your signature. See you in 3 weeks!

Howdy Tim,

We'll save a spot for you, how many acres do want us to reserve? 😉

Dave

2001 Peterbilt, 379, Known As "Semi-Sane II", towing a 2014 Voltage 3818, 45 foot long toy hauler crammed full of motorcycles of all types.  Visit my photo web site where you will find thousands of photos of my motorcycle wanderings and other aspects of my life, click this link. http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

11 hours ago, Danfreda1 said:

We are here Dan and Freda. Thanks for the ride Dave. We will put more energy into looking for a side by side. 

Howdy Dan,

It was my pleasure.  One of my favorite pass times is influencing how others spend their money. 😀

Dave

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

10 hours ago, Chad Heiser said:

I’ll help keep that pressure on when we get there.  😎

Howdy Chad,

Looking forward to you and Jen showing up and more fun times.

Dave

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

5 minutes ago, mr. cob said:

Howdy Tim,

We'll save a spot for you, how many acres do want us to reserve? 😉

Dave

Well, since we are a bit shorter than you and the mighty Pete I think just an acre will do.👍

Edited by Tahoe Shark

Tim & Cheryl
2015 Mobile Suites 39 TKSB3
2009 Volvo 670 D13 I-Shift  “Walter”

Happily Living Somewhere In Nevada

649EF470-4F2A-4D47-8AB9-AFD3462E24F4.jpeg

1 hour ago, Shawn Patterson said:

Andrea and I are hoping to join you all on or about 1/15... We will let you know if that goes sideways. :)

Howdy Shawn,

Hope things work out so you folks can join us, plenty of room, the weathers pretty darn good and the campfire tall tale telling is just getting started.

Dave

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

2 hours ago, dmk said:

Hoping to be around Q by the 17th, will you still be around and where's the general location at?

Howdy DMK,

Many of us will be here for weeks, some for a month or two.  Easiest to find our group is, Goto the La Posa South, LTVA.  This is located about 4 miles SOUTH of I-10, in Qurartszite, on the EAST side of Hwy 95. 

When you enter the LTAV go about 1.5 miles  on the main ( the ONLY ) real road and you will come to a sewer dump station on the right, garbage dumpsters on the left and the fresh water point which is on the right about 200 yards east from the dump station. 

STOP, look to your right at about a 45 degree angle, you should be able to see many of our rigs.  Continue EAST on the main road about a half mile, look to the right hand side of the road you will see some rocks that are painted GREEN and there may also be a traffic cone, turn and follow the trail across the low spot, turn to the right, follow the trail to our camp area.

These are the GPS coordinates for last years camp which is about 200 yards from this years location, from these coordinates you can easily see our group.

N33° 36.704'          W114° 12.268'

Dave

Edited by mr. cob

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

Howdy All,

Seems like no one who is here has checked into this thread, be that as it may, we now have 12 rigs here.  Plenty of space see all'yaall when you get here.  Steve and Gail, who head up the National HDT Rally, are here, first time they have been west.  Steve, who flies a 747, will be my co-pilot for today's SxS ride should be interesting tales around the campfire this evening.

Dave

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

Dave, count Sheri and Dennis in for Jan 22nd we are stopping into Bouse, Az to see friends at a RV park.  @Chad Heiser have ordered the AZ OHV tags for our ATV's.  Can we ride ATV's to the Big Tent and not ride on any paved roads?  My units are not street legal.

Dennis

• Volvo 670 / 2006
  • 10-Speed 
  • ATV's & Sleds
  • 2017 Host Mammoth Slide-In Camper on Deck
  • Jackalopee
  • Build article published here

3 hours ago, Cotreker said:

Dave, count Sheri and Dennis in for Jan 22nd we are stopping into Bouse, Az to see friends at a RV park.  @Chad Heiser have ordered the AZ OHV tags for our ATV's.  Can we ride ATV's to the Big Tent and not ride on any paved roads?  My units are not street legal.

Dennis

Howdy Dennis,

You can ride to the Big Tent area along side of Hwy 95, there is a trail on either side of the road.  There is also a large dry wash that runs through the WEST LTVA that goes through town and out the north side of town so you shouldn't have a problem getting from camp to the Big Tent and other vendors.

Dave

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

On 12/31/2021 at 4:17 PM, mr. cob said:

Howdy DMK,

Many of us will be here for weeks, some for a month or two.  Easiest to find our group is, Goto the La Posa South, LTVA.  This is located about 4 miles SOUTH of I-10, in Qurartszite, on the EAST side of Hwy 95. 

When you enter the LTAV go about 1.5 miles  on the main ( the ONLY ) real road and you will come to a sewer dump station on the right, garbage dumpsters on the left and the fresh water point which is on the right about 200 yards east from the dump station. 

STOP, look to your right at about a 45 degree angle, you should be able to see many of our rigs.  Continue EAST on the main road about a half mile, look to the right hand side of the road you will see some rocks that are painted GREEN and there may also be a traffic cone, turn and follow the trail across the low spot, turn to the right, follow the trail to our camp area.

These are the GPS coordinates for last years camp which is about 200 yards from this years location, from these coordinates you can easily see our group.

N33° 36.704'          W114° 12.268'

Dave

Thanks for the detailed reply! With all the free options on BLM land I usually don't stay at the LVTA's, when I'm around Q. Otherwise would love to join up you all sometime.

2005 Freightliner Century Class S/T, Detroit 60 Series 14L, Eaton Fuller 10spd Ultrashift, w/3:73

No photo description available.

9 hours ago, dmk said:

Thanks for the detailed reply! With all the free options on BLM land I usually don't stay at the LVTA's, when I'm around Q. Otherwise would love to join up you all sometime.

Howdy DMK,

Yes there is a LOT of FREE BLM camping in and around Q, that said by the time you count the cost of diesel fuel and time going miles to dump and refill with water and get rid of your garbage, 40 bucks for 14 days with all of these things on site is cheap and EASY.  Just my opinion and it's a lot more secure then some of the free spots much less chance of things growing legs and going walkabout.

Dave

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

6 minutes ago, mr. cob said:

Howdy DMK,

Yes there is a LOT of FREE BLM camping in and around Q, that said by the time you count the cost of diesel fuel and time going miles to dump and refill with water and get rid of your garbage, 40 bucks for 14 days with all of these things on site is cheap and EASY.  Just my opinion and it's a lot more secure then some of the free spots much less chance of things growing legs and going walkabout.

Dave

I certainly understand, but that just doesn't fit our style of moving around to different BLM's and going off roading in our Jeep. We usually don't stay in any one location longer than a week to 10 days.  I have been boondocking a lot and have never had any trouble with thieves, but I don't  get in the habit of temping them either by leaving anything out un secured.  Yes, water & dump will cost you extra, but the transfer station North of town lets you throw your garbage for free.  If your wanting to stay in one spot, I would agree hard to beat the LVTA's, it just comes down to personal preference.

2005 Freightliner Century Class S/T, Detroit 60 Series 14L, Eaton Fuller 10spd Ultrashift, w/3:73

20 minutes ago, dmk said:

I certainly understand, but that just doesn't fit our style of moving around to different BLM's and going off roading in our Jeep. We usually don't stay in any one location longer than a week to 10 days.  I have been boondocking a lot and have never had any trouble with thieves, but I don't  get in the habit of temping them either by leaving anything out un secured.  Yes, water & dump will cost you extra, but the transfer station North of town lets you throw your garbage for free.  If your wanting to stay in one spot, I would agree hard to beat the LVTA's, it just comes down to personal preference.

You could go to La Posa South until you need to dump then go to one of the other LTVAs for the rest of your 14 days. Your pass does not restrict you to any one area. You can go to any of the regional LTVA's on that same pass. I used to buy an annual just so I could come and go as my urge to move hit but I could always go dump and fill at no extra charge even if I'd been camping with friends in a free area. The break even point on an annual is 10 weeks which was a deal for me being in the general area November to March. Moving from Q to Midland LTVA, which is  north of Blyth, then down to Imperial Dam, etc. gets you lots of variety.

Linda

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

11 hours ago, sandsys said:

You could go to La Posa South until you need to dump then go to one of the other LTVAs for the rest of your 14 days. Your pass does not restrict you to any one area. You can go to any of the regional LTVA's on that same pass. I used to buy an annual just so I could come and go as my urge to move hit but I could always go dump and fill at no extra charge even if I'd been camping with friends in a free area. The break even point on an annual is 10 weeks which was a deal for me being in the general area November to March. Moving from Q to Midland LTVA, which is  north of Blyth, then down to Imperial Dam, etc. gets you lots of variety.

Linda

Thanks! Yes, I do know this,  we have bought a 2 week LVTA pass the first year we were on the road and went to Imperial Dam & Holtville Hot Springs. We just have already been there and as I say like to go to more remote BLM's with awesome off roading.

I like to stop at Q when I can to have roadmaster go thru my tow bar and maybe a stop at the adult day care...

One of these days I'll catch an HDT rally, I always have conflicts it seems with the National HDT Rally in Hutchisnson.

Dave, not sure you remember me. I saw your old truck "Semi Sane" a few years ago at the rodeo in Mitchell, SD and reached out to you.  Hope you all have a great get together and one of these days I'll get to one of these rally's!

1 hour ago, dmk said:

Dave, not sure you remember me. I saw your old truck "Semi Sane" a few years ago at the rodeo in Mitchell, SD and reached out to you.  Hope you all have a great get together and one of these days I'll get to one of these rally's!

Howdy DMK,

I sold "Semi-Sane" to a couple who live and ranch in South Dakota, they do rodeo's perhaps it was them you talked too.  They are good folks who use the truck to tow a huge horse trailer with deluxe living quarters to and from South Dakota and Arizona each winter.

I too like to do remote boondocking to use the SxS in rough terrain so if you have and are willing to share via PM the GPS coordinates of some big rig accessible boondock camp sites I sure would appreciate it, thanks.

Dave

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg