King Dome

We bought a fiver with a King Dome roof mount. Nothing was left as far as info etc. Only the ends from the dome down thru the roof. Does anybody know if this style of dome will support Direct TV? We use a crank-up Winegard dish on our other fiver with our Direct TV package. Any info would be helpful, thanks!

My memory's getting a little spotty on this, so my apologies. Typically, the domes are service specific, i.e. they're only for Dish or only for DirecTV. Also, domes before a certain point in time, maybe ten years ago, plus???? don't work with newer technology at all. Best thing to do is grab the model number off the unit call King Controls. They'll be able to tell you which unit you have and if it's still useable. Good luck! Jay

I can offer a data point.

We're still using the King Dome dish (under a bubble) that's been on our 2003 motorhome since new.  We've always had DirecTV on it, and the owner's manual says it was set up at the factory for DirecTV but that it can be re-programmed to use Dish.  And I remember other owners of this moho and King Dome dish did indeed have Dish.

However, we're still using a standard definition receiver, and from previous dealings with DirecTV, I'd be surprised if they'd let you activate an old receiver like ours.  But if you've got a standard definition DirecTV receiver in your 5th wheel, there's at least a chance it will work with the King Dome dish, since ours does. 

But now that I think about it, I don't know how you'd know if it had been reprogrammed for Dish.  But if you've got the right components around, like a standard definition receiver on an active DirecTV account, you might be able to have a risk-free try at it.

I do know that my elderly King Dome won't work with HD at all.

Edited by Blues

16 hours ago, Blues said:

But now that I think about it, I don't know how you'd know if it had been reprogrammed for Dish. 

Many, many years ago, we had a KingDome.  There are instructions in the Owner's Manual for setting the switches for either Dish or DirecTV (it involves taking the dome off in order to access the guts of the equipment inside).  Since it sounds like the OP doesn't have the Owner's Manual, he might be able to find it at King's website, Home (kingconnect.com) or give them a call.  As suggested, get the model number off the dish.

LindaH
2014 Winnebago Aspect 27K
2011 Kia Soul

15 hours ago, bobsallyh said:

We did find the manuals 

There should be instructions in the manual for changing from one service to another.  As I stated previously, you'll have to go up on the roof, remove the cover, and change the position of the switches.

LindaH
2011 Kia Soul

7 hours ago, LindaH said:

There should be instructions in the manual for changing from one service to another.  As I stated previously, you'll have to go up on the roof, remove the cover, and change the position of the switches.

Maybe it depends on the year of the satellite dish.  My manual doesn't have any instructions for changing from DirecTV to Dish, and says: "This system has been set up at the factory for DIRECTV Service. If Dish Network will be used, the system must be re-programmed.  This must be done at a certified dealer using a Keypad Console."

My manual doesn't say what model it is, but it does have a serial number on a sticker.  But the equipment data sheet in the RV says it's a c9700. 

On 12/31/2021 at 3:59 PM, Blues said:

Maybe it depends on the year of the satellite dish.  My manual doesn't have any instructions for changing from DirecTV to Dish, and says: "This system has been set up at the factory for DIRECTV Service. If Dish Network will be used, the system must be re-programmed.  This must be done at a certified dealer using a Keypad Console."

My manual doesn't say what model it is, but it does have a serial number on a sticker.  But the equipment data sheet in the RV says it's a c9700. 

Well, that could be if you have a newer model of King Dome.  We had ours many, many years ago when we first started fulltiming in 1998, so it's not surprising that it's been updated and the method for changing from one service to another changed.  

LindaH
2011 Kia Soul

I was up on the roof and opened the dome up. There is nothing in my manual either about the switches which are very visible. There are several satellite guys here in the Yuma area that I may ask. But what I'm thinking about doing, is just taking the Direct receiver out to the trailer, hook it up and see if anything happens. And again, thanks to everyone!

https://kingconnect.com/content/Product Manuals/LEGACY/KD2000 Manual.pdf

Is this the King Dome you have?  This manual provides for the set up on Dish, Direct and Bell.

Ken

Amateur radio operator, 2023 Cougar 22MLS, 2022 F150 Lariat 4x4 Off Road, Sport trim <br />Travel with 1 miniature schnauzer, 1 standard schnauzer and one African Gray parrot

• 2 weeks later...