Sportchassis Tire Air Pressure

vett

I'm reaching out to see what the rest of you guys are running for tire pressure in your drive axel. Currently, I have the crossfire levelers and there set for 85psi. That was recommended from Michelin when I spoke to them. However, since I have replaced my tires last, about 35k miles ago, they seem to be wearing down quicker. So, I'm looking to see what tire pressure you're running at. 

Thanks 

I don't know if you went back with Michelin or not.  I stopped running Michelin LTX on my 1 ton dully since i only got 35,000 miles with the last two sets.  Previously I had managed 50,000 to 60,000 on my 1 ton duallies.  This time I switched to Cooper AT tires and they seem to be wearing better, but time will tell.

A fellow that works in the tire industry told me that Michelin had gone to softer rubber compounds on some tire series.  The Cooper tires also ride better and no increase in noise.

Ken

Amateur radio operator, 2023 Cougar 22MLS, 2022 F150 Lariat 4x4 Off Road, Sport trim <br />Travel with 1 miniature schnauzer, 1 standard schnauzer and one African Gray parrot

I'm a little late to the party, but here's my free input:

You didn't mention what size tires,, load ratings, truck axle weights, loaded weights, or any other factors you need to determine the proper pressure.  Generic pressures would likely lead to rough ride or early tire failure.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

What Mr. Pope (rickeieio) stated is wise counsel and worth way more than the stated valued. 

Edited by TreyandSusan

Susan & Trey Selman | email | HDT: '01 770 VED12 | 5er: '02 40' Travel Supreme RLTSOA | '16 Piaggio MP3 500 | '15 Smart Cabrio | Personal Blog | HHRV Resource Guide | HHRV Campgrounds | Recreation Vehicle Safety & Education Foundation |

I'll join the party even later. Tire wear, without a better explanation than that, is impossible to diagnose over the internet. Shoulder wear, tread wear, cupping? All have different causes, and not all caused by tire pressure. For what it's worth, my vehicles always tell me where they want the tire pressure set. How? Take a piece of kids chalk, a parking lot, and the vehicle in question. Point the vehicle in a direction you can get 1-200 feet without turning the wheel. Chalk all 4 tires, with a good line of chalk, from shoulder to shoulder. Drive ahead the 100 feet. Look at the chalk. Note the wear pattern. Centre of tread gone? Too high pressure. Shoulders gone? Too low. Even across the face? You're in the ballpark.

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

I use a method similar to Darryl's.  Look at your tires and notice if there's a gray band near the edge.  The wider the band, to greater the over-inflation.  No band?  Inflate in 2 psi increments until band appears, then back off that last 2 psi.  Of course, drive a bit between pressure adjustments.

Using this method, I've discovered the sticker in the door jamb of a F-150 isn't even close to correct.  I run my pressures about 12 psi higher than recommended, still within tire makers guide.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

• 2 weeks later...