Eyedrops may replace some glasses

I am wondering if you read the article that you linked, which also states:

There is one catch though: it’s not covered by  insurance, and doctors who spoke to CBS said it likely never will be, simply because glasses are less expensive and the drops aren’t a “medical necessity.”

Mark & Teri

2021 Grand Designs Imagine 2500RL, 2019 Ford F-350

Mark & Teri's Travels

38 minutes ago, agesilaus said:

Sounds like a technology for the excessively  vain anyway.

That's one way to look at it.  However, glasses can be a real problem in some occupations. 

I wore contacts for 30 years, but still needed reading glasses.  With my wrinkled up, scarred up face, I don't give much thought to how I look so much as how I see.  I've worn glasses all my life and hate them.  Most of my work has been outdoors while sweating and getting good and dirty.  Glasses have to be cleaned constantly, interfere with safety wear, etc.  Reading glasses for a carpenter or plumber or electrician, etc. can be a real nuisance.  I doubt vanity is a factor in those situations.

Glasses act as safety glasses which may be irritating to wear but are really needed in some of those occupations you mention.

They are a pain to clean all the time tho.

And that brings up another issue I ran into recently. The last two sets of glasses I bought had Nikon lenses in them. Like you I  have worn glasses since grade school and take good but not obsessive care of them However both sets of those glasses developed scratches bad enough to make them need replacement. The first set I got a new prescription for and whille ordering the new lenses the optician (@ Walmart Optiical) said that I should have brought them in for free replacement. Turns out they have a 1 year warranty at Walmart. And when the second new set got scratched just as badly in 6 months I did bring them back. They hinted around but would not come out and say that the anti-glare coating on the Nikon lenses was the problem. When I was ordering some sunglasses at a different store I asked about the issue, instantly asked if I had the anti-glare coating but also would not plainly say that was the problem.

So no hard evidence but I would not get anti-glare especially not on Nikon lenses. I ordered the sunglasses without that coating.

Yes, these coatings are softer and easier to scratch than plain plastic,

link

The beat around the bush in that article and try to blame the wearers, but the above quote says a lot.