Escapees new Fuel Discount Program VS TSD logistics

Bilisent

Right on the card on the Escapees promo page it says EFS/WEX. That's the same as the TSD fuel card. I have the TSD card, but I can't speak to the difference in discounts between the two. I don't think my TSD card is good for gas.

Rob

Edited by Second Chance

2012 F350 CC LB DRW 6.7
2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
Full-time since 8/2015

StatesVisited20210913_small.jpg

It looks like most people would pay more with the TSD card. I have never gotten one for several reasons, but mostly the lack of a discount on gasoline since we use more gas than diesel as part-time RVers.  It would seem that the discounts are pretty much the same on diesel and with the combination it would seem to save most people even if not on the road.  

For just $4 a month or $40 a year you will enjoy exclusive fuel discounts on gas and diesel fuel for all your vehicles.

There are no additional fees and you keep all of your savings!
Escapees members save an average of $0.29/gallon on diesel and $0.12/gallon on gas. The savings on one average fill-up will often pay for the program each month. After that, you keep 100% of your savings.

In poking about, I found the Fuel Access Network to provide some interesting reading. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

The TSD card does not have a monthly or annual fee, the Escapees card does. The TSD  card charges a transaction fee, the Escapees does not have a transaction fee. The TSD card discount is only for diesel, the Escapees card offers a discount for diesel and gas. The amount of the discount varies depending on the station. It appears that the TSD card is in network at more locations. The Escapees in network appears to have fewer stations. 

2015 Itasca Ellipse 42QD

2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Hard Rock Edition

2021 Harley Street Glide Special 

Fulltimer

Looking at the closest diesel station in network for both, it is the T/A in Wildwood, FL.  The retail price is $3.67 per gallon.  Escapees card price is discounted to $3.45, and the TDS price is $2.97.  Other T/A stations around the area show similar variances in discounts.  For non-T/A locations, the next nearest in network station for the Escapees card is the Speedway in Brooksville, FL.  (This station is a little difficult to maneuver for big rigs).  The retail price for diesel is $3.39, and the Escapees card price is discounted to $2.97.  TDS does not have a discount for this station. 

Mike and Retha Hopkins

2014 Fleetwood Discovery 40G

I do not purchase gas at all so that part is not for me.  I do not purchase diesel every month but would have to pay the fee anyway.  I had a 40 foot and now 42 foot diesel motorhome.  Getting into truck stops is very easy vs car stations with truck pumps.  So not for me.

9 hours ago, chindog said:

Looking at the closest diesel station in network for both, it is the T/A in Wildwood, FL.  The retail price is $3.67 per gallon.  Escapees card price is discounted to $3.45, and the TDS price is $2.97.  Other T/A stations around the area show similar variances in discounts.  For non-T/A locations, the next nearest in network station for the Escapees card is the Speedway in Brooksville, FL.  (This station is a little difficult to maneuver for big rigs).  The retail price for diesel is $3.39, and the Escapees card price is discounted to $2.97.  TDS does not have a discount for this station. 

Thank you. The TA info is exactly what I wanted to know. The TSD program gives much a steeper discount even with a per transaction cost. 

I downloaded the app just to see where their locations were and if it would be worth it for us to pay $4 per month to save $.12/gal. on gas.  But I can't see *any* locations anywhere across the country!  Maybe it's just a problem with the app, but I don't think I'll be signing up.

LindaH
2014 Winnebago Aspect 27K
2011 Kia Soul

15 minutes ago, LindaH said:

Maybe it's just a problem with the app, but I don't think I'll be signing up.

I found this on the Fuel Access website.

Fuel Access Network even provides a mobile app and customized web portal just for your group so members can easily find nearby fuel locations and access Fuel Access Network's  world-class customer service.

Makes me wonder if you have to pay a month first? I don't usually sign up for the newest things until after they have been around for a while so am waiting to see what people think after it happens for a while. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

I was able to download the app and find stations nearby without signing into anything.  Looks like the two locations within 50 mile radius (diesel) are trucker only depots, not standard gas stations.  Also, in the T&C it seems to say that you will only get the price if you pay with your debit card/bank acct via the card.  If you take into acct the standard 5% cash back you generally get for fuel on credit cards like with the Costco card, not sure the savings are significant enough for most folks, especially with the limited locations accessible.

The links in the email announcement now work. 

This program has a few more options. It has discounts for gas. You must use the front pumps/car location for gas.  For diesel discounts you must use the truck lanes. You have choices to link to bank account for ach for full discounts and no transaction fee or to a credit card which will always have a transaction fee from the vendor and  possibly from the credit card company.  There is also a network for gas purchases that you will be charged the cash price instead of credit price but the rv card must be linked to an ach debit accountand not cc for that.

There is a monthly fee of 3.99 per month to be in the program and that's auto debit to the linked account. 

You can pause the program once a year, so if you're parked for a long duration not needing fuel you can pause and not have the monthly fee.

It appears that this program is also a revenue generator for our Escapees club,  sharing in profits of the program somehow,perhaps  from the fee or a % of savings not sure. But I'm not opposed to this helping out our club but full disclosure is something I would like to see shared. 

I think it's great for us to have the options, each can make their own decisions if and how it works for you. 

On 12/8/2021 at 7:23 AM, Kirk W said:

Makes me wonder if you have to pay a month first? I don't usually sign up for the newest things until after they have been around for a while so am waiting to see what people think after it happens for a while. 

I wondered about that, too, because I wasn't able to find ANY gas -- or diesel -- locations throughout the entire U.S.!

Regardless, the only time this would be of any value to us is during the fall when we head south for the winter and again in the spring when we head back north.  During the rest of the year, we're at home and normally only have to fill the car with gas once every month.  A savings of $.12 per gallon would save us around $1.00, but we'd have to spend $4.00 to get that savings!

Edited by LindaH

LindaH
2014 Winnebago Aspect 27K
2011 Kia Soul

• 2 weeks later...

In order to get more stations on the map you need to zoom in on the map. The app will show you the top 25 stations on the area that you have on your screen. I have both the TSD and now the Escapee’s FAN card. Depending on where we are will depend on which program we use. I looked a couple of days ago and in the greater Tucson, AZ area the lowest TSD discounted price for diesel was $3.87, before fees. The lowest discounted price in the Escapee fuel program was $3.03. So, if we fill our diesel pusher with say 75 gallons with the Escapee fuel program we will save $63 for the fill up compared to the DISCOUNTED price of fuel from TSD. I just recouped the yearly cost of the Escapee fuel program and pocketed $23. Any additional savings for the next twelve months is pure savings. I’ve been a loyal TSD card holder for years and will continue to use them. Oh, don’t forget the savings that you get in your everyday gas vehicle with the escapee card (currently 15 cents a gallon at our home base).

• 1 month later...