OT: Omicron and ECR

SuiteSuccess

Out of an abundance of caution, we will not open registration for the East Coast Rally until January 1.  That way I can follow the virulence and breakthrough cases associated with this variant.  My gut feeling is it will probably not be as gloom and doom as the media predicts but experience has shown large gatherings resulted in breakthrough Delta cases despite vaccination.  

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

We are continuing to not attend rallies and such and really miss seeing friends.  So many of our friends have said they will never be vaccinated.  I just hope that they stay safe.

Ken

Amateur radio operator, 2023 Cougar 22MLS, 2022 F150 Lariat 4x4 Off Road, Sport trim <br />Travel with 1 miniature schnauzer, 1 standard schnauzer and one African Gray parrot

I am not seeing what the irrational fear of this new variant is all about.  It's doing what viruses do when they evolve, and turning into a more contagious but less potent version of the disease.  The symptoms are milder, and the hospitalization and death rate so far is zero.  This variant appears to be the waning of the disease.

Mike and Retha Hopkins

2014 Fleetwood Discovery 40G

Howdy All,

Life, if it is "lived" carries with it a risk.  One should be wary and not take unnecessary risk but living behind closed doors and in constant fear is not living.  Just my opinion, worth what you paid for it.

Dave

2001 Peterbilt, 379, Known As "Semi-Sane II", towing a 2014 Voltage 3818, 45 foot long toy hauler crammed full of motorcycles of all types.  Visit my photo web site where you will find thousands of photos of my motorcycle wanderings and other aspects of my life, click this link. http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

Not trying to be rude.  I know folks are expressing their opinions about the virus but my point of the post is different.  Might as well call out the elephant in the room so folks know where I’m coming from.  Through no fault of anyone multiple people became ill after the National Rally.  Some required hospitalization and this was DESPITE sterilization precautions taken.  Numerous of those ill folks were “breakthrough “ cases, my wife and I among them.  If Omicron turns out to be virulent with increased hospitalizations and death DESPITE vaccination status it is my obligation to be aware of that as a rally organizer and decide if it’s worth the risk.  Only time is going to give us that information not what I expect it to do.  My 45 years in medicine taught me caution so I will continue down that path.  

Edited by SuiteSuccess

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

10 hours ago, mr. cob said:

Howdy All,

Life, if it is "lived" carries with it a risk.  One should be wary and not take unnecessary risk but living behind closed doors and in constant fear is not living.  Just my opinion, worth what you paid for it.

Dave

So true. So very true.

On an individual level, each has to make their own decisions. On a group or gathering level, such as any rally etc. however, a different set of rules apply.

I can see and respect the reluctance to organize and take on the responsibility of a rally when things are so politically charged. But there is nothing wrong with people participating in the topic of who's on the road and where, and getting together if they so desire.

I sincerely hope that the Escapees do not fall for the vaccinated vs. un-vaccinated segregation agenda.

I'm a work'n on it.

3 minutes ago, Deezl Smoke said:

So true. So very true.

On an individual level, each has to make their own decisions. On a group or gathering level, such as any rally etc. however, a different set of rules apply.

I can see and respect the reluctance to organize and take on the responsibility of a rally when things are so politically charged. But there is nothing wrong with people participating in the topic of who's on the road and where, and getting together if they so desire.

I sincerely hope that the Escapees do not fall for the vaccinated vs. un-vaccinated segregation agenda.

KOLD News 13 - A hat shop in Tennessee faces criticism for... | Facebook

Thank you Deezl.  Did not intend this thread to ever be political.  Just have had multiple people inquiring about when registration would open and wanted to give an explanation for the delay…simple as that.  Attendance has been and always will be the choice of the individual but as you point out, I’m looking at the group as a whole.

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

I will respect your decision on the ECR (maybe with some disappointment).

I am one of the people who came away from the national rally and fell ill with covid and was hospitalized for 4 days (as was my wife).  We do not hold the organizers responsible or hold any ill will to any other attendees.  I don't know for certain we didn't pick up the illness during the travel portion of our trip.

I am unvaccinated and will continue to be as long as I have free will.  

The time I spent in the hospital and the professionals who cared for me (to the best of their ability) gave me a vast education which only went to solidify my opinion of current state of affairs, vis-a-vis Covid and it's "vaccination".

I will gladly tell my tale to anyone interested, but this is not the time or place for it.  (Read the quote in my signature.)

I'm just posting to support Carl in his decisions for the ECR.

Edited by Av8r3400

Av8r3400
2012 Volvo VNL 730 D13 iShift & 2021 Grand Design Momentum 397TH

TEq81qV.jpg

I'd rather die trying to live - Than live trying not to die.   -Leonard Perry

While I won't be able to attend the ECR, I support Carl's decision to hold off.

I too suffered with illness following the National Rally. First time in a long time.

As a Health Care professional since 1981, I too have opinions regarding the situation, but will only discuss in  private and not in a public forum. 

Rod

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

Jen and I were at the National rally for a couple days. I got covid a week and a half later. So maybe I picked it up there also. Jen didn't get it.

How long after the rally did everyone get sick?

Farmer, Trucker, Equipment operator, Mechanic

Quando omni flunkus moritati-When all else fails, play dead
I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.

The world today is an odd one...

Between my wife and I the companies we work with have various responses to covid:

- Fly everyone into the same location and have a massive party/concert with globally known artists, no masks no vaccination requirements

- Fire everyone who isn't vaccinated and don't open any offices (all work from home)

I find it interesting that we can have large successful companies reacting to the same problem in such different ways.  I'm very glad that employees have the ability to chose which place they would rather be employed with.

My vote on the rally, schedule it and let people make their own decisions.  I can guarantee that whatever scheduling decision is made it isn't going to fit everyone regardless.

2000 volvo 610
2013 cyclone 3950

ontheroad.jpg

Carl, I'm glad it is not  I who has to make these decisions.  I was in a similar position last year, as the organizer of a motorcycle rally.  When I cancelled it, I was criticized, even by the president of the club.  I felt a responsibility to do what's best for the whole, not pacify a few.

I seriously doubt any of your critics have half the credentials you possess.  But, they have an opinion and a keyboard.

In the end, it's YOUR party, and I respect your right to run it as you see fit.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

You have to respect Carl’s position as a medical professional.  If he says come to the ECR and someone loses their life from Covid exposure, it would haunt him forever.

Follow the science not the politics.

Nigel

Edited by Nigel

2006 Volvo VNL 430, 2006 smart cabrio cdi, 2000 Triple E Topaz 30'

Thank you for the support.  Fortunately the data out of South Africa, which I have been following closely, is showing an exponential rise in cases but those cases are NOT causing any increases in hospitalizations or death.  That is good news. The South African scientists are very transparent and I trust their data.  
Plans are still to open registration for ECR January 1.  Attendance will be your own decision.

p.s.  For the science minded folks in the group they are testing everyone admitted to the hospital for any reason and over 78% of positives are admitted for other conditions not Covid.  Also they are assaying virus loads in sewage which gives a broad picture of tens of thousands of people and that is what is showing the exponential rise in cases.  So never think your s**t has no scientific value. 😄

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

5 hours ago, Nigel said:

You have to respect Carl’s position as a medical professional.  If he says come to the ECR and someone loses their life from Covid exposure, it would haunt him forever.

Follow the science not the politics.

This!!!

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

Back to previous programming.  ECR registration will be delayed until Jan 1.  Go to eastcoasthdtrally.com on or after that date if you choose to attend.

Edited by SuiteSuccess

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

1 hour ago, dblr said:

Carl, have you spoke to the campground yet? I know we are still waiting to hear back from them about getting a site and sure some others are as well.

I have.  Angela who does the logistics has been ill (Non Covid) for a week.  I will touch base with her the end of this week and hopefully update.  The way it usually works is the “regular year by year attendees “ get to commit to their site and place a deposit.  She phones each person usually in late December or early January.  After tallying that number she starts phoning and filling in from the wait list.  The number of available sites varies but in previous rallies everyone was accommodated.

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

I also got called today and made my reservation.

2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Thread & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.com      West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.png    

AZCACOIDIAKSMNMOMTNENVNMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYxlg.jpg

Great.  I had a talk with the campground yesterday and they put another person on that task. 

2017 DRV 39DBRS3