Wifi Adapter Has Disappeared!

LindaH

It was working fine earlier this morning, but it stopped while I was online.  It does that occasionally, but I've always been able to get online again by turning the hotspot on my phone off and then turning it back on again.

This time, that didn't work.  When I click on the "No Internet Connection" icon on the right side of the task bar, the list of wifi hotspots near me don't appear like they always do.  Instead, all I see is the Airplane Mode button, but no Wifi button.  It's like the wifi adapter has just disappeared.  I've also gone to Settings > Network & Internet and run the Troubleshooter, but still have the same problem.

I've turned off both the computer (Windows 10) and my phone (android), but that didn't solve the problem so I have no idea where to go from here!

HELP!

Edited by LindaH

LindaH
2014 Winnebago Aspect 27K
2011 Kia Soul

I was having this issue quite often for a while. What I had to do was clear the DNS stack on the computer:

From the search bar, run "cmd" (run as administrator)
Type or copy in this command: netsh winsock reset (and hit "Enter")

It just takes a second or two. You may have to reboot the PC. I'm now running Windows 11 and, after the last update, it has quit doing this.

Rob

2012 F350 CC LB DRW 6.7
2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
Full-time since 8/2015

StatesVisited20210913_small.jpg

Second Chance, thanks for the information.  I'll file it away for the future.  Fortunately, I finally got it working again!

I searched online for "How do I get my wireless adapter back" and came up with several fixes, some of which I'd already tried, and/or didn't work.  However, the one that DID work was going to Network adapters on the Device Manager, right clicking on the network adapter's name, selecting Update driver, and then restarting the computer.  

Big sigh of relief!

LindaH
2014 Winnebago Aspect 27K
2011 Kia Soul

43 minutes ago, LindaH said:

Second Chance, thanks for the information.  I'll file it away for the future.  Fortunately, I finally got it working again!

I searched online for "How do I get my wireless adapter back" and came up with several fixes, some of which I'd already tried, and/or didn't work.  However, the one that DID work was going to Network adapters on the Device Manager, right clicking on the network adapter's name, selecting Update driver, and then restarting the computer.  

Big sigh of relief!

Yep - that's a good/frequent fix, too. Strangely enough, right after I posted that I hadn't had that issue for a while it did it again! I just now got the computer on-line, but it took a complete network reset in the Settings menus.😐

Rob

2012 F350 CC LB DRW 6.7
2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
Full-time since 8/2015

StatesVisited20210913_small.jpg