ToyHauler mods and resale impact

trimster

Looking for thoughts on a bit of a major revamp to a future toyhauler purchase.

Most (used) units we are looking at have a 1/2 bath in the garage area. This seems to become the wall for the TV and maybe fireplace in the living area. We do not want or need a second bathroom. So, thinking about just ripping that out...the entire wall and bathroom...and creating storage and work desk space.

My question is... Do you think this will negatively impact the resale of the TH? I'm wondering if anyone really uses the second bathroom? I guess if you have kids, maybe it's valuable. But we're retired and don't need it. The space is more valuable to us.

Hope this makes sense.

Robert & Lisa
'14 Keystone Fuzion 315 38' 5er

2015 Volvo VNL 670, D13, iShift 'The Tartis' (ours)

2013 Smart Fortwo Passion 'K-9'

2011 CanAm Spyder RT Limited (Ours)

We are both USAF vets.

LbjZhp0l.jpg

Most of the time if you are not happy with something that the builders thought was a great idea, but have never had to "LIVE" with it. 

I'd go for it and hope you are happy with it. 

Rod

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

I buy the RV for my pleasure and not someone else's pleasure later.  Make the changes for what you need and want.

Ken

Amateur radio operator, 2023 Cougar 22MLS, 2022 F150 Lariat 4x4 Off Road, Sport trim <br />Travel with 1 miniature schnauzer, 1 standard schnauzer and one African Gray parrot

Reasonably well done, the mod should not affect the resale value. But as said, the real measure is whether the mod will make you happy. The rest is inconsequential. The only times I've considered RV resale values was for units I bought for refurbishing and resale.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

How long do you expect to keep it?  If only a year or two, skip the mods.  Long term?  Do it and enjoy. 

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

My question is... Do you think this will negatively impact the resale of the TH? 

Well you are removing a feature that had a $ value to it at production, so by removing it you have also removed that value. Does your modification return that value or add a greater one in some other form or area? Does it make more dollars or sense to keep looking for a unit without the 2nd bathroom?

A lot of those 2nd bathrooms also have a 2nd black and gray tanks, will you be removing them as well as plumbing and vent lines too?

Seems like a lot of work for what you may be gaining, but only you can decide if its worth it, and at that point does it really matter what the future resale value may or may not be?

Thanks for the input everyone.

If we end up with a rig that has the second bathroom, we'll probably nuke it. Unless the rig reveals some issues that would make us sell it, it will be something we will keep for a while. The rig we have now is a 2004 that we purchased used in 2006. So we tend to hold onto to things like this and get our moneys worth.

The next challange is finding a rig that is between 36' and 40' with 3 slides, that doesn't have a crappy kitchen layout and built between 2014 and 2018. The search has begun...

Robert & Lisa
'14 Keystone Fuzion 315 38' 5er

2015 Volvo VNL 670, D13, iShift 'The Tartis' (ours)

2013 Smart Fortwo Passion 'K-9'

2011 CanAm Spyder RT Limited (Ours)

We are both USAF vets.

LbjZhp0l.jpg

My last toyhauler had a 1/2 bath.  The one thing I did like about it was it had a second 40 gal black holding tank which gave us 80 gal total black water storage which was great for boondocking.  If I didnt boondook as much as we do, I could have done without it.

"It is better to have more truck than you need than to need more truck than you have"

2001 Volvo 660, Cummins 400 ISX, Eaton 3 Peddle Auto Shift    
2014 Fuzion 40' Toyhauler
2015 Smart Car                                                                                                                                                                          

If it does have an additional tank perhaps you can plumb it to the other. But most toyhaulers are used by weekenders not fulltimers. I doubt it would have an effect on the resale either way.

Or you could keep it as bathroom and office work space:

GN8pe40l.jpg

Edited by RV_

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire