Winter Storage

crazbs

Hi,
I am about to store my class B camper(1999 Dodge Xplorer)for the winter in Wisconsin. This will be my 3rd winter doing this but the previous 2 winters I have been home. I have stored it covered in my driveway plugged into power and have gone out once a month to start it up, run the generator and move it so the tires can rotate a little. This winter I will be gone for 6 months so I will not be able to do that and it will just be sitting there the whole time. Does anyone have any words of wisdom on the best things to do to prepare for that?

I have already removed everything I can from the camper, drained the water and run antifreeze through the lines, filled the gas tank, added SeaFoam, put mouse deterrent packets around inside, placed mothball cakes in the engine compartment and will be parking it on wood panels so the tires(which will be covered)are not on concrete. Should I remove the batteries (house and engine)? Should I leave it plugged into my house power? Anything extra I should do to the generator (Onan gas generator)? Any help will be appreciated as I am really nervous about leaving it unchecked and untouched over the winter.
Thank you,
Carolyn

Welcome to the Escapee forums!

Sounds like you have it pretty well covered. It wouldn't hurt to bring the batteries inside but I would just make sure that they are fully charged and then lift the negative cable from each one. I probably would not leave it connected to power. Prop the refrigerator door open to allow ventilation. While moth balls are not a bad thing, they do degrade over time as off-gassing is how they work so when you return examine the area very closely to be sure that you don't have any nests in the engine or generator spaces. I would also increase the tire pressure to about 10% above the normal pressure since cold will decrease the pressure. 

For under the tires, I suggest some cheap plastic cutting boards as that will prevent any moisture that might be absorbed into wood. Be sure to run both the engine and the generator long enough to get the treated fuel completely through them. 

Edited by Kirk W

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI