Tire stortages

jenandjon

Many of you have probably already felt the pinch of shortages. I am gong to share with you what 2 different dire dealers told me this week. If you even think you might need tires for anything in the next 6 months you better get them ordered now. 

I had 8 new drives for my commercial truck in the shed until we needed them on a different truck. I went back yesterday to get 8 more. 11R-225. They have 4 of this and 4 of that but no sets of 8. They have over 1000 tires ordered but they show up 10 or 12 at time. No idea when they will get anything. 

Same thing at the other dealers. No Michelins or BFG until the first of the year. No promises then either. 

Good luck everyone. 

Farmer, Trucker, Equipment operator, Mechanic

Quando omni flunkus moritati-When all else fails, play dead
I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.

Good heads up. The Class A next to us here in the campground has a 150 class toad. In the bed are two 90% tread steers for the MH. It's their ace-in-the-hole while traveling.

So question.... If the dealer says "ya, we don't have any (Mitchelins, BFG) but do have...."

Which other brands should we either consider and/or stay away from for drive tires?

Robert & Lisa
'14 Keystone Fuzion 315 38' 5er

2015 Volvo VNL 670, D13, iShift 'The Tartis' (ours)

2013 Smart Fortwo Passion 'K-9'

2011 CanAm Spyder RT Limited (Ours)

We are both USAF vets.

LbjZhp0l.jpg

11 minutes ago, trimster said:

Good heads up. The Class A next to us here in the campground has a 150 class toad. In the bed are two 90% tread steers for the MH. It's their ace-in-the-hole while traveling.

So question.... If the dealer says "ya, we don't have any (Mitchelins, BFG) but do have...."

Which other brands should we either consider and/or stay away from for drive tires?

I put another set of Firestones on my steers.  For Drives, knowing you'll never wear them out, I'd do a 2nd tier if that's what the dealer has.  I've run Hercules all position as drives for 100k miles with no issues.  Had them balanced and run centramatic balancers on the axles.

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

9 hours ago, trimster said:

For a HDT where we don't put on a bunch of miles just about anything is good. There are only 2 brands I will never buy again. Duraturn and Double Coin. If that's the only choice I will go with Double Coin. 

I've run Bridgestone, Yokohama and Toyo a lot on commercial trucks with no problems.  As a matter of fact the drives on my HDT right now are Yokohama.

Uniroyal is pretty good. I have one Michelin and one Uniroyal steer tire. I had to change one on the road so I got the cheapest tire I could get my hands on. Figured Id change them both when I got home but it actually drives really good so I left it. The Uniroyal has a deeper tread and likes to throw rocks. When the Michelin ages out I will get a new pair of something. 

The tires I had that my brother "stole" out of the shed were Continental. He really likes them. So that's what I was going to get more of they were only $390 a tire. 

Farmer, Trucker, Equipment operator, Mechanic

Quando omni flunkus moritati-When all else fails, play dead
I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.

I have Toyo steers and last year put Cooper Drives.   No issues with either.  

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"