May have to change my opinion on Atlanta bypass

agesilaus

Well we drove thru Atlanta yester day, Friday Afternoon starting aroun 1 PM. It was horrific. Added 90 minutes to Garmin RV890 ETA. Traffic stop and go from I85/285 intersections to past the 285/airport south of the city.

North bound was much worse with stop, full stop and very slow go from I85 north to the Letchwood exits 25 miles south of Atlanta, maybe 30 miles.

I believe that the state road dept has created traffic problems by taking 2 lanes off the normal I75 route and giving them to a for-pay express lane. The traffic slow ups ceased after that ended south of town. I didn't take that express route since historically traffic flowed freely south of Atlanta. Not yesterday.

We have not been thru Atlanta in 3 or 4 years maybe, just because our routing carried us down I-10 and I have been turning north at Mobile. I will be doing that when ever possible from now on. We did pass thru from the north to south a year or two ago and went tright thru with the inevitable short slowdown for 5 minutes of so. But nother worth diverting for.

RVTW routed us down the I585 bypass, I'be never been down it and did not try it yeasterday since the Garmin ran us right thru on 75. Might have been a mistake but having experience with I285 I did not change the routing.

I'm so glad I don't have to do the Atlanta trip anymore. I took each route multiple times. Each has it's potential for backups, depending on the drivers on the road at the time. Late night was the best time to go through and usually worked well with my timeline. 

Rod

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

It has been a long time since we passed through the Atlanta area but we have noticed the same sort of traffic problems in more than a few major US cities. The Dallas/Ft Worth area has so much traffic increase and resulting highway construction that some areas are traffic problems almost 24/7. We saw that same thing this summer in the norther part of Denver. The traffic on our highways over the past 10 years has risen dramatically in ever area that we have traveled through recently. The share of that traffic that is large trucks seems to also have increased to a huge extent. I am not sure that there are any lager cities that don't have places we need to avoid if possible?? 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

We have to run through Atlanta on occasion and I hate every time I have to do it. They need a bypass around the bypass!  

2005 Freightliner Century S/T, Singled, Air ride ET Jr. hitch
2019 46'+ Dune Sport Man Cave custom 5th wheel toy hauler
Owner of the 1978 Custom Van "Star Dreamer" which might be seen at a local car show near you!

Check out http://www.hhrvresource.com/

for much more info on HDT's.

Someone posted on irv2.com that !475 is, and will be down to one lane for weeks at a main intersection with another interstate.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961