Are electric cars going to save us in time?

noteven

2 hours ago, packnrat said:

and i bet people will love the ability to drive 200 miles then stop for 12 hrs to recharge there dead batteries.

Nissan and NASA team up on 15-minute EV charging

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

18 minutes ago, Chalkie said:

Tesla superchargers already will add 200 miles of range in 15 minutes. What I don't know is if those chargers will work on any EV but a Tesla.

Yes, and as universal charging standards become common place along with the new battery developments, it will only get better. I think packnrat is a little out of touch...

Dutch

6 minutes ago, packnrat said:

the power jacks at work require hrs on the chargers to work right. and then the trickle chargers called solar. i can only go with what i see and know.

Just a few minutes research would show there are a number of other charging options now with more to come. 

Dutch

The Superchargers aren't the limiting factor for other cars - their batteries and charge controllers are. Supercharging stresses battery packs.

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

5 hours ago, RV_ said:

The Superchargers aren't the limiting factor for other cars - their batteries and charge controllers are. Supercharging stresses battery packs.

Battery and charging technology is improving on a fairly rapid basis, so I wouldn't rule anything out.

Dutch

7 hours ago, RV_ said:

They can't be stressing them too much. It has been reported in several articles that Elon Musk tweeted that the batteries should last from 300,000 to 500,000 miles. Granted that is just a tweet but I doubt he would exaggerate too much. 

SignatureNewest.jpg.a1bc8322b0862056fd28e25d5b1458db.jpg

6 hours ago, Chalkie said:

They can't be stressing them too much. It has been reported in several articles that Elon Musk tweeted that the batteries should last from 300,000 to 500,000 miles. Granted that is just a tweet but I doubt he would exaggerate too much. 

Do you really doubt it?  🤑

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

7 hours ago, Chalkie said:

Elon Musk has always struck me as an optimist.  "Should" does not mean "does". There are a lot of things in my life that "should" be different. :)

Linda

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

2 hours ago, Kirk W said:

How much is too much? He is selling things so he is a salesman and you know that is said of them.

Yes, he is selling things but he has also has enough run ins with the SEC that I think he is not going to make any real blatant claims.

51 minutes ago, 2gypsies said:

Do you really doubt it?  🤑

Actually, no I don't. Tesla autos have been out long enough that I suspect they could easily have enough data collected to back up that claim.

SignatureNewest.jpg.a1bc8322b0862056fd28e25d5b1458db.jpg

OK I'll type slower. The subject I answered was about the other brands using Tesla superchargers as to what the limiting factors are. If you check the max charge rates Tesla can charge at higher amps than all but one brand who says they have it like many others, might be true or not. Our batteries will last that long and our motors a million miles. Musk hasn't been wrong yet about his specs.

Tesla owners aren't worried. We drive them daily. What do we know? 🖖

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire