Are electric cars going to save us in time?

noteven

It isn't.   The magnetic poles are important for the magnetic fields that surround the earth and allow life to exist here.   Shifting magnetic north will affect how far south from North Pole  the auroa borealis can be seen.   

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Canada’s Prime Minister spoke at COP26 and told the assembly Canada is warming twice as fast as everywhere else.

3rd paragraph:

https://electricautonomy.ca/2021/11/15/trudeau-canada-clean-net-zero-grid/

So all the media articles mentioned in the linked video in the original post are no longer valid. Canada is now in the lead. 

"Are we there yet?" asked no motorcycle rider, ever. 

On 11/12/2021 at 11:57 AM, Lou Schneider said:

It's hard to get power from "renewables" overnight when a large portion of electric charging occurs.   Usually the wind dies down and of course solar stops producing when the sun goes down.  Hydroelectric power has finite limits, which means overnight charging uses power generated in coal and fossil fuel power plants.

Unless the solar/wind/geo/or even hydro with a water wheel generator is generated in your own property, and stored in Powerwalls or the equivalent.

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

10 hours ago, RV_ said:

Unless the solar/wind/geo/or even hydro with a water wheel generator is generated in your own property, and stored in Powerwalls or the equivalent.

I've had a Tesla Solar panel system and 2 Powerwalls on order for over 1 1/2 years.  Doesn't look like it is going to happen.

Anyway, it would take about six Powerwalls to charge one Tesla car from zero to 100% if they were completely dedicated to that purpose alone.  Of course, those numbers are theoretical, so one could probably get by with just three PW's for daily topping of the car and a couple more for the house.

The way battery technology is advancing, I can see easily storing 100-150 kwh at a person's home in the near future.  Right now, the cost is pretty prohibitive.  Today's Powerwalls are 13 kwh and cost about $8,500 installed and will store $1.50 worth of electricity.

Don,

Yep, storage is inadequate due to expense today. Tomorrow who knows?

But electric storage is the holy grail of energy today beyond the shrinking, albeit loud and well financed group of oil and coal baron supporters/deniers.

I can tell you that I drive a lot less than I thought and I don't charge daily but since we have two vehicles I want my Tesla down to about 20% before I recharge usually evenings/overnight. About once a month as we stay local until the pandemic runs its course. And since I am on O2 for only a few more months it isn't worth buying a portable O2 concentrator. Thus I am trip limited to the three hours my two tanks hold each with no way to fill enroute anyway.

So my experience is atypical gas or electric.

There also seems to be a lot of money increasingly being pumped into fission with the interest in power for here and in space. From what I am seeing it really is happening one way or another, pass/fail, in the next few years.

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

8 hours ago, RV_ said:

And since I am on O2 for only a few more months it isn't worth buying a portable O2 concentrator.

Just FYI Medicare/Tricare for Life will pay for (or lease for you) a portable if you can get you doctor to stand up to the BS rules that Medicare has. I've had one for several years now but it took a persistent doctor at the Academy to make it happen.  

SignatureNewest.jpg.a1bc8322b0862056fd28e25d5b1458db.jpg

Thanks Gary. If I find I need one that is good to know. Right now we are hunkered down at home with the crazy pandemic here. Look up the stats for our city. I am trying to find a place with better percentages to move to but my wife wants to stay here. We are both fine with the altitude and weather.

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

• 2 months later...

lets see burn gasoline/diesel and make smog at the tail pipe.

or

burn coal in a huge power plant poising the ground ground water and air for tens of miles around. then transmit the juice to your home. and limited to less than 200 miles travel on a "full tank", 12+ hr charging delay to return home.

and the electric motors make bad ozone directly.

still going to have tire dust, and brake dust. no way to get away from that.

Edited by packnrat

• 3 months later...
On 11/16/2021 at 12:00 PM, Kirk W said:

It has been decades since I have been a field forester.

But a few years ago, I needed to run some property lines so looked up the current offset between magnetic and true north.

I was shocked at how much I needed to adjust my compasses.  I went through my entire stash and adjusted them all!!!  A guy could get LOST these days by having the improper offset!!!

Vladimr Steblina

Retired Forester...exploring the public lands.

usbackroads.blogspot.com

• 2 weeks later...

On a serious note, peak oil will have a lot to say about our world. A recent poll showed 50% of the people on a survival forum didn't believe in peak oil. In other words, they believed oil was limitless in any amount that we need it to be. 

I don't know when we will peak with oil production. But we are cracking (fracking) rocks to find gas and sifting oil from the tar sands. That says something.

If you get too hot, step into the shower for a couple minutes. Cools you down fast! But I'm more worried about peak oil. We must always have oil production. If no oil production, no tires or asphalt roads for the tries to roll on.

BTW...cold weather cuts EV cars battery range by 41%.

Edited by slackercruster

39 minutes ago, slackercruster said:

BTW...cold weather cuts EV cars battery range by 41%.

That makes sense when you consider how much extra is demanded of a car battery to start engines in cold weather. Your number is higher than that found on Consumer Reports, they say 20% based on a study done by the Norwegian Automobile Federation. Either way unless the EV is plugged in whenever it is stopped the battery will be sapped by the cold. 

I sometimes wonder how these arguments compare to those who knew that the automobile would never be able to replace the horse? While I'm not ready to buy one, there is little doubt that the market share for the EV is growing. I doubt that I'll see them become the majority of automobile sales in my lifetime (being nearly 80), I am sure that I will see them become more common. Will I ever own one? At this time I highly doubt it, but never is a word that I try and avoid.

Edited by Kirk W

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

19 minutes ago, Kirk W said:

I sometimes wonder how these arguments compare to those who knew that the automobile would never be able to replace the horse?

Speaking for myself, I am not against EVs, I just think they are no where near prime time. Not only does their range need to be increased more and above all the infrastructure needs a major overhaul to support all the increased need for electricity.

16 minutes ago, Chalkie said:

Speaking for myself, I am not against EVs, I just think they are no where near prime time. Not only does their range need to be increased more and above all the infrastructure needs a major overhaul to support all the increased need for electricity.

I agree, but EVs are improving everyday and will become primetime.

2005 Winnebago Voyage 38J

43 minutes ago, pjstough said:

I agree, but EVs are improving everyday and will become primetime.

I think hybrids are the way to go right now. There's a woman who lived in her Prius during her divorce. She could use the battery for heat while parked overnight then drive the next day to recharge her battery. Best of both worlds in my mind if you can't have solar power. Now, a solar powered car would truly be great but not yet practical.

Linda

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

how much more coal will we need to burn to make the power to "fuel" up the electric cars?

and i bet people will love the ability to drive 200 miles then stop for 12 hrs to recharge there dead batteries.

was a bad deal to be able to drive 500+ miles the spend 20 min refueling, eat and bathroom break then drive another 500 miles.

i never have understood these fear mongers, we can make pollution at the source (car/truck) or at a huge power plant.

that then stock piles its garbage that needs a very large lake of poison water and piles of poison ash. requires many trains a week to keep it fueled up. and the strip mines to get more coal.

and then the same "people" said back in the 1980's that we are going into a new ice age and will freeze to death.

it its billions of years the earth has been a very hot place (NO ice caps at the poles)  and a very cold place (miles thick ice down to the tropics).

just a large volcano can drop global temps by 3-5 degrees for a couple years. heck even the huge run away fires have cause temps to drop. all this because of "dust" in the upper levels of our small gas bubble.

"and i bet people will love the ability to drive 200 miles then stop for 12 hrs to recharge there dead batteries."

Numbers are off a bit, we just 1600 miles over 3 days including a total of 6 hours charge time in our Mustang Mach-e.

Please click for Emails instead of PM
Mark & Dale
Joey - 2016 Bounder 33C Tige - 2006 40' Travel Supreme
Sparky III - 2021 Mustang Mach-e, off the the Road since 2019
Useful HDT Truck, Trailer, and Full-timing Info at
www.dmbruss.com