Are electric cars going to save us in time?

noteven

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

12 hours ago, noteven said:

The video linked here contains serious information:

Warming is getting serious

In case you don't know the source: "The Onion is an American satirical digital media company and newspaper organization that publishes articles on international, national, and local news."

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

I don't see any claim from Tony Heller he has anything to do with "the Onion" on his website or u tube channel. 

I can see how someone thinking those headlines over and over at the start of the video weren't actual headlines from actual publications but some kind of satire. 

"Are we there yet?" asked no motorcycle rider, ever. 

I didn't find him on The Onion as Linda said, but I did find a fair amount of information about him from several other sources.

Steven Goddard (pseudonym for Tony Heller) is a blogger and the publisher of "Real Climate Science," a website he established to assert that concerns over anthropogenic global warming are exaggerated and false. Before establishing his own blog, Heller built his reputation as a challenger to anthropogenic climate change theories through frequent postings on the Watts Up with That? blog.[1] Goddard wrote pseudonymously until 2014 when he revealed his true real identity on his blog.[2] He has a BS in geology from Arizona State University and a Master's degree in electrical engineering from Rice University.[3]

Tony Heller describes himself as “an independent thinker who is considered a heretic by the orthodoxy on both sides of the climate debate.

1 hour ago, 2gypsies said:

I don't know if he's associated with The Onion but he's not credible.

https://mediabiasfactcheck.com/real-climate-science/

I better toe the line then.

They say “consensus of science” - what does that mean?

Edited by noteven

• 3 weeks later...

Click on this link underneath the utube video: What Is Climate Change? | United Nations

That UN page is believable but, "hottest in 2 million years" how do they know? Time travel?

According to that article, and I agree, our priority should cleaning up all the dumps.

Edited by Ray,IN

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

There are a lot of records and newspaper reports indicating 1921 has been the hottest year in the northern hemisphere “on record”.

I know I know - the generation that studied relativity and advanced methods to harness atomic energy didn’t have accurate thermometers and computer models. 

It's hard to get power from "renewables" overnight when a large portion of electric charging occurs.   Usually the wind dies down and of course solar stops producing when the sun goes down.  Hydroelectric power has finite limits, which means overnight charging uses power generated in coal and fossil fuel power plants.

Edited by Lou Schneider

35 minutes ago, Lou Schneider said:

It's hard to get power from "renewables" overnight when a large portion of electric charging occurs.   Usually the wind dies down and of course solar stops producing when the sun goes down.  Hydroelectric power has finite limits, which means overnight charging uses power generated in coal and fossil fuel power plants.

So none of those renewable power sources feed batteries? They have to be generating electricity at the moment you are using it? Both our RVs and our daughter's house had battery storage of wind and/or solar power to use at night.

Plus, there was that night I was parked under a light at Walmart and saw my battery's increasing power. :)

Linda

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

21 hours ago, noteven said:

There are a lot of records and newspaper reports indicating 1921 has been the hottest year in the northern hemisphere “on record”

Really, 100 years ago?      😉

1 hour ago, sandsys said:

They have to be generating electricity at the moment you are using it?

There have always been doubters of new technologies and major changes to our daily lives. We senior citizens have a much larger share of skeptics than is true for younger age groups and that often shows on these forums. Changes are coming and will continue to change just as they have in the past. When the automobile was introduced, many people knew that was never going to be the common transportation because there were no places to buy fuel for cars!

The first purpose-built, drive-up gas station opened in 1913. At the time, there were approximately 500,000 vehicles navigating almost exclusively dirt or gravel roads. Today, there are more than 250 million vehicles traveling on the nation’s 3.98 million miles of paved roadways, with approximately 40 million vehicles fueling up every day.

21 hours ago, noteven said:

There are a lot of records and newspaper reports indicating 1921 has been the hottest year in the northern hemisphere “on record”.

I know I know - the generation that studied relativity and advanced methods to harness atomic energy didn’t have accurate thermometers and computer models. 

Do you have some links to those reports.   

Here's one about this past summer:

https://www.nbcnews.com/science/environment/northern-hemisphere-summer-was-hottest-record-scientists-say-n1240049

You might want to go look at NOAA's website for some verifiable information.  Just saying ....

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

Kirk, in 1913-1923 years, the Livery Stable in Dotson, Montana that my grandfather jointly owned with a friend slowly become the repair place - - started fixed broken wheels/tires and expanded until hard times hit on the prairies.   That's how things evolved, businesses seeing a need and figuring out how to provide service.  

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

My Concern. Going all Electric is putting all your eggs in one basket. Hybrid vehicles make more sense, especially short haul vehicles.

My concern that the Green people haven't addressed is the flipping of the magnetic poles. You can search and read stories of it happening but how does effect your daily lives. Was it my grade school  earth classes that taught about the True North and Magnetic North were separating.

Your Electric Car won't save you time if you're lost because your GPS won't work.

Clay

Clay & Marcie Too old to play in the snow

Diesel pusher and previously 2 FW and small Class C

20 minutes ago, ms60ocb said:

Your Electric Car won't save you time if you're lost because your GPS won't work.

Why would that effect a GPS that works via satellites?

What do we mean by a magnetic reversal or a magnetic 'flip' of the Earth?

47 minutes ago, ms60ocb said:

My Concern. Going all Electric is putting all your eggs in one basket. Hybrid vehicles make more sense, especially short haul vehicles.

My concern that the Green people haven't addressed is the flipping of the magnetic poles. You can search and read stories of it happening but how does effect your daily lives. Was it my grade school  earth classes that taught about the True North and Magnetic North were separating.

Clay

Try this https://www.faa.gov/about/office_org/headquarters_offices/ato/service_units/techops/navservices/gnss/gps/howitworks/ to see how GPS works and go take an earth science class at a community college because what you think you learned is obviously not what you should have learned.   Poles flipping takes a long period of time and as long as we have sufficient decaying transuranic elements at the core of the planet to keep iron molten and moving everything is ok.    We the core goes cold the planet dies if the sun hasn't gone supernova first.  

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

1 hour ago, bigjim said:

Was true north and magnetic north Ever at the same point?

Since magnetic north varies, there are times where magnetic and true north can be the same... for a time and only in certain places. In 2019 this happened in Greenwich in the UK.

Rob

2012 F350 CC LB DRW 6.7
2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
Full-time since 8/2015

StatesVisited20210913_small.jpg

10 minutes ago, Second Chance said:

Since magnetic north varies, there are times where magnetic and true north can be the same... for a time and only in certain places. In 2019 this happened in Greenwich in the UK.

Rob

More precisely, the true North and South Poles form the axis apon which our planet rotates.  The magnetic north pole isn't at the true North Pole but can be along the path to there from certain points on the planet.