inverter charger not working

bags

On 5/25/2021 at 11:46 AM,  bags said: 

3 battle horn 100ah batteries

victron MPPT 100/50 solar controller

712 battery monitor

I had the above system installed in June to complement my old freedom combi 424 freedom inverter and 4 120 watt solar panels. The system was installed our event got canceled so the rig went back in the barn hooked up to  30 amp power. Just now got the rig out and noticed the charger is not working (inverter is) and at noon in bright sunlight in Oklahoma only getting the below reading from my smart solar ppt charge controller.

solar controler

solar 187 watts volts 15

current 12

battery

volts 13.12

current 14

state bulk

my battery monitor is giving me these readings (on shore power)

voltage 12.99

current 5.26power 68 watts

I contacted Dragon Fly energy (battery manufacture)yesterday to make sure all the settings and battery hookup were right and after an extensive call they determined they were and a guess that the charger had failed.

Batteries will not charge from my Inverter charger/generator or charge line from truck. I tighten all the connections, solar cables, battery connections etc. I cleaned the panels less than a week ago. I am at a complete loss.  I checked all the inverter setting and they are correct, 400 ah and set to aim batteries. Any and all ideas are appreciated. 

Could a charger failure cause all this?

Sincerely

John Bagley

John and Michal Bagley 1999 Volvo 610 the 'Millennium Falcon', 400 hp ISM, Autoshift Gen 2, single axel w/steel bed, Pressure Pro, VMSPC, Trailer Saver Air Hitch, 3 bags, 38 foot Royals International, and our 3 dogs.

If I have a bad fuse why am I getting some voltage and current? I was getting as many as 250 watts from the panels. I am perplexed. I am going on the roof tomorrow to check the connections. Thanks

JB

John and Michal Bagley 1999 Volvo 610 the 'Millennium Falcon', 400 hp ISM, Autoshift Gen 2, single axel w/steel bed, Pressure Pro, VMSPC, Trailer Saver Air Hitch, 3 bags, 38 foot Royals International, and our 3 dogs.

If you are getting 12.99V on shore power, why do you think the inverter charger is not working? I would put a good DC load on the system when on shore power with the solar system off line to see what you get then. You could also turn off the inverter charger and see what you get then.

Edited by Fulltimer51

George

2011 F350 6.7PSD CC 4X4 DRW Lariate
2015 Mobile Suites 41 RSSB4 5th Wheel

The solar panels may be charging your system.  That was a lesson I learned the had way years ago when first was puzzled about the same situation. Disconnect the solar power. Then trace connections with volt meter. Testing where voltage is and is not will. 

Patients will go along way on this situation.

Vern in a T-shirt 

you are getting 12.99V on shore power, why do you think the inverter charger is not working? I would put a good DC load on the system when on shore power with the solar system off line to see what you get then. You could also turn off the inverter charger and see what you get then. I never hear the charger running and the battery goes down with the sun. I do not get a full charge in the daytime only about 13.3 which is low for lithium.

I got on the roof and checked the voltage at the junction box and it is on 15.5 or so but the math VX amps adds up to match the readout of 225 watts. The voltage at the charge controller is the same so I am assuming the 10 year old panels are not functioning properly. No snail tails on the panels or discoloration. I will check the diodes next.

I checked the fuses and have power coming and going. I sure hope new panels are not in my future.

Thanks for all help and if anyone has any more ideas or suggestions or knows a good solar guy in the Waco Tx area please let me know.

Travel safe.

JB