What is the hardest/toughest RV situation you've survived?

LiveWorkDream

WOW. 

The experience and wisdom shared here is just beyond compare. I can't thank you guys enough for responding with these incredible stories and such heartfelt input about what you learned.

This has been one of the most interesting pieces I've put together for the magazine. I wish I could share every story, but I will make sure that links to this conversation are included in the article so that many others can learn from you.

Thanks again. Now I need to get writing!

Rene & Jim
Exploring North America since 2007. SKP #103,274

The scariest thing was when the power brake booster went out on my TV. Which was Ford F250 HD.  Basically a non-dually F350. 7.5L and other good stuff.

The machine totally lost  brakes. Luckily I was not towing at the time, and it was kind of late. I cruised into a parking lot.  I forgot if I engaged my parking brake.

The failure was instant.

Had it happened while towing, would be a different story.

SURVIVED is the key word.......readers should visit the thread/s by "RandyA".

Randy, his wife and dog survived a 5th wheel trailer fire while sleeping - escaping with only seconds to spare!  The "seconds to spare" is not an exaggeration! - Their trailer was totally destroyed.

You can find his thread & posts on the HDT forum, one with a photo is:  "Trailer Fire - Need some help please", dated March 4, 2018.  (Searching - "Fire" on the HDT forum will get you to that thread.  Watch for the above title).

It's not my story - so, it's best to read the thread & details from/by the *survivor* himself !!

1 hour ago, Kirk W said:

I think that many of us who don't own an HDT and never will never read that forum. 

That seems odd.. I don't pay any attention to which forum section I'm in, although the HDT section is what attracted me to this forum. I just scan all the new posts for interesting tidbits. Don't care what section it's in. Jay

This happened a few years ago. Went thru Livingston on 69 enroute to Houston. FL60 Freightliner and 38' HH, around 20-30 miles S of Livingston, running 62-64, left front tire had massive explosion, instantly moved me to N bound lane. Luckily I stayed off truck brakes and applied some trailer brake, then easing a little truck brake moved back into S bound lane. Someone was looking out for me, no N bound traffic at that time. 

Got to shoulder, set out cones, called Road Service and 4 hours later continued on to Houston. Left headlight completely gone, bumper extension had sheared bolt, banged up left rim but service guy managed to straighten it. Could have been worse.

On 11/1/2021 at 5:37 AM, Kirk W said:

I think that many of us who don't own an HDT and never will never read that forum. 

*If* you tow a 5th wheel trailer - you should !! 

Wealth of knowledge by/from those who do! 

Most/many of the HDT forum folks started with smaller towables - and now have HDTs due to the size & weight (including pin weight) of what they tow - not to mention safety. 

Beside the tractor (the HDT) issues & topics - lots of *trailer* & miscellaneous info. Could it be why that forum has 92.K posts?  Can't all be from HDT owners!

BTW the same applies to the MDT forum.

Edited by Pappy Yokum

2 hours ago, Pappy Yokum said:

*If* you tow a 5th wheel trailer - you should !! 

I don't tow a fifth wheel either as we lived in a class A and now have downsized to a small travel trailer. As much as I might like to, we won't be going larger due to age & health. The HDT even has their own moderator. I suspect that I'm not the only one on these forums who rarely if ever reads the HDT for much the same reasons. Do you read all of the forums? 

Edited by Kirk W

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

17 minutes ago, Kirk W said:

Do you read all of the forums? 

Yes, most of the time. We sort by "Unread", and read at least the first few lines in each post. Even "Vetrans" as it might contain some new info that might help out my American Vet friends. Knowledge is never wasted, unless it's unshared.

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

1 hour ago, Darryl&Rita said:

Yes, most of the time. We sort by "Unread", and read at least the first few lines in each post. Even "Vetrans" as it might contain some new info that might help out my American Vet friends. Knowledge is never wasted, unless it's unshared.

I, also, sort by "Unread" and read the first few lines of each new post/reply, even HDT.  It's not always about HDTs... other good information at times.

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

Worst we had was in an RV park in Port Arthur TX. Came a flash flood of water after days of heavy rain. Levy had pumps to keep water in check. No where for water to go so pumps shut down. Water quickly rose. No time to pack up and leave. Smart car got flooded and ruined it. Belly got water in it and I managed to dry that out. 

Edited by GlennWest

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

Twenty years ago, we purchased a 30ft travel trailer and soon took it on a trip from Minnesota to Washington DC.  My YukonXL didn’t miss many gas stations on the way.  Not the best trip planning, but we drove *through* Chicago after passing a couple gas stations.  Traffic backed up and we were stop and go for nearly an hour and the “empty tank ‘idiot’ light” had been flashing for a while when my nerves finally told me I had to pull off the stopped freeway to find gas.  Unfortunately this was by a downtown exit.  I pulled off and found a gas station on a pie corner, had to stop traffic to maneuver in and out.  I got the tank filled up, lost lots of sweat, and learned that you can get in and out of anything if you just take your time.  That experience built a LOT of towing confidence.  It also taught me to start thinking about gassing up when the indicator gets to about half :)

Edited by MNRon
Typo

Ron and Pat, and 2 Portuguese Water Dogs

2013 Silverado 3500 SRW Duramax w/SuperGlide

2005 NuWa HitchHiker DA 31.5 LK w/MorRyde IS