bms negative connection

My BMS has ring ends on them. So I put a ring end on my negative lead and thru bolt, washers and nut. These are 1/4" bolts. Can this be a failure point? Should I cut off ring ends and crimp end together with a connector? There is not a lot of slack in my bms leads. I have some stand alone buss bar stands but leads not long enough to mount them anywhere.

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

I have done what you describe and it seemed to work.   I would think it is important to make sure the ring connectors are together with nothing between these.  Steel or even stainless steel are not the best conductors..  Any connection is a potential problem or failure point so I would keep an eye on it.  I would also test the connection for heat during the heaviest likely load.  This type of connection is not likely to be a "recommended " procedure so I wouldn't expect it to be standard or an engineering practice.  If you want to you could check for voltage loss through the connection with a volt meter.  Bottom line is I think it will work.

Randy

2001 Volvo VNL 42 Cummins ISX Autoshift

Glen, I'm basically with Randy's great advice on this one. Not having any specifics I will ONLY say in general many of those lighter duty  crimp on ring and spade terminals ARE NOWHERE NEAR THE CURRENT CAPACITY of heavier copper usually 1/4 to 5/16 or even 3/8  sizes. The often used YELLOW take up to 10 Gauge wire I believe while the heavy copper terminals may take 8 or 6 or even 4 or larger cable. HOWEVER the problem is there may not be enough room or space to use those heavy terminals grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr  Resistive voltage dropping heat and carbon  producing connections and terminals are sooooooooooo often a problem. 

John T

Bms has short run of #6. My cable #4. 100 amp bms. But there are 3 of them so likely never see 300 amps coming out of those bms

Edited by GlennWest

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1