Tires - difficulty getting

hemsteadc

Needing 4 Michelin 255-80-r22.5 for my 2008 m2 -106 Sportchassis.  Steers are fine.

I'm hearing everything from they're discontinued, to back order, to 'we have them but transportation issues getting here.'  Tirerack dot com says 'Backordered.'    And I can't seem to find anyone who has anything decent in any other brand in that size.  The best I could do was a Falken tire (cheap) from a dirty, pig-sty of a tire shop.   At about 1/3 of the price of a Michelin I'm just slightly skeptical.  And another shop wants to sell me Toyos that are a different size, claiming the 'sizes are different from each maker'.  That's sounds fishy to me, but I could go measure them myself.

So... what to do?  Anyone out there with similar issues?  Can I put a 255-70  on there without too much disruption?    

It never pays to wait to the last minute for truck issues.  Trying to head south.

Edited by hemsteadc

12 hours ago, SWharton said:

You can get a different size. Any tire store should be able to tell you the substitute size.

I would hope so.  Isn't this just a "semi" tire that any truck shop should have?

10 hours ago, Pat & Pete said:

How much room between your current mounted Michlins ?

About 3".  The tread width is the first number, isn't it?  255 mm is about 10", but the actual tread with is more like 7.5".  Not even close.

Edited by hemsteadc

2 hours ago, hemsteadc said:

I would hope so.  Isn't this just a "semi" tire that any truck shop should have?

About 3".  The tread width is the first number, isn't it?  255 mm is about 10", but the actual tread with is more like 7.5".  Not even close.

The tire width is 255 mm from sidewall to sidewall . The tread width will likely be less than that .

80 series tires will be a little taller than 70 series tires and the difference should have an effect on the speedometer readout . How much is ???

The reason I asked about space between is that if tires are too close , problems might crop up .

3 inches allows for some variation .

Goes around , comes around .

28 minutes ago, Pat & Pete said:

80 series tires will be a little taller than 70 series tires and the difference should have an effect on the speedometer readout . How much is ???

Thanks.    The speedo reads too fast as it is (actual 55 is about 58), so I pretty much use the GPS as my speedometer.

31 minutes ago, Pat & Pete said:

What are the manufacturers tire size recommendations for your rig ? 

The door sticker says 255-80.  It's getting moot as they are difficult to come by.  I'm actually entertaining the idea of putting a set of 255-70 Falkens on there and wait  out the shortage of Michelins.

Edited by hemsteadc

Michelins aren't the only ones getting short . 

We tried to buy a new set of Toyos this fall , but , ran into the same thing as you . 

Like you , we could get the no name brands easy enough . 

At least I've heard of Falkens . I have no idea as to reputation . 

Goes around , comes around .

The old rule of thumb for truckers distance between duals was 1 ½" minimum.  This was to prevent stones from becoming lodged between duals  then at speed throwing the stones behind you, and prevent dual tires "kissing" under load.

Now we have this for guidance: https://www.doublecointires.com/wp-content/uploads/Double-Coin-Dual-Spacing-InfoSheet.pdf

When considering a different sized tire, this is invaluable: https://tiresize.com/calculator/

Edited by Ray,IN

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

7 hours ago, hemsteadc said:

I'm not familiar with that size spec.

Tires done, crisis averted!  Thanks all.

They are the tubeless version of the old 10:00-20 tire. 

11R22.5 and 11R24.5 are the most common tire ever in western Canada, eh?

Metric “low pro’s” can be a bit of a chase to find.

"Are we there yet?" asked no motorcycle rider, ever. 

Little off topic but if there regrooveable and they probably are. I would go that route. Michelin encourages regrooving. Find and old school tire shop they can do it.  Not recap but retread. I learned to do my own from an old school tire shop.  Can only do drives though. You CAN NOT regroove steers so keep this in mind. That is the law.

• 2 weeks later...