Tire Recommendations for Dually Truck

Jinx & Wayne -

When I see an interesting name branded on something these days I have a little look see to make sure the brand I am "indentifying with" isn't something stupid or offensive from some movie or Tik Tok "influencer" and so on. 

Anyhoo "Crugen" looked interesting - it seems it is mostly a family name mostly found in Pennsylvania, USA.  

"Are we there yet?" asked no motorcycle rider, ever. 

I had Kuhmo tires on one dually a few years back and were not impressed with the wear and thread life.  I had been running Michelin M/S2 or AT/2 and had good life from them.  The last two sets made 35,000 miles which I find unacceptable.   I had been getting 60,000 miles from Michelins.  This time I went to a Cooper AT Discovery tire and so far wearing well.  

Ken

Amateur radio operator, 2023 Cougar 22MLS, 2022 F150 Lariat 4x4 Off Road, Sport trim <br />Travel with 1 miniature schnauzer, 1 standard schnauzer and one African Gray parrot

What type driving, type surface?  Go off-road any, sand, lots of snow or rain driving?  Big range of tire types/prices dependent on your type of use.  I use an all terrain but I do a lot of gravel roads, some mud, lots of winter snow, etc..

I use Nitto Terra Grappler, they cover about all I do but not inexpensive.

Edited by NDBirdman

2002 Fifth Avenue RV (RIP) 2015 Ram 3500 Mega-cab DRW(38k miles), 6.7L Cummins Diesel, A668RFE, 3.73, 14,000 GVWR, 5,630 Payload, 27,300 GCWR, 18,460 Max Trailer Weight Rating(For Sale) , living in the frigid north, ND.

On 10/5/2021 at 1:28 PM, palmeris said:

BF Goodrich I run these LT245 75R17  all season 2 on my f450 dually. Rotate every 5k - get over 70k on them- Great highway tires, i dont do off road, mud or snow , but if i did would look at the T/A KO2 model

Back when I towed a 5er with my Chevy LB,CC, 4wd dually I ran B.F. Goodrich. Prior to purchasing new tires I would observe UPS delivery trucks and note the brand of steer tires, this was in 2005. At that time they all were  B.F.Goodrich T/A commercial tires, so that's what I bought. I figured if the UPS bean counters liked them they were good enough for me.

I was never unhappy with either set of 6 tires I bought.

Edited by Ray,IN

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

21 hours ago, noteven said:

Anyhoo "Crugen" looked interesting - it seems it is mostly a family name mostly found in Pennsylvania, USA.

Korean tire manufacturer. Subsidiary of Doublestar which is Chinese.

Wayne & Jinx
2017 F-350 diesel, dually
2006 Carriage Carri-Lite 36KSQ

Jinx and Wayne

2006 Carriage Carri-Lite 36KSQ

I run Continentals on my F550. Happy with them, my previous Michelins had lots of tread left but developed sidewall cracks. I've run Coopers on my last 2 Jeeps and have Goodyear "H" tires on my 5th wheel. All tires are made in the USA.  Wouldn't run anything else.

2006 Elite Suite 36TK3
2001 F-550 Starhauler
www.mytripjournal.com/elitesuitestravels
IN GOD WE TRUST

Find a local tire dealer where you are and have a discussion of what you are doing and the travel you expect to do. 

Sure you can purchase a round piece of rubber for less money from an online retailer, but what type of person is advising you? Someone who sits in front of a computer like I'm doing right now. Typing an answer to your question. They are hoping you will accept the answer as fact and it will encourage you to purchase the product from the company they are working for. 

Branded tire shops are almost a thing of the past. There used to be a "Firestone" store a "Goodyear" store, maybe a "Goodrich" or a "Cooper" in town. If you thought one brand was better you visited that store and they took care of you .  Now a quick google search turned these up for "Truck Tires"

I recently put several new tires on my rig. Second or third time since obtaining my truck. Sad point is the tires had full tread remaining, but were over 7 years old and had some sidewall checking. My younger brother is my tire guy and I'd rather buy from him than from where ever I might be if I have a "Blowout", so I replaced them. He will sell the tires to Farmer's who will get a lot more years out of the tires and maybe wear one or two of them out. 

I decided to go with the least expensive tires this time. I have high quality steers, but the drive tires are the least expensive he could get at the time. It's a daunting task trying to sort out the tires. Hopefully you can develop a relationship with a local dealer who can advise you and be there if something happens with those tires. My first big purchase were tires for my new to me Toyhauler in 2007 or 8. Six new ones wanted "His best". Got some Goodyear's and made two trips to Florida. On the way back 3 blow outs before escaping the State of Florida. Used my spare, and got a couple in Atlanta before finally getting to Iowa. Goodyear gave me all new tires and repaired the damage to my trailer. I doubt if Discount Tire, or Tire Rack would have done so, but I don't shop there anyway. Others may have had good experiences. 

Rod

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

Well this can be one of those Ford verses Chevy augments.  When I needed tires for the Ram I went to the local long time dealer that I had dealt with before and flat out asked. What would be the best tires for the truck planning on towing a 5th wheel cross country. He told me that he has been a life long Michelin Guy but that he would recommend Cooper's and that is what he is running currently on his truck.  So Had him install the Cooper's and they have been wearing well. around 10,000 miles on them so far. 5000 towing a heavy 5th wheel.

Gary

On 10/5/2021 at 1:28 PM, palmeris said:

BF Goodrich I run these LT245 75R17  all season 2 on my f450 dually. Rotate every 5k - get over 70k on them- Great highway tires, i dont do off road, mud or snow , but if i did would look at the T/A KO2 model

I always ran B.F.Goodrich on my Chevy dually with great results. Since UPS delivery truck ran them I thought them suitable for my personal use, I never regretted buying them..

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961