Have a no start issue just before planned departure.

lappir

Well actually the truck started right up, which was sort of unusual for me. I'd usually get a fire and then it would shudder and finally die. I'd get under the hood and pump the priming pump and after an extended crank it would fire again and all would be well. 

Today if fired up ran for almost a minute (way longer than normal) and then started to shudder, never died, but did not sound good at all. Took a quick video with sound and sent it off to my mechanic friend in Iowa. I then took the same video to the truck repair shop just up the road a mile. They were very  nice, listened to it, but when they found out it was the Volvo motor they said the other shop in town worked on them. 

Got the number, they are backed up with the prep for harvest and I'm sure when harvest is in full speed they will be even more busy.  I did get two other numbers for "Mobile Mechanics" and have contacted both and they too are busy at least this afternoon for one and am waiting on the other to call me back. 

I'm uploading a video to You Tube with the noise and will post a link to it soon. 

Rod

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

What year truck do you have.

On our 2000 Volvo has a fitting at the fuel splitter valve under the sleeper area. One time I had a loose fitting there that caused a problem. Air in the line caused problems. I tried to fix the threads and it lasted a little while. I finally had to put a new splitter valve on.

It could be a loose fuel filter. Years ago I had trouble with a overnighted fuel filter. Loosened it up and then the truck started. Also Baldwin filters have helped on the hard starting situation also.

Vern in a T-shirt  

Rod, it might be that you got a bit of air in one or more injector lines.  Not sure how you motor's built, but I can tell you that some you must crack individual lines to get the air out.  I had a "B" model Cummins in a tractor that was horrible to get bled if you were foolish enough to run out of fuel.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

Thanks for the responses and suggestions. Here is the video with the sound of it running. It's now not even starting. I'm suspecting what you have suggested and hoping there is a mechanic that will come out to assist me with the repair. The Volvo place has no mobile mechanic and so far the two people they suggested I call, only one has answered and their mechanic was out for the night last night. 

This afternoon after work I will stick the tanks. I was 3/4 full when I parked in in June, but ... Don't remember what the gauge said, was more concerned about the sounds.  Will have to sweep off my parking mat for the bike and slide it under the truck to check some things tonight also. 

The truck was serviced just before this trip with all filters changed and a repair of a leaking fuel line. I don't see any signs of a new leak, but the lines are 20 years old. 

The truck in  a 2001 with the  Volvo  465 900,000+ miles on it. 

Rod 

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2007 Honda GL 1800

Mechanic came this evening at 1830 after spending all day at his shop. Will be coming back tomorrow with a computer to check codes. Truck spins over and despite multiple priming pumps and pumps while attempting to start there was no fire in the cylinders. His best guess at this point is the Oil Pump. The oil pressure does not build with the starter spinning. 

I took my video to several other shops and their thought of when it was running were either an injector, injector cup and one thought "Cam Shaft".  None have come to look at the truck though. 

With the Beet Harvest just days away all shops are busy. Looks like I might have to miss the first part of the HDT Rally. Will hopefully know more tomorrow afternoon. 

Rod

2007 Honda GL 1800

23 minutes ago, Wrknrvr said:

Did it run properly when it was parked.

Thinking , Vern

Yes.

Trip from Oklahoma to Iowa and then North Dakota. Complete service done in Iowa with the repair of a leaking fuel line before the 600 mile trip to ND.  Ran fine the entire way. 

Rod

2007 Honda GL 1800

What fuel line repair was done.

I remembered that my truck supply line came out at a 90 degree angle from the fuel splitter. From vibration it wore away the pipe threads. I tried to clean them up with a tap. It worked for awhile. Finally replaced the fuel splitter. This was on 2000 Volvo with a N14 Cummins.

Is it spinning over like it should.

Thinking again,  Vern 

8 hours ago, Wrknrvr said:

What fuel line repair was done.

I remembered that my truck supply line came out at a 90 degree angle from the fuel splitter. From vibration it wore away the pipe threads. I tried to clean them up with a tap. It worked for awhile. Finally replaced the fuel splitter. This was on 2000 Volvo with a N14 Cummins.

Is it spinning over like it should.

Thinking again,  Vern 

It was a line from the back of the engine and comes up from the top of the fuel filter near the fuel filter and where the primer piston is. Will try to get a photo of it and the an item that should have been deleted with the repair but was not. It's the second time something has been done to that line and not by me. The existing and newly repaired line is tied to an older line (I'm assuming OE line and fitting). There is a metal inline something or other that my mechanic thought may have been something added to "Gain MPG".  AKA mileage booster inline magnet to arrange the fuel molecules for best burning. I wish it had been taken out before the fix. 

I'm hoping after work today the mechanic who came out has something to offer. I have another "Mobile Tech" who can be free Thursday after I get off work to come and take a look too. 

The folks here in North Dakota have been some of the best I have ever met in traveling across this nation. They all apologize for being so busy and not able to drop what they are currently doing  to come to my aid. None have asked for nor accept any money for their time and trouble so far. Even the guy who delayed going home from work by quite a bit last night. 

To top that off it's been one of the most enjoyable assignments I've ever done. One of my coworkers said yesterday when I was sharing my plight. " People come to North Dakota to see it once and then stay because their car won't start." Sort of funny, but not. 

Rod

2007 Honda GL 1800

Sounds like its sucking air somewhere.  I dont know jack about Volvo engines but I wold be tempted to give her a shot of starting fluid.  But If you have glow plugs that wold be a very very bad idea.

Farmer, Trucker, Equipment operator, Mechanic

Quando omni flunkus moritati-When all else fails, play dead
I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.

I had some air in the line on our Volvo that finally ended up being that line coming out of the splitter valve. Chased low fuel in the fuel filter for a year or two. That leak at first did not leak fuel.

Just last week I chased a problematic Aquahot diesel heater doing strange stuff. I was there for a fuel filter and new burner nozzle. It ran good when I left the job.

Three days later customer called with no heat. Went back to check things out and found the fuel filter 2/3s low on fuel again. The filter was tight. Finally found a loose fuel line. Tightened the clap and it sorta worked.

Low fuel pressure. It apparently ran for some time sucking a little air. I put a temporary burner on it and it works. I need to see if the old pump will build 145 psi. It not then It ruined the fuel pump.

Then late in the week I was called to another Aquahot that was also sporadic in it operation.

Ended up being fuel filter base threads were just about stripped off. When I went to remove the fuel filter it rotated about 1/4 turn and fell off.

New filter base and no more air in the system and it operates as designed.

Jut saying,   Vern

we are in Montana so mountain  time zone

7 hours ago, steiny93 said:

Hey lappir, being on the road and having issues is a pain.  I live in ND in the Fargo area, if you need something don't hesitate to reach out.

Thanks for the offer. I'm North of you in Grand Forks and the people I have spoke with have all been very good and helpful, just not enough to get the truck on the road just yet. 

The mechanic who came last evening, came back today on his lunch break to hook up the computer. Found several things regarding fuel pressure but is not sure exactly where it's coming from. Says the priming pump doesn't act like there is a loss of pressure but something is preventing fuel getting to the cylinders. I have some filters in the truck and will replace the ones I know where they go and start cranking again. Will look at the fuel lines too, have had a few leaks and did ask my mechanic to change them all when the first one happened. He talked me out of it. Would it have helped today, no one knows. 

Changing into the working on the truck clothes. Wish me luck, 

Rod

2007 Honda GL 1800

Got the diagnosis this afternoon and put down the deposit for the parts to be ordered today and shipped. Should be her by Monday mid morning and the repairs done by Wednesday around the same time. 

They share a test part with another store and it was brought in this morning and hooked up. The truck started, so they are pretty sure if they replace it with a new one and do all the other work required I will be find for a long time. Sure hope so, it's going to be an expensive repair. Not as much as another put in his truck a few years ago. Sure hope I made the right choice. 

I sent an email to a couple people this morning early to inquire about an estimate to move my trailer. Neither replied yet, so I paid the deposit to get the parts on the move. If I get a very favorable estimate for the move, I may consider fixing the truck and then putting it up for sale. It's got a fresh set of rubber all around and I just mounted a tool box. All it really needs now is a flat deck over the exposed frame rails and maybe some steps to get on top. 

If I leave Wednesday, I should be at the rally by Thursday afternoon. That's the plan as of now Friday October 8, 2021

Rod

2007 Honda GL 1800

Oil wicking through the wiring harness to the ECM. 

New ECM, wiring harness and a sensor or two they say. 

Will know for sure next week. Parts to be shipped yesterday and arrive Monday, but I'm at the mercy of FedEx they say. 

Rod

2007 Honda GL 1800

On 10/9/2021 at 11:24 AM, 747Flyer said:

I'm surprised you can even get a new ECM for a 2001. I thought they had to be repaired/ rebuilt. I have a '98 610. I hope things work out well for you.

I guess I'm assuming it's new for the price. As of 11:30 it hadn't arrived. Fed Ex usually there by 10:30 they said Friday. Saw all the flight cancellations and such so who knows what will happen. My youngest was in Phoenix this weekend and had an hour and half delay in departure, but it was a direct flight to OKC and maybe the weather there affected her flight. Pretty sure she didn't fly South West who stranded 1000's I read. 

I'm going back after 3:30 when the mechanics leave for the day to load the part of the ramp I should have before the truck left, but didn't think of it until I saw it leaning against the trailer where I put it. Hoping to hear the parts are here and they are ready to work on it all day tomorrow, maybe they will get it finished early. 

Rod

2007 Honda GL 1800

Parts came and were sitting on the work table. The truck was moved from one side of the shop to the other, apparently the truck in the spot where mine was would only fit inside there. 

The last I heard was Wednesday afternoon would be the completion. To me that means "quitting time" most likely.  So much for a full rally attendance. Might manage Friday and Saturday morning. 

Rod 

2007 Honda GL 1800

Ending this today. 

Made it to the HDT Rally last night after the shop got the truck done ahead of their estimated time. No decrease in cost though. 

If anyone has a model similar to my 2001 with the Volvo 465 motor and you have not yet changed out the "Harness" DO IT SOON. Don't wait for the truck to fail to start, because that's the sign the ECM has been involved to. 

The replacement harness is costly but adding the ECM made it a whole lot more. 

I had asked about it to some mechanics but the answer is 'fix it when it's broke'. Mostly good advice, except in this one situation. 

Rod

2007 Honda GL 1800

4 hours ago, rpsinc said:

Should I have similar concerns for my 2008 730?  I think a 2001 is Gen 1 and my 2008 is Gen II.  

Not sure, but a Volvo dealership should be able to tell you if there is a "Wicking" issue with your motor. 

Rod

2007 Honda GL 1800

Seems to me that a few years ago, there was a rash of leaky harnesses.  I think Suite Success was one....

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

The trip North To South was without issue. Not so going East from the West. 

Lost all power, looked down and had a "No Data" message on the readout. I was cruising at a pretty good clip and there was an exit in view. About half way to the exit it suddenly started back up and continued to run like nothing happened. Made it all the way to Spacecraft from Hays, KS. 

It started fine at Spacecraft and all was good until I slowed down for the first turn toward the interstate in Concordia. Had an engine emblem in the read out, but it wouldn't show any faults. I pressed my luck once again and made it all the way to Cape Girardeau, MO and as a post on another topic I'm parked for a while. 

Haven't reached out to the repairing dealer in Grand Forks, yet. Will notify them of the issue tomorrow after I've had a good night sleep. Chose the dinette  to sleep on last night and in South Dakota. It's OK, and easier to get in and out of, but I think I sleep better on the top bunk. Maybe a mattress topper is needed. 

Rod

2007 Honda GL 1800

• 1 year later...

https://youtu.be/-R3krP4u-uE

Not sure if the link will work, but Remember the issue I had with No Data Link last year and then again this spring? Well it struck again leaving the National Rally. Thankfully the fix was easy to find and get done. (At least for now.) The video is of my truck sitting on the right side the interstate. 

Rod

2007 Honda GL 1800