difference between jetpack and phone hotspot?

I have never owned or used a jetpack, so am unclear as to what the real difference is between a jetppack and the phones hotspot, especially since I ehard the jetpack is a hotspot..

I have an iphone 6s+ with a hotspot. I am able to use the phones hotspot concurrently on my PC and iPad with no degradation of signal.  I also have unlimited data and streaming, for $25/mo, using the verizon backbone.  How?  I use one of the inexpensive phone services.  The carrier I use is Visible.com. They have a party pay system which starts at $40/mo, and if you have 4+ people on your party service each pay $25 for unlimited service. The only time I have had a problem is when in a area where verizon has poor service, or you are not near a cell tower.

To correct the last issue of not being enar a cell tower, I am lookinig into getting an interent booster, which should eliminate that issue. 

Happy Trails,

2009 Four Winds Chateau - 25' class C          2002 Chevy Tracker

1458033694__statesVisitedas-ofMarch-2012.jpg.b173645da4a43150ba2820dc7a6bdfc5.jpg

"Jetpack" is just Verizon's trade name for the generic term "hotspot". A standalone hotspot is a data only cell device that may have more advanced features than a phone with hotspot capabilities. Features like dual external antenna ports with MIMO (Multiple Input, Multiple Output) support for stronger signals, 10-15 simultaneous device connections, and extended frequency band coverage are pretty common in current hotspots. Some hotspots also support charging a phone using the hotspot's own usually larger battery. When there's more than one user, a standalone hotspot also means the data service isn't interrupted if someone needs to take the cell phone with them to go somewhere.

You mentioned getting a cell signal booster for better coverage, so I'll just mention that since we started using a roof mounted aimable MIMO antenna set with our hotspots, we've not found anywhere that our expensive booster got a better signal than the MIMO set.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

Here's our guide/video that goes over the basics of differences between hotspotting off your phone, using a mobile hotspot device (aka 'Jetpack' - just a marketing term, like Kleenex is for facial tissues) or more advanced cellular routers. 

It really comes down to your mobile internet needs as to what is best for you. Including data plan availability for your device type.  

Hotspot? Router? Smartphone?

As far as improving your signal, unfortunately with a smartphone - the only option is an expensive cellular booster. And they're not always optimal for data service. Also, Visible is always capped at 5 Mbps speeds for hotspot data, which is fine for a lot of tasks - but they have the lowest priority on the Verizon network. Again, fine for basic needs (but maybe not for someone working remotely with heavy data needs). Also, your iPhone 6s is fairly old, a newer phone would give you a more modern modem with more potential coverage and speed. 

More: Optimizing Cellular Data Performance

- Cherie

Cherie & Chris (and Kiki *meow*) / Personal Blog: Technomadia.com
Technomads (technology enabled nomads) since 2006

Our Nomadic Fleet:
RVs:
Zephyr: 1961 GM 4106 bus conversion / Blooper: 2020.5 Winnebago Travato GL Boat: Y-Not: 1999 Bayliner 4788

Hosts of the Mobile Internet Resource Center
Mobile Internet Information for RVers, Cruisers & Nomads
Proud to be recognized as Escapee's Commercial Partners #773 / Escapees RVOU Instructors

• 5 weeks later...
On 10/5/2021 at 9:51 AM, Technomadia said:

Here's our guide/video that goes over the basics of differences between hotspotting off your phone, using a mobile hotspot device (aka 'Jetpack' - just a marketing term, like Kleenex is for facial tissues) or more advanced cellular routers. 

It really comes down to your mobile internet needs as to what is best for you. Including data plan availability for your device type.  

Hotspot? Router? Smartphone?

As far as improving your signal, unfortunately with a smartphone - the only option is an expensive cellular booster. And they're not always optimal for data service. Also, Visible is always capped at 5 Mbps speeds for hotspot data, which is fine for a lot of tasks - but they have the lowest priority on the Verizon network. Again, fine for basic needs (but maybe not for someone working remotely with heavy data needs). Also, your iPhone 6s is fairly old, a newer phone would give you a more modern modem with more potential coverage and speed. 

More: Optimizing Cellular Data Performance

- Cherie

Thanks

2009 Four Winds Chateau - 25' class C          2002 Chevy Tracker

1458033694__statesVisitedas-ofMarch-2012.jpg.b173645da4a43150ba2820dc7a6bdfc5.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I have been using Visible service for a couple of years now and am very pleased with it. As far as I know it is about the only service that has truly unlimited hotspot data. Joining a Party Pay plan brings the total price down to $25/month for unlimited everything. Using a wireless router allows you to connect multiple devices. I'm using a GL-MT1300 Beryl Router and there is a fairly simple hack to eliminate the 5 Mb/s speed cap. I did a speed test this morning and am getting 60 Mb/s. This speed varies a lot but I am getting a fairly consistent 30 Mb/s.

Here's a link to a document that covers a lot of info regarding Visible: Unlimited Internet for AS LITTLE AS $25 with Party Pay

Toward the end of the document it tells about the firewall rule hack.

I have tried putting the Visible SIM card into my 6620L JetPack. The only change needed is to change the APN to VSBLINTERNET. It works great but I don't know if Visible can detect this. They could shut down your service if they find out. I did this for a few days when I destroyed my phone and was waiting for a replacement.

Edited by Tom_M

Tom
—————————————————
2005 Born Free 24' Rear Bath
Towing 1978 VW Bug convertible
Minneapolis, MN

12 hours ago, Tom_M said:

I have been using Visible service for a couple of years now and am very pleased with it. As far as I know it is about the only service that has truly unlimited hotspot data. Joining a Party Pay plan brings the total price down to $25/month for unlimited everything. Using a wireless router allows you to connect multiple devices. I'm using a GL-MT1300 Beryl Router and there is a fairly simple hack to eliminate the 5 Mb/s speed cap. I did a speed test this morning and am getting 60 Mb/s. This speed varies a lot but I am getting a fairly consistent 30 Mb/s.

Here's a link to a document that covers a lot of info regarding Visible: Unlimited Internet for AS LITTLE AS $25 with Party Pay

Toward the end of the document it tells about the firewall rule hack.

I have tried putting the Visible SIM card into my 6620L JetPack. The only change needed is to change the APN to VSBLINTERNET. It works great but I don't know if Visible can detect this. They could shut down your service if they find out. I did this for a few days when I destroyed my phone and was waiting for a replacement.

I'm going on two years with my Visible SIM in a couple of different hotspots, currently a 6620L. If Visible has a problem with me using only one of the three services I'm paying for, they haven't said anything to me...

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system