Old Goat's at it again

phoenix2013

2 hours ago, rickeieio said:

Well, see this yellow stuff on my face?  That's egg.  I measured the thickness of my ET head today, and it's 1/2".  So, this must be the plate for "ET Light".

The desire for a "lighter version" has been around for years. The original Super Binkley was designed without concern what it would weigh. Primary goal was the ability to put it together with relatively unsophisticated equipment, to be strong and to eliminate the design issues of the original Binkley. It weighs over 100 pounds. This is my second bite at the apple. It will be actually more than 1/2" thick in critical areas.

Aha, a new Binkley head that’s less than 100#… finally, now that I’m 15 years into the old GOAT - ET Sr😬

Don & Fannie

2005 Volvo 670, 12sp FreedomLine, "Black Dude", 3.36 axle, Szmyt Wonder-Bed Smart loader,

ET hitch, Jackalopee (original-prototype), BLUE-DOT air-over-hydraulic brake system,

2007 New Horizons F35RLSSS-C (Mor/Ryde-IS, Kodiak disc brakes, 17.5 H tires),

2005 smart fortwo passion

22 hours ago, donf888 said:

Aha, a new Binkley head that’s less than 100#… finally, now that I’m 15 years into the old GOAT - ET Sr😬

Don, good to hear from you, it's been too long, here's some Old Goating memories you might recognize.

7DsmsQvl.jpg

Extending and modifying that New Horizon pin box so it would reach that "old" 100lbs + Super Binkley. As you remember I was always very democratic in my relationships with customers, "I do the engineering, here are the tools, you do the work". Always under the guise that if you do it it will cost you less. And the finished product.

NzmjjSFl.jpg

And do you remember this "happy reunion".

8tk9pS4l.jpg

Should we tell them Don? Would you guys like to know, how this conversion came to being and how Don ended up with it in my back yard?

Ha, ha, ha — happy memories getting the trailer properly leveled out with that pin box mod (along with Misc fixes & BlueDot install)— 6 weeks at upstate NH forest with you & Davena, Henry B. daily visits with MIL, Lorena!

Cheers to all at Hutch!

Edited by donf888

Don & Fannie

2005 Volvo 670, 12sp FreedomLine, "Black Dude", 3.36 axle, Szmyt Wonder-Bed Smart loader,

ET hitch, Jackalopee (original-prototype), BLUE-DOT air-over-hydraulic brake system,

2007 New Horizons F35RLSSS-C (Mor/Ryde-IS, Kodiak disc brakes, 17.5 H tires),

2005 smart fortwo passion

• 4 months later...

Project went dormant for a few months, but was resurrected, thanks to a new year resolution to "git it done".

jDy9tT2l.jpg 

ON6rdy8l.jpg

Holes in three different parts (bent), hmmm, not too cool, better check on those bend radiuses

3lhIIaUl.jpg

Here's a dimension that should make everyone happy  0.250"

w2uuhqql.jpg

You should not high hitch into the bottom  "mushroom" regardless how crappy (thick) glide plate you slap onto the pinbox

• 2 weeks later...

We are having fun right now. Holes are all lined up.

E7j2zmvl.jpg

Quite a bit of engineering went into the inner insert.

w0HtSs2l.jpg

B0HONqgl.jpg

Ok, genius call, genius call. WHAT'S THE NEXT COMPONENT I NEED TO DESIGN TO MAKE THIS WORK?

In the meantime Young's Welding is spurring the Old Goat on by doing things like this.

BLeupIbl.jpg

AxceoLQl.jpg

23 hours ago, phoenix2013 said:

We are having fun right now. Holes are all lined up.

E7j2zmvl.jpg

Quite a bit of engineering went into the inner insert.

w0HtSs2l.jpg

B0HONqgl.jpg

Ok, genius call, genius call. WHAT'S THE NEXT COMPONENT I NEED TO DESIGN TO MAKE THIS WORK?

In the meantime Young's Welding is spurring the Old Goat on by doing things like this.

BLeupIbl.jpg

AxceoLQl.jpg

It must be interesting to watch their CNC brake bend that up. I assuming is does the two small angled areas first then does the sides and ends. I may have to see if they give tours! 

2005 Freightliner Century S/T, Singled, Air ride ET Jr. hitch
2019 46'+ Dune Sport Man Cave custom 5th wheel toy hauler
Owner of the 1978 Custom Van "Star Dreamer" which might be seen at a local car show near you!

Check out http://www.hhrvresource.com/

for much more info on HDT's.

13 hours ago, Star Dreamer said:

It must be interesting to watch their CNC brake bend that up. I assuming is does the two small angled areas first then does the sides and ends. I may have to see if they give tours! 

It's not that sophisticated, it's up to the operator and they have a really good guy. The CNC software primarily predicts the behavior of the material so that after the bend and spring back the angle is dead nuts on. It considers, material, the grade of material, thickness, bend radius, etc. Interesting thing I learned at Young's is that given all that it can still screw up. It took them a while to figure out that steel mills lie like a rug (particularly about the imported crap), they say that the material meets these or those parameters, but Lord only knows what they threw into the furnace to make it. The plate Young's use for bending purposes they purchase from specific vendors.

The brake is just a standard 10-12 foot brake, so my challenge is think like and operator designing this stuff, think through the bending sequence and not design an impossible bend that you can't get to when the other bends are created. I like this new "intellectual venture". It's important to maintain engineering pragmatism doing this, if the brake operator tells me, I can't make this bend, or I don't have a die to get in there to do this, I change the design to make it possible.

On the main assembly it goes from 6 pieces down to 2 pieces.

nfpK19xl.jpg

jFQkUYJl.jpg

We eliminate at least an hour of precision jigging and welding, take out good amount of weight, retaining half inch material in the areas only where we need it. Note that the secondary machining for the jaw pin counterbore goes away courtesy of the laser cutting two different size holes.

Edited by phoenix2013