Pass through power into an inverter.

lappir

I won't go into the whole story, but my 3000 watt inverter I had installed to "Keep my fridge running for 24 to 48 hours" never worked. Many reasons why. So far it hasn't been a huge problem, but I may want to take the truck and trailer to work Friday before heading South for the HDT Rally and it could be longer than my typical leaving it unplugged. I could eat all the food and use a cooler I guess, but I'm thinking if I can fire up my 2000 Honda genny and plug it into the inverter as a passthrough, turn off all the other breakers, the fridge may run while the truck is sitting in the work parking lot. 

I have tried using the conversion cords to the main power inlet and it's a no go, most likely due to the power management block. I think that is bypassed with the inverter, so running it through may just be the ticket. 

Any assist? 

The inverter is a 3K Vanner Quasi Sine wave. It appears there is a pass through circuit when reviewing the owners manual. It's dark yet so I can't go out for a photo. Maybe later. 

Rod

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

10 hours ago, Jaydrvr said:

Are you familiar with the bonding hack generally necessary to "fool" the management system? Usually, the power management block requires bonded power. You can make a "bonded" plug to insert into an unused outlet on the genny to bond it. Jay

No, but I'm thinking tying the ground to the neutral, is that it? 

Rod

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2007 Honda GL 1800

12 hours ago, Jaydrvr said:

Yep, that's all it takes. Not exactly kosher, but it works. Jay

That's sort of funny. After typing the response yesterday I spent the whole day outside preparing for my upcoming move. I moved lots of things around. Finally found a place to mount my tool box and while searching for something I came across a 50 amp outlet lying in a box. Low and behold I saw a jumper wire from the ground to the neutral pole. I don't ever remember making that, but I had an extension cord made by a electrician friend of mine many years ago for my 50 amp service with an outlet in a box. I remember using that box for something else a couple years ago and apparently didn't notice the jumper wire when I took the outlet out. I guess it's a good thing I'm not Jewish. 

Rod

2007 Honda GL 1800

When you get to a certain age, those random things just sort of pop up into the conscious part of the brain. I had a lot of those experiences recently while emptying our family home of fifty years. As I responded to the post I was visualizing the little six inch extension cord I made to use use with my new Honda EU-2000 for the sole purpose of providing a bond. I had just installed a Xantrex RS-3000 inverter and a 525 a/h battery bank so I wouldn't have to ever idle. But the inverter wouldn't recognize the output of the Honda, until I figured out the bonding thing. Good luck, Jay