Question about a shuttle bus conversion

etcetera

I like this shuttle bus (looks like  a 16-passenger?) but have questions about the conversion.  It was a utility vehicle.  Fits me length-wise (more or less), gas V10 motor, truck front, all desirable features not to mention low miles.

It will need some work, install basic utils inside. My number one question, what about these external sliding doors (Like on a Uhaul truck). They do not appear to be lockable and need to be replaced somehow, any ideas? Apparently the area behind the doors is not accessible from the inside as seen on the pics. Opinions? Or should I want for a larger 28-32 passenger shuttle bus in my area. I could use more room, but this one is sweet.

https://imgur.com/1bWsPZY

https://imgur.com/2TfDQ2F

https://imgur.com/c5NVE0m

Edited by etcetera

I would think by the time you renovate, add utilities & connections, doors, labor, etc. you'd be better off finding a RV to suit you.  You've certainly been looking and changing your mind a lot!

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

I am picky, is that a bad thing?

I haven't seen an RV that I wanted, with all the parameters I want. 

Plus, this has a degree of stealth. Not uber-stealthy like an Amazon delivery truck but some. A B/C class RV has none. It screams "someone is full timing here".  This one I can paint some things on it to designate it a utility vehicle.

I drive a bus for the senior community where we live now that is 16 passenger and that looks to be the same Ford chassis. As I look at the pictures you posted, I can't figure out why the roll-up doors either. If the interior picture was taken from the back door as I suspect, that is a pretty unique bus and must be and doesn't have access to the cab. If looking from the front that might be the cargo area that doesn't open into the passenger section. Our buss is configured quite differently with seats two by two on either side, facing forward. Where the passenger side roll-up door is we have a double door that opens on a wheelchair lift. Our buss has jump seats across the back that can be used if there are no wheelchairs onboard and there are tie-downs for 2 wheelchairs. All of that said, I am pretty sure that the coach you are looking at is significantly longer than what we have here. All 3 of our busses were built by Thro bus division and if that one was it probably has a lot in common with ours so I might be able to answer questions about the structure, or find out the answers. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

That's the luggage bin, and I guarantee it had factory locking abilities. Current condition is anybody's guess. The pics aren't close enough, or enough quantity to form an opinion. It might give you a nice separate area for cargo, or be a deterrence, that depends on you. Just remember that area will be the roughest riding location.

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

The above one looks nice but requires some reconfiguration but it comes with some goodies like a nice tool box, a genny, fridge, etc. Perhaps not as much work as starting from scratch with a newly gutted one. It's a 2012 14-passenger Ford F550 Super Duty XL.  Around 25K and miles are super low about 35K.

Also looking at this one, 2016 F650 32-passenger shuttle bus, also with the glorious V10 6.8L. The miles look absurdly low at 17K but the price is significantly more around 45K and at the very upper end of what I want to spend. The first one I can buy outright, the second will have to finance some part of it.  Still, it looks very sharp. It's about twice as long so I have much more room to experiment during my build.  The bigger size will mean lower MPG and harder to park. The 14-passenger does not appear much bigger than a B-class Sprinter van or one of those Amazon delivery vehicles. So no parking issues. Either one I think blends in and either one will require a lot of work.

The reason I want to build my own is because I have some specific requirements, for example I want to install a nice wood computer desk. 8' couch. I don't think I need the dinette at all that usually comes in an RV.

I am a single person and I've seen single people full time in an even smaller vehicles, like a converted ambo or a EMT truck. These seem tiny in comparison. So I am thinking about the cadillac solution or just something to get buy. I have been watching skoolie classifieds also in the hope of finding a build one but nothing really comes up and when it does, it's usually diesel and I don't care for diesel.

some alternatives I am looking at, this is the F650 I mentioned above

https://imgur.com/YTyzLLI

Edited by etcetera

I asked the seller, just got a response that it does not lock, but maybe he doesn't really know. Anyway these sliding doors have to go.  I am just puzzled as what to do with it, installed door on hinges or completely seal the gap, or what. And it's nice to have access to that area from the inside, and he said it currently doesn't.  So it needs some body work. It's not essential but can be done as time / finances permit. Still, I am considering a few other units in the 28-32 passenger configuration. The 14-passenger one is cute as a button, I like it also despite realizing I will have to make sacrifices there, it won't fit everything I want.

Edited by etcetera

Looks like a "hotel to airport" shuttle bus to me.  The roll up doors probably don't lock as the bus doesn't stay anywhere with the luggage.  Just back and forth airport to hotel etc.

2001 Freightliner FL70, Cat 3126b 300hp, 860 lb/ft, 6 speed manual Eaton/Fuller

Motorhome body by Transport Designs (37 ft overall)

Motorhome Specs and Pictures

Our Music Ministry

Most likely the wall between the passenger compartment and the luggage compartment is not structural so should be able to be opened up to access the area from inside. 

It would be fairly easy to build a wall behind the roll up doors if you wanted to use them for a smaller storage area. You could remove the rear door and easily build a new rear exterior wall but I think the side one would be more difficult to seal up due to the curve. 

It should be fairly easy to add a locking hasp to secure the doors, either from inside or outside depending on what you want to use the area for. 

You would want to get some measurements to see if you can make a floor plan work for what you want. 

Hopefully you are aware that there are some campgrounds that will not allow that type of conversion but there are many that don't care either. 

2005 Freightliner Century S/T, Singled, Air ride ET Jr. hitch
2019 46'+ Dune Sport Man Cave custom 5th wheel toy hauler
Owner of the 1978 Custom Van "Star Dreamer" which might be seen at a local car show near you!

Check out http://www.hhrvresource.com/

for much more info on HDT's.

There is a reason for the low mileage, but do they have an "Hours" meter on them? That's what I would be more concerned about. 

If these vehicles spent their life never leaving the airport and hardly ever going over 30 MPH it would be a SOLID NO in a thought of purchasing. Sure the engine would be brought up to operating temperature fairly quickly, but not the remainder of the moving parts and from my rides in the shuttle buses the drivers really don't care much about how they drive them. I'd take a high mileage well maintained vehicle any day over a low mileage vehicle. The high mileage was driven long enough to bring all fluids up to operating temperature multiple times. That helps ensure all areas are lubricated and decreases the amount of condensation that happens when the temperatures change and there is moisture present. Now if the vehicles are in an arid location for their entire life, it may be different. 

Good luck in your search and keep us posted on your decisions. 

Rod

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

I am kind of inclined to get something else. The seller said it was a phone company utility vehicle, which explains the generator and the toolbox. Looks neat and yeah, the question about engine hours is totally legit. I overlooked it.

Now looking at this item (Can't get the pics to automatically load, not sure why, works elsewhere)

2011 Ford F550 32 pass Shuttle Bus V10 6.8L

Under 130K miles and under 20K, cheaper than the other one but it's completely stock.  It does look a lot more promising. Either one of them will require a lot of work. I think if I get the 32 passenger for say 15K-17K and then invest 20K in it, which is not unusual, I will be happy. 

https://imgur.com/LYQYKKP

Then there is really sharp 2016 F650 shuttle bus, also 32 passenger I already posted about, pretty low miles of 17K miles ( need to inquire about the engine hours). Looks sharp but they are asking 45K. Not sure if it's worth it or what. Will still need about 20K of stuff put into it which will put it into the 65K range, and in that range there many alternatives that do not require any work at all.  Although I do like the concept of what I am getting here and get to pick exactly what goes in it.

https://imgur.com/I8EnGnh

Edited by etcetera

The very long overhand on the 2016 F650 would be a huge negative for me. It is associated with  handling problems at highway speeds. It is however, the best looking of your prospects.

The F550 school bus doors will not perform well in cold or very hot weather, far to much heat transfer will occur. Otherwise it is the best of the 3 prospects, even though it appears to have a wheelchair lift in the rear. Again that's just my opinion.

Edited by Ray,IN

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

7 hours ago, bruce t said:

Have these units got different gear and diff ratios? 

7 hours ago, sandsys said:

And a governor limiting how fast you can drive?

I doubt they are that special order, but maybe. I think it would depend on the size of company that built the end result. If they would put in an order large enough with the specifics I'm sure Ford would do it. A smaller conversion company might just take what's available near them. Both are very good questions I think. 

Rod

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July.