Dometic NDR1292 resettable thermal fuse

youngwillyd

My fridge quit. I am getting a new cooling unit. The switch on the boiler/stack is dead. It has the code 36FXE24 on it. When searching this it appears this is a dryer fuse. It is not resettable. From research it appears this switch should be resettable. If I knew what the temperature limit was I could probably find one, but so far I am getting nowhere. Anyone know anything about this? Thanks 

Willy

2003 Dodge Ram 3500 4X4 Dually 5.9 CTD 48RE 373 Rear

2004 Teton Experience Frontier

Consider  purchasing an ARP Fridge Defend instead. It does away with your non-working thermal fuse.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

53 minutes ago, Ray,IN said:

It does away with your non-working thermal fuse.

Really? Mine certainly didn't do that.  That limiter interrupts power to the refrigerator and either has to work or to be bypassed. 

Willy, does it look like this one?   61ePMMiZzML._AC_UL200_SR200,200_.jpg

If that looks right there are several on Amazon.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Kirk, then again, perhaps I interpreted the instructions incorrectly. I know several who have bypassed the Norcold recall black box thermal limiter instead of installing in series as instructions direct. I suspect a lawyer wrote the  "install in series" part of the ARP instructions.

My suggestion was JIC he cannot locate a replacement Dometic limiter, since the NDR1292 is obsolete.

Edited by Ray,IN

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

Willy, have you made any progress and has any of this been helpful to you?

3 hours ago, Ray,IN said:

Kirk, then again, perhaps I interpreted the instructions incorrectly.

I am contacting Paul to see if I miss understood or if you may have. The thing is that his install in mine (Paul installed it) does not violate the manufacturer's warranty which your way would. Of course, the subject refrigerator is not under warranty but an authorized refrigerator repair facility might have a problem servicing it with the modification. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Hi all, it has been a while :)

I would like to clear things up, first, as mentioned the Dometic thermal fuse does not respond in a manner that it will protect the cooling unit from failures that destroy your fridge and that can lead to fires.  Please see the test of the Dometic 'dryer fuse' here: 

https://www.arprv.com/dometic-thermofuse-thermal-limit-switch.php

Next, the Fridge Defend, by looking at the chart in the link given above does control the boiler temperature in a manner that is consistent with all other boiler safety devices in use on planet earth.  Please see Dometic Patent 1965: "Safe Operating Range" patent document quote "abnormally high elevated [boiler] temperatures tend to shorten the life of the refrigeration apparatus". Clearly Dometic acknowledges that high boiler temperatures can sell new refrigerators.

With all of this said, the test of the thermal switch, the quote from Dometic, and the comment about removal of the thermal switch, the NHTSA required Dometic to recall its refrigerators:

https://www.arprv.com/boiler-damage-patents.php  

We at Fridge Defend, formerly the ARP Control, cannot recommend the removal of an NHTSA recall device, even if the device proves to be ineffective. We are advocates for RV safety.  Please let us know if this clears things up?  If not, I am more than pleased to inform folks about the science behind Dometic and Norcold refrigerator safety and reliability.

After a great, great deal of searching, I finally found a Dometic part number by searching for Dometic recall. With the Dometic part number I was able to search for and locate some. The part is called a resettable thermal switch. I finally located one at SUPPLYHOUSE.COM. It is a 290 degree Fahrenheit Red Resettable Thermal Switch. It was only $6 compared to the one with Dometic in it’s name being more than $18. 

2003 Dodge Ram 3500 4X4 Dually 5.9 CTD 48RE 373 Rear

2004 Teton Experience Frontier