Do Monoclonal Antibodies Help COVID Patients?

RV_

From Scientific American:

"Experts explain what this treatment involves, who needs it and how to get it

• By Sara Reardon on September 27, 2021
  • As COVID deaths continue to spike across the U.S.—primarily among unvaccinated populations—newly developed treatments for the disease are again receiving attention. Monoclonal antibody (mAb) therapies are among the most effective. In this treatment, patients are infused with high concentrations of antibodies specifically engineered to fight SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID.

These treatments have been particularly popular in states such as Florida, which has high numbers of unvaccinated people and has been suffering a major outbreak of the Delta variant since August. Governor Ron DeSantis, who has been dismissive of COVID vaccines as a personal choice without broader impact on society has nevertheless touted mAbs, calling them “the best thing we can do to reduce the number of people who require hospitalization.” Health officials argue that vaccination is a better way to avoid the need for these treatments in the first place. But mAbs are indeed effective when delivered early in an infection.

Florida has rolled out more than 20 nonclinical infusion centers—including libraries, theaters and churches—to administer mAbs to people who either have COVID or have been recently exposed to someone who does. Even so, public health workers have had trouble keeping up with demand—one viral photograph taken in late August shows a woman sick with COVID lying on the floor of the Jacksonville Library while awaiting a mAb injection. DeSantis said that more than 90,000 people have received the treatment as of September 16.

Scientific American talked with several experts about mAbs and how they fit into the fight against COVID.

What are monoclonal antibodies, and how do they work?

MAbs have long been used to treat diseases such as cancer and autoimmune disorders—the U.S. Food and Drug Administration has approved nearly 100 such treatments since 1994. To create them, researchers inject a protein—part of SARS-CoV-2, for instance—into a mouse and then collect some of its immune cells that create antibodies against the protein. These cells are then fused with human cancer cells and allowed to multiply so that the specific antibodies can be made at scale and infused into patients. Many mAbs for COVID seem to work best as a “cocktail” of antibodies that each target different parts of the virus.

The approved COVID mAbs appear to be most effective when given right after a person begins showing symptoms. “That’s the time window in which the virus itself is playing a bigger role, before it triggers the inflammatory complications,” says Brandon Webb, an infectious disease physician at Intermountain Healthcare in Utah. If a patient’s immune system overreacts to the infection and requires artificial ventilation because of inflammatory damage to the lungs, the antibodies appear much less effective—and may even be harmful.

What antibodies are available?

Right now, three mAb treatments that target SARS-CoV-2 are available under an FDA emergency use authorization (EUA), which allows a treatment to be used in certain people but stops short of full approval. An antibody called sotrovimab, made by GlaxoSmithKline and Vir, appears to reduce the risk that people infected with COVID will be hospitalized for more than a day or die by 79 percent. A two-antibody cocktail from Regeneron called casirivimab/imdevimab appears similarly effective, reducing the risk of hospitalization and death by 70 percent.

The FDA approved a third cocktail—Eli Lilly’s bamlanivimab/etesevimab—in 2020, but the agency recommended against its use earlier this year after it appeared to be ineffective against new viral variants such as Delta. After a two-month hiatus, the cocktail is back on the market as of August 27 but only in states where fewer than 5 percent of COVID infections are from strains, such as Delta, that are resistant to the treatment.

In June the FDA authorized a fourth cocktail, Genentech’s tocilizumab, for people already hospitalized with COVID. Unlike the other therapies, which target SARS-CoV-2 itself, tocilizumab targets a signaling molecule that can cause the immune system to overreact and produce dangerous levels of inflammation. Back in 2010 the FDA approved tocilizumab for rheumatoid arthritis. It is only moderately effective against COVID, however: studies show that 12 percent of patients receiving the mAb required ventilation or died, compared with 19 percent of those receiving a placebo.  

Who can get mAbs?

What does the treatment entail?

Are mAb treatments a substitute for vaccination?

Those answers and more in the full article here:

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/do-monoclonal-antibodies-help-covid-patients/?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=today-in-science&utm_content=link&utm_term=2021-09-28_top-stories&spMailingID=70680580&spUserID=NTAzMDg3NDk0MDIzS0&spJobID=2203709454&spReportId=MjIwMzcwOTQ1NAS2

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

Man, thanks Derek!

Our Dr. said I was past the window to receive the mAb. I had already been sick for 4 days, unable to eat, drink, and slept all that time. When I did wake up I had to walk with a cane or DW steadying me. We both had a very deep and wracking cough for a week. Dr. put us on antibiotics to reduce chances of a secondary infection in our lungs, and on prednisone to reduce lung inflammation.  I also used my nebulizer to improve lung function.

She mentioned the cocktail when she called with the test results on day 10; saying it probably wouldn't help, too much time had passed. DW only felt like driving day 10 or we never would have gotten tested.

Had we been able to drive to the hospital I suspect we both would have been admitted. Strangely, calling 911 never occurred to either of us.

Now we are past the worst and slowly recovering-I hope. I truly believe if we hadn't been vaccinated we would have died.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

Ray,

I am so sorry that you got sick.   I don't think a lot of people understand that even if vaccinated, the breakthrough infections can really do a person in.   And when someone has a weakened immune system, they often need multiple vaccinations before enough antibodies are present to neutralize the virus.   I hope you are planning on getting your booster as soon as you doctor says it is ok.  We've got our appointments for booster + flu shot next Tuesday!

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

You have to be proactive if you start feeling bad.  Even if fully vaccinated, you can still get a break-through infection.  Generally, these cases are much less severe, and you recover faster.  

If you start feeling bad, you should get to a clinic and get tested right away so that you can try to get ahead of the virus.  

We are fully vaccinated and have the Pfizer booster, yet we are wearing mask and not eating out due to unmasked people.

I am so glad to see social media taking positive steps to take down false information that is getting spread.

Take care and get well soon.

Ken

Amateur radio operator, 2023 Cougar 22MLS, 2022 F150 Lariat 4x4 Off Road, Sport trim <br />Travel with 1 miniature schnauzer, 1 standard schnauzer and one African Gray parrot

Ken, that was the  thing, I had no warning and feeling great. I mowed the yard one day, next day I did all the trimming. That night it hit me like I'd been body-slammed. I was not coherent the next 4 days.

Had I been able and coherent, I would've went to the hospital and gotten the mAb treatment RV started this thread to address. Thanks again Derek!

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

YW Ray! I'd have replied sooner but I was taken ill out of the blue too!

Two days ago Wednesday 29 Sep, I had extreme shortness of breath and after trying to pretend things were OK all day I finally called to get it checked out. The earlier treatment begins the better the results. I was told to go to the ER by my Doc's on call nurse. I had COVID symptoms. I was scheduled to get my COVID booster shot with Lynn yesterday, Thursday. Needless to say I missed it, Lynn got hers however.

There were/are some very sick people here. This is the same hospital I posted about with 90% full beds of COVID patients. It's getting worse.
The ER was full and it took about three hours for my COVID TEST to come back - negative?? After a few questions about cramping legs the Doc ordered a CT Scan. And came back to tell me the bad news - I have a very large PE or pulmonary Embolism in each lung.

I'd had a DVT in 2003 post knee surgery to repair a torn meniscus. It was in my calf and cramped it in a different way, recognizable. Well, early this year it started cramping that same odd way again and I wanted no part of hospitals today as they're full of the poor victims of COVID.

I thought I could wait until COVID was over. WRONG!
The Doc has me on blood thinners and told me I'd be on them for life. And that the new ones are wayyyy better than the Coumadin (Warfarin - rat poison) they used before on me and overdosed me on one weekend before in 2003. Scary stuff that
I'll recover according to my doc, and if it goes away completely it will be three or four months.

These poor nurses here are divided between the COVID patients and us non-COVID patients. Security is tight with controlled rntrance checkpoints to the ward, and the COVID assigned nurses can't help in non COVID rooms to limit the spread. The nurses are doing a lot of the cleaning and picking up because housekeeping is low staffed. They are excelling despite unbelievable pressure, and strain from losing so many patients.

I feel like I am in their way taking up their time they could put to better use elsewhere.  
My prognosis is good. I just want to get out of here and get my booster ASAP! I'll keep everyone posted.
I am posting to remind folks that waiting to get care during COVID can be a very bad decision. Waiting to get vaccinations and booster could be worse.

Safe travels.

Edited by RV_

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

Thanks guys,

I got discharged Friday at 6 pm. I feel fine except for breathing hard after walking even across the room. We have an O2/pulse meter and i can check it any time. My insurance covers an O2 concentrator, and small carry tanks. The lightweight ones you can carry easier are not available due to demand unless buying new outright said the guy who came over to take my temp tanks the hospital, issued to get me home.,to get home, and  I will do some research but if I could make it through COVID masked and staying away from public gatherings I can do four months more easily.

I am now high risk should I catch COVID. Oh well, regardless, while taking every precaution I'm not fearful. Four months should do it.

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

5 hours ago, RV_ said:

Thanks guys,

I got discharged Friday at 6 pm. I feel fine except for breathing hard after walking even across the room. We have an O2/pulse meter and i can check it any time. My insurance covers an O2 concentrator, and small carry tanks. The lightweight ones you can carry easier are not available due to demand unless buying new outright said the guy who came over to take my temp tanks the hospital, issued to get me home.,to get home, and  I will do some research but if I could make it through COVID masked and staying away from public gatherings I can do four months more easily.

I am now high risk should I catch COVID. Oh well, regardless, while taking every precaution I'm not fearful. Four months should do it.

If you're going to be a long term supplemental oxygen user, along with your home concentrator take a look at the Inogen One portable battery operated concentrators. My wife has COPD and has a large DeVilbis concentrator and several large and small tanks that our insurance pays for, but her favorite device for outside use, shopping, appointments, etc, is the Inogen One G5 portable concentrator our daughters bought for her. She has one battery for it that lasts ~4 hours, and a "double" battery that lasts ~10 hours plus a 12-volt power cord. Inogen required her doctor's sign off for the purchase. Our insurance provider would cover a portable concentrator after she was on the tanks for a year, but the unit the medical equipment provider they use supplies is not very well rated.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

RV, do as they tell you and don't feel you are an added burden, I think those treating non-covid patients view it is somewhat liberating.   Yes, the new blood thinners are an improvement.  Fingers crossed that everything goes well.

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

Good grief Derek; that is frightening. I wish you the very best my friend.  Yes the old Warfarin drug is way outdated, and potentially deadly if dosed incorrectly; though it still has it's niche.

I sincerely hope, your vaccinations serve you well  should either of you contract COVID19.

As I discovered, wearing a mask and exercising the standard precautions is not a guarantee. I suspect my downfall was not washing my hands/using sanitizer often enough when going outside our home.

Edited by Ray,IN

On 10/1/2021 at 6:06 PM, RV_ said:

I thought I could wait until COVID was over. WRONG!

Your experience reminds me of when I got a cancer diagnosis, but at least I didn't have a pandemic to worry about or deal with. Wishing you the best with this and hoping that you will recover your health, as I have. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

15 hours ago, Dutch_12078 said:

If you're going to be a long term supplemental oxygen user, along with your home concentrator take a look at the Inogen One portable battery operated concentrators. My wife has COPD and has a large DeVilbis concentrator and several large and small tanks that our insurance pays for, but her favorite device for outside use, shopping, appointments, etc, is the Inogen One G5 portable concentrator our daughters bought for her. She has one battery for it that lasts ~4 hours, and a "double" battery that lasts ~10 hours plus a 12-volt power cord. Inogen required her doctor's sign off for the purchase. Our insurance provider would cover a portable concentrator after she was on the tanks for a year, but the unit the medical equipment provider they use supplies is not very well rated.

Thanks for the info Dutch. My prognosis according to my cardiopulmonary doc is that I'll be off oxygen anywhere from a couple of months to 4 months. But I will be on Eliquis or other blood thinner for life. I already talked to Inogen and found another brand Caire I think it was too. Pricey! Since AFAIK I won't need oxygen for long the rental unit will do just fine for a few months. My TFL insurance covers 100% of it, and they just swapped it out as it would not fill the little carry tanks as it should. The tech was here an hour after I called. They also delivered a large backup tank in case of power failure good for almost 30 hours. Wow! I believe I'll get a conventional backup genset for here since we're moving to a ranch if we can find one. Then it's solar and Powerwalls.

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

15 hours ago, Barbaraok said:

RV, do as they tell you and don't feel you are an added burden, I think those treating non-covid patients view it is somewhat liberating.   Yes, the new blood thinners are an improvement.  Fingers crossed that everything goes well.

My third day I got discharged about suppertime we had two Code Blue called just on my side of the square. My doc lost one and the other was revived. Then chatted with me for a half hour decompressing and making sure I had a grip on my best steps to full recovery. Yes we tend to live and are vaccinated and not doing the latest ivermectin or whatever.

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

13 hours ago, bigjim said:

Ray - RV sure hope your issues resolve well.  I am thinking positive thoughts.  I am also trying to remember to do what you did and not try to tough it out no matter what.  Tough lesson for me but you guys are setting good examples.

Jim, thanks for that. I agree Ray is a good guy. I don't know about good examples except in my case on what not to do. We all need to hang tough and be careful. Remember if I am clear of Covid next week all should be well. But I was exposed, albeit vaccinated.

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

7 hours ago, Ray,IN said:

Good grief Derek; that is frightening. I wish you the very best my friend.  Yes the old Warfarin drug is way outdated, and potentially deadly if dosed incorrectly; though it still has it's niche.

I sincerely hope, your vaccinations serve you well  should either of you contract COVID19.

As I discovered, wearing a mask and exercising the standard precautions is not a guarantee. I suspect my downfall was not washing my hands/using sanitizer often enough when going outside our home.

Ray, thanks bud! We sanitize,every time we get back in the car from any necessary indoor trips, mask at all times and skip outdoor stuff. 95% here don't wear masks.

I agree on Warfarin just for niche uses. I sure hope I am still clear until I get my booster. In 12 days.

How are you guys doing?

uvwVfP8l.jpg

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

Thanks Noteven, If I did not get infected in the hospital I will hang in there. I still have some game in me.

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

1 hour ago, RV_ said:

Thanks Noteven, If I did not get infected in the hospital I will hang in there. I still have some game in me.

I'm expecting a ride in a Tesla for a burger once overland travel is permitted. I have my papers.

So you get well... 🙂

Edited by noteven

"Are we there yet?" asked no motorcycle rider, ever. 

5 hours ago, noteven said:

I'm expecting a ride in a Tesla for a burger once overland travel is permitted. I have my papers.

So you get well... 🙂

You got it bud! If COVID is still active you can get them to go and bring them here. If they get a plaid demonstrator at our local Tesla showroom and service center you need to free test drive it too.

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998