Using a broker

Rvnotyet

17 minutes ago, Rvnotyet said:

I am looking to buy a small Winnie, and it's being sold by "PopRv", seems to be a broker for rvs and boats.  Does anyone know anything about them?  They want a considerable deposit up front,  and I don't know anyone who has worked with them.  Any thoughts?  Thanks!

I would never give anyone a deposit up front,  unless it was guaranteed fully refundable without exceptions!

2005 Winnebago Voyage 38J

I tried to work with Pops RV on a 5th wheel awhile back, and it seemed like a shell game was going on.  Never got pics I asked for, they kept asking for a deposit before i even laid eyes on the unit, said I couldn't have it 3rd party inspected until they had my deposit, which was 10% of the sale price.  I walked.... RAN away.

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

• 2 weeks later...

I've worked with PoPRvs twice, once as a buyer and once as a seller. They are on the up and up. In both cases the broker was a normal, non salesy- person.

If you're interested in buying an RV you can certainly talk with them about it, look at it virtually (they take 100s of pix and a walkthrough video and post on many sites, including RVTrader.com), schedule a live walk-through, ask all the questions you want from them and the seller. No money need exchange hands.

But if you want them to change the listings to "Pending" and not sell to anyone else while you're considering, then yes they want you to make an offer (which is 100% cancellable after an inspection and test drive) and put down a 10% deposit or $2500, whichever is greater.

That goes into an escrow account. Then you have a couple/three weeks to ask more questions, get an inspection, a test drive, and so on. If you change your mind for any reason you get all your deposit back and the purchase offer is rescinded. (This happened to me when the RV I was interested in basically flunked inspection. My deposit was back in my bank account in 3 days.)

I just sold my RV with them, and as a seller they were fine too. You pay 10% of the selling price to them. Basically they ask "what do you want to walk away with" and add 10% to that and list it. 

I didn't read any of Kirk's links ... I assume they say they're horrible. LOL.  [Edit: Incorrect, I only read one of them. Others were mostly positive. It is a "neutral list". Thanks Kirk]

FWIW they started (and still) sell boats, and the company is called PoPYachts. They got into RVs about 10 years ago think. 

Edited by amarie1

2018 Forest River Sunseeker 2290SC
25 feet, Chevy Express 4500
"Angie" (short for Angel)

Yet another person to take a portion of the money spent by one person supposed to be paid to another person for good, AKA "The Middleman". 

I personally try to remove as many "Middlepersons" from anything I purchase.  Sometimes it's impossible, but unless I hire a person to find something for me, then I don't want to have them contact me about a "for sale" item. 

It may not be the same, but I thought about shipping a vehicle. Didn't realize when asking for an estimate, I was putting the word out to multiple "Brokers" to try and find a shipper for me. I'm still getting "Offers" for shipping my vehicle. Which I decided to do for myself. 

No "Brokers" for me. 

Rod

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

It’s all about the convenience of not dealing with people (tire kickers and low ballers) trying to buy your rig. Some people are willing to pay, plus they know what the market value is on your rig. 

Edited by rynosback

2015 Ram 3500 RC DRW CTD AISIN 410 rear

2016 Mobile Suites 38RSB3

3 hours ago, amarie1 said:

I didn't read any of Kirk's links ... I assume they say they're horrible. LOL.

Since you didn't read any of them, then please don't post conclusions. There are both good and bad reviews. The Better Business Bureau report is the one that I would give the most credibility. I have no dog in this fight and only posted all reviews that I could find. 

Edited by Kirk W
repair a typo

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

11 hours ago, lappir said:

Yet another person to take a portion of the money spent by one person supposed to be paid to another person for good, AKA "The Middleman". 

Pretty much describes most businesses except mining and farming. 

Wayne & Jinx
2017 F-350 diesel, dually
2006 Carriage Carri-Lite 36KSQ

Jinx and Wayne

2006 Carriage Carri-Lite 36KSQ

10 hours ago, Kirk W said:

Since you didn't read any of them, then please don't post conclusions. There are both good and bad reviews. The Better Business Bureau report is the one that I would give the most credibility. I have no dog in this fight and only posted all reviews that I could find. 

Ah of course Kirk, my apologies. I did visit the RVInsider link before posting and mistakenly assumed most or all of them were similar. Thank you for being so helpful in providing the links.

Regarding PopRVs negative reviews it looks like many/most of them stem from poor performance from the local broker. Like getting a bad real estate agent. Something the company needs to address for sure. 

For potential buyers I can see it's frustrating that PopSells (while walk-throughs are fine) won't let them do a test drive or have an inspection until they make an acceptable purchase offer and transmit a down payment to escrow. It seems backwards. 

But as a seller, I so understand this. I am not a dealer with a staff. It was tremendously time-consuming to schedule and conduct walkthroughs and test drives with potential buyers when I first tried to sell it on my own. Especially because my RV was stored in a location 40 minutes away. At least 4 or 5 people fiddled around with it, asked many questions, and drove it (with me in the passenger seat) and then I never heard from them again. That's on top of the dozens of email inquiries, phone conversations, and being stood up a few times. 

When I was a buyer last year looking for my first RV, and found the exact model I wanted in a nearby town and the price was right and the description, mileage, and images all looked good, then learned from their PopSales broker that I'd actually have to make a purchase offer before I could do a test drive (or even see it, since it was 3 hour drive away), I was aghast. But the broker told me -- and it made sense -- "if the RV is perfect, just as described, test drive goes great and inspection is great, what would you pay for it? That's easy to come up with a figure then, right? So do that, because then if the RV is not perfect, you just cancel the offer and you lose nothing." Which is what happened in that particular case.

Paying them 10% is a lot of money I agree (as I mentioned, they usually just add 10% to your desired selling price). But it saves all the above hassle, and their back office handles all the payments, escrows, legal stuff, titles etc. I don't even need to be there for the walkthroughs or inspections, the broker is there.

I ended up buying my first used RV, and now, my second used one (after selling the first), via a private sale, just me and the seller/s. In both cases I had to pay cash in order for them to pay off their loan, which means bank visits and a lot of trust. A LOT of trust, as I waited for their lien holders to send them the title, and as I drove around in "their" RV in a different state. We each just had a notarized bill of sale in case any glitches. I am happy that the trust paid off and no one had to pay anyone 10%. But it's a gamble, and a hassle. 

AM