Quick, easy (and free) way to make Facebook more bearable

RV_

Since most folks on the road connect via cellular connections with some limitations this browser extension appears to be able to limit autoplay and lots of other FB "Features" on laptops and desktops not on the phones themselves. I can't test it on mobile systems like RVrs use generally. But if they use a Windows or Apple computer to connect this program does it at the Windows computer or tablet and Apple computers too.

Excerpts:

What operating systems are compatible with F.B. Purity?

The operating system doesn't really matter, so it should work fine on Windows 10,8,7, Linux, MacOS, Chrome OS, basically whichever operating systems will run the following web browsers: Firefox, Chrome, Opera, Safari, Brave and Maxthon will work fine with FB Purity. e.g Windows, Linux, Mac etc. Please note that FB Purity will not run on mobile / tablet browsers on Iphone or Android, or the IPad / Ipad2 / Ipad3 / IOS etc as they are not compatible.

One of the best things that I did to improve my Facebook experience was to install a browser extension called FB Purity.

I honestly think that without this I would have dumped Facebook a long time ago.

Must read:  to take control of your Facebook experience."

Who doesn't need some of that in their life?

There's so much built into FB Purity that it's hard to know where to start, so I'll just cover the features that I find useful.

There's a text filter system that lets you filter out specific keywords/phrases. This is great for making things like political posts and anti-vax/5G conspiracy tinfoil hat garbage evaporate.

There's also a powerful image content filter that lets you filter out images of cats, dogs, selfies, babies, memes, food, and smoking. It also allows you to create custom image content filters.

With a few clicks you can hide all of the following: Events, Games and App Requests, Recommended Pages, Suggested Groups, People You May Know / Find More Friends, Get Connected, Pokes, Friend Requests, Birthdays, Chat, Trending Topics / Trending Hashtags, Businesses For You, Stories, Watchlist.

I no longer get invites to play games, which is just super.

FB Purity will also tell you on your list has deleted, unfriended or blocked you. This can reveal some interesting trends, but on the whole I'm not that bothered by what other people choose to do.

FB Purity is only available for desktop browsers -- Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome (and any Chromium-based browser), Edge, Safari, Opera, Brave and Maxthon -- and runs on Windows, macOS, Linux, and  Chrome OS (so unfortunately there's no version for iOS/Android).

FB Purity is donationware, so if you like it, you can donate to keep the project moving forward.

I've had FB Purity installed on my desktops and laptops for several years. The browser extension is solid and reliable, and is updated regularly. There are a few unsupported features currently because of the new Facebook look, but on the whole it does an excellent job."

Source:

https://www.zdnet.com/article/quick-easy-and-free-way-to-make-facebook-more-bearable/?bhid={%24external_id}&cid={%24contact_id}&eh={%24CF_emailHash}&ftag=TRE-03-10aaa6b&mid={%24MESSAGE_ID}&utm_source=pocket_mylist

The direct link to download it again is here:

https://www.fbpurity.com/

"How can I Remove / Uninstall FB Purity?

Firefox: If you have the add-on version installed, you can remove it via the Firefox Tools/Addons/Extensions menu. If you have the GreaseMonkey script version installed, you can do so via the "Tools/Greasemonkey/Manage User Scripts" menu.
Google Chrome: You can uninstall FBP via the Extensions menu, to get there first click the "3 vertical dots" Menu Button in the top right of the browser, then select "More Tools/Extensions".
Apple Safari: If you are using the Greasemonkey script version of FBP, can uninstall it via the Tampermonkey extension's options screen, or uninstall Tampermonkey if FBP is your only GM script.
Microsoft Edge: You can uninstall the FBP Edge extension by clicking the "3 dots" menu at the top right of the browser, then select Extensions, then click "FB Purity - Clean up Facebook" then click the "Remove" button at the bottom of the extension listing. Or if you have installed the Greasemonkey script version of FBP (via Tampermonkey) open the Tampermonkey options screen and remove the FBP script via the Tampermonkey "dashboard"
Opera: You can uninstall the FBP extension via the Extensions menu"

Edited by RV_

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

Thanks Scott and JBH! I was hesitant to download it and have a big learning curve, but will do so tonight.

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire