Visible on Netgear 815 HotSpot

rbertalotto

I currently have a Netgear 815 hotspot that is running the $23 a month T-Mobile unlimited service. In the last year or so I've used it exactly zero times as I have another 815 running AT&T Unlimited which works great most everywhere I go. T-Mobile has very spotty reception and very slow speeds once you exhaust the highspeed part of the plan. (My third option is my phone is Verizon with a 15g limit on hotspot streaming)

I'm thinking about going with visible. Will it work in a Netgear 815 HotSpot?

Thanks

RoyB

South of Boston

2021 Dodge 2500 - 6.4L

Forest River 19RR Toy Hauler

Roofnest Falcon Rooftop Tent

www.rvbprecision.com

yes. internet data speed unlimited with phone. 5 mbps with hotspot unlimited. I have not personally tried to stream tv with visible. Some have reported it works and others not. i have played youtube on laptop using visible hotspot. took longer to load but played fine. 

Edited by GlennWest

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

Yes I wasn't implying it would not work. Just letting him know the speed difference. Also I haven't tried with tv as I have a grandfather unlimited mifi we use. We would save only ten dollars a month but would likely have to get a separate mifi device since mine likely locked on Verizon. Just tried putting my sim card in a version phone and no go. Had to get an unlocked phone. 

Edited by GlennWest

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

First, the AT&T Unite Explore (Aka AC815S) only supports bands 2, 4, 5, 12, 17, 29 and 30 (our review: https://www.rvmobileinternet.com/gear/att-unite-explore/).

For minimum Verizon LTE support, you want support for at least 2, 4, 5, 13 and 66. Band 13 is critically important for Verizon, it's their long range band. But if your AT&T device is unlocked, it will work - you'll just be missing a huge chunk of Verizon's coverage across the nation. 

Next, Visible is a smartphone plan and only authorized for use on smartphones, not mobile hotspots. While it does 'just work', they do have the right to block usage. And their hotspot usage is capped at 5 Mbps - which is plenty for most stuff on the web. They claim to expect only 480p (SD) video streaming on Visible.  

- Cherie

Cherie & Chris (and Kiki *meow*) / Personal Blog: Technomadia.com
Technomads (technology enabled nomads) since 2006

Our Nomadic Fleet:
RVs:
Zephyr: 1961 GM 4106 bus conversion / Blooper: 2020.5 Winnebago Travato GL Boat: Y-Not: 1999 Bayliner 4788

Hosts of the Mobile Internet Resource Center
Mobile Internet Information for RVers, Cruisers & Nomads
Proud to be recognized as Escapee's Commercial Partners #773 / Escapees RVOU Instructors

10 hours ago, Technomadia said:

First, the AT&T Unite Explore (Aka AC815S) only supports bands 2, 4, 5, 12, 17, 29 and 30 (our review: https://www.rvmobileinternet.com/gear/att-unite-explore/).

For minimum Verizon LTE support, you want support for at least 2, 4, 5, 13 and 66. Band 13 is critically important for Verizon, it's their long range band. But if your AT&T device is unlocked, it will work - you'll just be missing a huge chunk of Verizon's coverage across the nation. 

Next, Visible is a smartphone plan and only authorized for use on smartphones, not mobile hotspots. While it does 'just work', they do have the right to block usage. And their hotspot usage is capped at 5 Mbps - which is plenty for most stuff on the web. They claim to expect only 480p (SD) video streaming on Visible.  

- Cherie

I have an 815S I'm currently using for AT&T, and a 7730L I'm using for Verizon. A friend is offering me an Inseego (Novatel) 7000 for $40 before he lists it on eBay. I understand the 7000 is basically a 7730L with bands 12, 17, and 29 added. I'm thinking that would make it pretty universal for all three major carriers, with the correct SIM of course. Am I missing anything there?

Edited by Dutch_12078
typo

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

We keep a list of the critical bands for each carrier in this guide:

https://www.rvmobileinternet.com/guides/the-four-major-us-carriers-data-comparison/

- Cherie

Cherie & Chris (and Kiki *meow*) / Personal Blog: Technomadia.com
Technomads (technology enabled nomads) since 2006

Our Nomadic Fleet:
RVs:
Zephyr: 1961 GM 4106 bus conversion / Blooper: 2020.5 Winnebago Travato GL Boat: Y-Not: 1999 Bayliner 4788

Hosts of the Mobile Internet Resource Center
Mobile Internet Information for RVers, Cruisers & Nomads
Proud to be recognized as Escapee's Commercial Partners #773 / Escapees RVOU Instructors