Fixed my hanging brake.

Pete Kildow

Read on here a good while ago, some were having an issue with one brake hanging up. Well went to move my truck a few weeks ago. Left brake was not releasing, when it did it was slow. So being the brake cans were no telling how old. Got a pair $70. for both. :D Thought I would save myself some time and effort. So took apart the new cans and the old cans. Just swapped out the the can, leaving my old bolted parts to the truck.

Being lazy bit me in the Butt. Yes still hanging up after the new cans. But I did have a little air leak on one pancake gasket. so I did need to change them out anyways. Plus the other one had cracks in it also. So though brake shoes will last 5000 more mines easy. But will just get a new set put on and be done with it.

Shop that put the shoes on, does great work. But when I picked the truck up. Buddy that owns the shop told me. Your not going to believe this. When we got the new brake shoes on. Brake was still hanging up! Over the years he has done many thousands of these jobs. After checking everything on that side again. Come to find out, the back part was the issue. Yes where the rod connects to the slack adjuster. There's a piece that keeps the spring from getting caught where the rod comes though the housing. That part was gone, letting the spring catch. He could push the plunger back by hand and the brake would not hang.

So after redoing my shortcut, all works as it should. Guys I know I have one around 100 of these myself and half of those the shortcut way. When its 0 out and laying in a parking lot. This is also my first time having this issue.

So if you have a brake shoe hanging. With the truck in gear and shut off. Reach under and see if you can push the slack adjuster back in. If so yours has the same issue.

Sad part guess were going to sell our Kenworth T600 now. As were going back to a Ram 3500 and a triple side Truck camper. So guess I will be without the KW soon. Sure hate to see it go, but have a guy that wants to look at it. He pulls RVs for a living with a 53ft trailer. So hate to see him get it in a way. As he will be removing the bed and putting a 5th wheel back on it.

Edited by Pete Kildow

event.png

Howdy Pete,

Having had a 3500 dualy Ram and a HUGE BigFoot camper with only one slide, in truth it was over loaded.  You already have the perfect truck to haul your camper and still tow a trailer for toys or whatever if you need or want too, Just keep the KW you know it will do the job and it sure sounds like you enjoy having a real truck.

Dave

2001 Peterbilt, 379, Known As "Semi-Sane II", towing a 2014 Voltage 3818, 45 foot long toy hauler crammed full of motorcycles of all types.  Visit my photo web site where you will find thousands of photos of my motorcycle wanderings and other aspects of my life, click this link. http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

Don't know how heavy your camper is but I towed my Teton with a 3500 dually. Severely over loaded on rear axle. Had to add air bags. Springs were bowed backwards. Then so stiff no fun to drive. Your decision but this my story and sticking to it

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

Very few truck campers with a slide that won't max out a dually pick-up, never mind multiple slides.

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

Truck camper weighs 4460 lbs Used and weight of it 2 weeks ago. Our last one we always had less then 1000 lbs extra. New trucks rated at 5600 lbs payload.

Mr Cob I did check into sitting the camper on the back of the Kenworth. But would have to extend the bed almost 9ft to make it fit. As the cab over part of the camper is as long as the 9'bed on the truck now.

Last round we had a 3/4 ton crew cab chevy 4x4. Hauled a 9ft Truck Camper with single side. Plus pulled a 20 ft boat Thousands of miles.

Also getting air assist on the new Ram. Not sure if I will like that or not.

event.png

12 minutes ago, Moresmoke said:

As a note on the original topic, the pin seizeing the clevis to the slack adjuster will cause the same issue.

Lots of ways or a brake to hang.

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.