WIFI Ranger Firmware Update, Beware

I got an email from WIfI Ranger that there was a firmware update, My Spruce had been running for several days and stated update available. I cllcked on the update bar. The download started and stopped at 5%. The control panel said Cloud not available try again. I could not get back to the control panel. My computer says unidentified network or identifying and the notice keeps appearing and disappearing as if the router is going on and off. I tried resetting to defaults with no effect. The spruce seems to bbe bricked. 

When updating a WiFiRanger's firmware it is important to use a strong, stable internet connection such as a cellular hotspot or tethered phone, or your home WiFi.  It is inadvisable to use a campground for this purpose because interruption during the update process can cause serious issues.

As for this current update, it is an extremely important one.  One key improvement is the implementation of an innovative software approach which provides for much faster download and upload speeds.  

At the moment owners of Converge series WiFiRanger routers will automatically see the update.  But many other models can successfully load it; all you need to do is call or email WiFiRanger support and provide them the 6-digit ID number of your Ranger.  If you have both indoor and rooftop Rangers, both IDs are necessary.

Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/brake system
WiFiRanger Ambassador
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

1 hour ago, trailertraveler said:

I got an email from WIfI Ranger that there was a firmware update, My Spruce had been running for several days and stated update available. I cllcked on the update bar. The download started and stopped at 5%. The control panel said Cloud not available try again. I could not get back to the control panel. My computer says unidentified network or identifying and the notice keeps appearing and disappearing as if the router is going on and off. I tried resetting to defaults with no effect. The spruce seems to bbe bricked. 

Do you have a rooftop Ranger in addition to the Spruce?  If so that device may allow your Spruce to be revived.

In any case, please open a ticket with WiFiRanger customer support so we can help you get back online.  Be sure to include the Spruce's 6-digit ID number.

Sandie & Joel

WiFiRanger Ambassador

1 hour ago, docj said:

In any case, please open a ticket with WiFiRanger customer support so we can help you get back online.  Be sure to include the Spruce's 6-digit ID number.

I do not have a roof top Ranger. I was using a tethered cellphone connection that tested 20+MBS. I opened a ticket, however the ID on my Spruce is not six digits it is 3 letters, 2 numbers and a letter (RBD52G). The website would not accept that ID so I had to make up a number in order to get the ticket to generate. I tried the 4 reboot (9:30 minute) reboot method with no luck in being able to get the Spruce to come to life.

3 hours ago, trailertraveler said:

however the ID on my Spruce is not six digits it is 3 letters, 2 numbers and a letter (RBD52G).

With all due respect that's not the Spruce's ID number.  You're probably reading a number off of the plastic case, but the actual Ranger ID is displayed in the upper right corner of every page of the Ranger's control panel.  The last four digits of this number are the numbers you use when accessing the Ranger's control panel.

Sandie & Joel

WiFiRanger Ambassador

4 hours ago, docj said:

With all due respect that's not the Spruce's ID number.  You're probably reading a number off of the plastic case, but the actual Ranger ID is displayed in the upper right corner of every page of the Ranger's control panel.  The last four digits of this number are the numbers you use when accessing the Ranger's control panel.

The instructions on the Service Ticket Request Form say the ID number could be found on the sticker on the router. There is only one sticker on my Spruce. Since I can not access the Control Panel, telling me the ID number is on the control panel is not of any help. The Service Request Form wants 6 numbers so having only four of them would not satisfy the mandatory field requirement. Thanks for your comments.

I would have thought that since you have been using your Spruce you might have had some idea what the ID number was.  It appears you will have to arrange to send it back to WiFiRanger to be reflashed.

Sandie & Joel

WiFiRanger Ambassador

7 hours ago, rynosback said:

I got the email a couple of days ago and my GO AC will not update. I have Firmware Phantom 7.0.8

I do not think the Go's will update beyond the 7.0.8 firmware. I have two Go's and both are running the 7.0.8 and show no updates available when I have checked for updates.

My Spruce had updated to the 7.0.9 firmware a few weeks before this latest release and my current problem.

7 hours ago, rynosback said:

I got the email a couple of days ago and my GO AC will not update. I have Firmware Phantom 7.0.8

At present only our Converge series of WiFiRanger routers are automatically being updated.  Our other models are being handled manually to ensure that they can support the new firmware.

If you let me know the ID numbers of your Ranger(s), I can point them at the update.

Sandie & Joel

WiFiRanger Ambassador

35 minutes ago, trailertraveler said:

I do not think the Go's will update beyond the 7.0.8 firmware. I have two Go's and both are running the 7.0.8 and show no updates available when I have checked for updates.

At present only our Converge series of WiFiRanger routers are automatically being updated.  Our other models are being handled manually to ensure that they can support the new firmware.

If you provide me the ID numbers of your Rangers I can "point" them at the update.

Sandie & Joel

WiFiRanger Ambassador

I just got our brand new 2022 Forest River Microlite 21FBRS this past Friday (9/17/21).  The WiFiRanger unit was pre-installed.  I went through the setup, registration, and connected it to our home WiFi (a solid mesh WiFi 6 setup).   After I got it connected, it suggested, the firmware update just like the original author of this thread.   I’m not sure what happened during the update, but it certainly did not work.

I’ve tried the factory reset sequence a couple of different times, but still nothing.  No SSID being broadcast, nothing. I did log a ticket with support, so hopeful there is some trick to get this thing working again.  Very disappointing experience on the first go-round with this unit.  I’m not even sure where the unit is?  There is just the switch on the inside of the door with the default SSID, etc.

Edited by redparadox

20 minutes ago, redparadox said:

I just got our brand new 2022 Forest River Microlite 21FBRS this past Friday (9/17/21).  The WiFiRanger unit was pre-installed.  I went through the setup, registration, and connected it to our home WiFi (a solid mesh WiFi 6 setup).   After I got it connected, it suggested, the firmware update just like the original author of this thread.   I’m not sure what happened during the update, but it certainly did not work.

I’ve tried the factory reset sequence a couple of different times, but still nothing.  No SSID being broadcast, nothing. I did log a ticket with support, so hopeful there is some trick to get this thing working again.  Very disappointing experience on the first go-round with this unit.  I’m not even sure where the unit is?  There is just the switch on the inside of the door with the default SSID, etc.

I'm sorry you are having difficulties with your Ranger.  What kind of internet source were you using when you were doing the update on the Ranger?  Was it a park WiFi or were you using a cellular hotspot or your home WiFi?

FWIW the Ranger is in a small white "box" on your roof. It's about the size of a thick book.

My first suggestion is to try the factory reset procedure once or twice more.  The timings are very important; you must use a timer or stopwatch. 

If you can't get it reset then the next thing to do is to call your RV dealer.  Since you have a new RV, the Ranger will be under warranty and they can arrange for a replacement circuit board to be sent.

Sandie & Joel

WiFiRanger Ambassador

11 minutes ago, docj said:

I'm sorry you are having difficulties with your Ranger.  What kind of internet source were you using when you were doing the update on the Ranger?  Was it a park WiFi or were you using a cellular hotspot or your home WiFi?

FWIW the Ranger is in a small white "box" on your roof. It's about the size of a thick book.

My first suggestion is to try the factory reset procedure once or twice more.  The timings are very important; you must use a timer or stopwatch. 

If you can't get it reset then the next thing to do is to call your RV dealer.  Since you have a new RV, the Ranger will be under warranty and they can arrange for a replacement circuit board to be sent.

I was connected to my home WiFi (Spectrum) when the update occurred.  I will try the reset procedure a couple of more times.  I was using the stopwatch for the timings.  Thanks for the suggestion.

16 hours ago, docj said:

If you let me know the ID numbers of your Ranger(s), I can point them at the update.

Sent you a message. 

2015 Ram 3500 RC DRW CTD AISIN 410 rear

2016 Mobile Suites 38RSB3

17 hours ago, trailertraveler said:

My Spruce had updated to the 7.0.9 firmware a few weeks before this latest release and my current problem.

I have had this same firmware update for a couple of years. Works fine, but Wifi Ranger states:

Support for 5G cellular
Software improvements now deliver faster internet speeds
Faster overall control panel command response
More intuitive control panel interface (clearer messaging and simplified logic)
Simplified access to control panel using automatic redirect
Easier control panel access from smartphones (both iOS and Android)
Automated login to filtered sites
More accurate and faster speed tests
Multiple “bug fixes” and general enhancements

2015 Ram 3500 RC DRW CTD AISIN 410 rear

2016 Mobile Suites 38RSB3

5 hours ago, rynosback said:

I have had this same firmware update for a couple of years. Works fine, but Wifi Ranger states:

Support for 5G cellular
Software improvements now deliver faster internet speeds
Faster overall control panel command response
More intuitive control panel interface (clearer messaging and simplified logic)
Simplified access to control panel using automatic redirect
Easier control panel access from smartphones (both iOS and Android)
Automated login to filtered sites
More accurate and faster speed tests
Multiple “bug fixes” and general enhancements

All those claims are true.  This is definitely an improved firmware package.

Sandie & Joel

WiFiRanger Ambassador